Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bleachedwheat

How to make the Conference better

SJSU is the Boston College of the MWC.

They're hopelessly overshadowed by pro teams, entertainment options and a fickle fan base that can barely afford housing...let alone season tickets costs. This school has bandwagon written all over it but the location is too much to ignore.

They are real estate. If they happen to do well, they're a boon. If not, they remain.

Encourage SJSU to focus on a football emphasis by continuing them in the MWC as football only.

We do not need their Olympic sports and they need to walk before they can run as an athlete department in the current college football climate. They are stretched too thin and you don't want them to cut sports to remedy it.

Offer the Olympic sport gap to Gonzaga.

If they take it, BYU is not far behind through leverage...the years of ESPN money pumped into their program would go back into solidifying the MWC, the predominant threat to pulling away from their P5 contract pie, and BYU would get an avenue to a NY6 bowl...seemingly with a recruiting head start.

To have a fighting chance for stability in college football, Western football needs to condense what it has and punch where it can. This is how we make the MWC better.

Why not create a conference like soccer in Europe. You have 12 team conference with an agreement with the Big Sky that the bottom two teams every four years join the big sky, while the top 2 teams from the big sky join the MWC. It would be hard to do with the ncaa, but be worth a try. The first conference built on performance.

13 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

Montana draws fans because they win a lot of games put them in this conference, and that will change, plus they are located in a small state with limited access for minor sports travel.

We have always had great fan support regardless of how our team is doing, wouldn't drop off as much as you think and unlike SJSU, FSU and Nevada (basing this off recent MWC games ive seen on TV) we wouldnt embaress the Conference with our attendance.

I would like to see SJSU leave and Montana and MSU join, the 3rd option being somewhat of a toss up between several schools that have been mentioned. I have no issues with Hawaii being in the Conference but I could see them leave due to the financial issues that they are experiencing. If that was the case add NDSU and SDSU and you would have:

MOUNTAIN:

CSU, AF, WYO, Montana, MSU, NDSU, SDSU

WEST:

UNLV, Nevada, SDSU, BSU, Utah State, UNM, FSU

None of the prospects mentioned in this thread are good enough to expand, in my opinion.  Unless the school has a football program, and perhaps a basketball program, that will immediately compete for the conference championship, the answer should be "no thanks".

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Montana is a natural fit, especially with old rivals Nevada and Boise State already in the conference. The university itself has a lot going for it, and has a new president that actually seems like he has his head out of his ass, unlike previous ones. It's got a law school, top-notch research departments, and has plenty of room for growth. You'd have to add Montana State, too, but that's not necessarily a big deal. They could easily replace SJSU as the doormat of the conference. 

UM's basketball team is pretty solid, too, and has been for a number of years. They're one team I can see as a natural "fit". 

NDSU has...a few championships and a shitty barn for a football arena? I can't see kicking Hawaii out for NDSU, it'd make no real sense. I really don't get the fascination with them. 

I don't see how any of these scenarios make the MWC any stronger. Just face it, we're limited by geography. Before I see any other school added, I see contraction if the P5 schools split from the NCAA and form their own division. Then I see no advantage in a 12 team conference to dilute the minimal funds. Large population schools with strong revenue sports would coalesce. SDSU, UNLV, UNM, BSU, Fresno, BYU, CSU and hopefully Nevada.

This is all a distraction from the fact that;

• In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

23 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I don't see how any of these scenarios make the MWC any stronger. Just face it, we're limited by geography. Before I see any other school added, I see contraction if the P5 schools split from the NCAA and form their own division. Then I see no advantage in a 12 team conference to dilute the minimal funds. Large population schools with strong revenue sports would coalesce. SDSU, UNLV, UNM, BSU, Fresno, BYU, CSU and hopefully Nevada.

Air Force, USU, SJSU, Wyoming,  see ya... Hey, come to the WAC along with Idaho,  Montana,  Montana State.  Boom, "big schools" stay together,  others find a home.  Anyone have Thompson on speed dial?  Better  yet, pick an airport.  Secret invite only.

5 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Air Force, USU, SJSU, Wyoming,  see ya... Hey, come to the WAC along with Idaho,  Montana,  Montana State.  Boom, "big schools" stay together,  others find a home.  Anyone have Thompson on speed dial?  Better  yet, pick an airport.  Secret invite only.

Nevada may be joining those schools. I forgot about AF. They likely get pulled in with P5 schools with the other service academies but might get in before Nevada.

47 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Montana is a natural fit, especially with old rivals Nevada and Boise State already in the conference. The university itself has a lot going for it, and has a new president that actually seems like he has his head out of his ass, unlike previous ones. It's got a law school, top-notch research departments, and has plenty of room for growth. You'd have to add Montana State, too, but that's not necessarily a big deal. They could easily replace SJSU as the doormat of the conference. 

UM's basketball team is pretty solid, too, and has been for a number of years. They're one team I can see as a natural "fit". 

NDSU has...a few championships and a shitty barn for a football arena? I can't see kicking Hawaii out for NDSU, it'd make no real sense. I really don't get the fascination with them. 

NDSU has national recognition, a great team and their Stadium is easily fixed, expand the dome from 19-30k and they would fit right in, MSU would have to expand their Stadium as well. SDSU has also just invested heavily in their facilities as well and have shown to be competitive already against the FBS just not to the level of NDSU.

1 minute ago, utgrizfan said:

NDSU has national recognition, a great team and their Stadium is easily fixed, expand the dome from 19-30k and they would fit right in, MSU would have to expand their Stadium as well. SDSU has also just invested heavily in their facilities as well and have shown to be competitive already against the FBS just not to the level of NDSU.

The state of ND's revenues are also falling right now because of cratering oil prices, though, too, which may put a damper on such ambitions. 

I can't believe you'd want to replace Hawaii with either of those two. Adding Montana in favor of SJSU? I'm all in favor. As a UM alum, I'm all in favor of them moving up. But South Dakota State instead of Hawaii? North Dakota State instead of Hawaii? Really?

1 minute ago, utgrizfan said:

I never said replace Hawaii, I only mentioned you're financial issues you yourself have been experiencing as to why they may have to leave, not necessarily want to.

I misread your initial post, sorry for the confusion. Still, I don't think SDSU adds more than Hawaii, same with NDSU. Could be my anti-North Dakota bias, but, I just don't see them adding a whole lot. 

Still, I don't think UH leaves, I'd probably make them a full-member if I could...but the Big West isn't that bad of a deal right now for the Olympic sports. An independent in football wouldn't be that bad either, as there wouldn't be a real shortage of teams ready to come out to the Islands and play...in any case, I think the MWC is a good home for football. 

A big problem is many of the schools that some favor, are FCS schools that have never shown any interest to move to the big boy's table, also many have a very small state population, not to mention very few flights into the airports which can be a problem for sports other than football. We have no reason to expand, but if we do lets look at schools that have already made the committment to be FBS. I would like to see the MWC expand into Texas if or when it is needed, schools like UNT, SMU, Texas state, UTSA would be of interest to me.

32 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

No. More. Puny. Markets.

I wouldn't drop anyone. I would add UTSA (31) and UC Davis (20)

Strengthening the conference means adding more TV markets.

All of the TV households in Montana and ND combined don't equal San Antonio.

(164,167,185,192,205,210) MT.  378,000

(113, 141) ND 396,000

(31) San Antonio - 924,0000

(20) UC Davis - 1,412,000

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

29 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

A big problem is many of the schools that some favor, are FCS schools that have never shown any interest to move to the big boy's table, also many have a very small state population, not to mention very few flights into the airports which can be a problem for sports other than football. We have no reason to expand, but if we do lets look at schools that have already made the committment to be FBS. I would like to see the MWC expand into Texas if or when it is needed, schools like UNT, SMU, Texas state, UTSA would be of interest to me.

The Texas pipeline is such a huge myth.  I mean, it sounds great, but then when you look at it objectively, it's complete shit for 99% of G5 schools.

Of course, it is a factory for great football players, but is is also completely dominated by big programs.  Everyone and their dog are fishing the hell out of that pond, leaving very few decent fish.  That's why schools like Texas State and UTSA can't put together a good team.  They're actually in Texas, but they can't get high caliber recruits because the entire CFB galaxy descends upon Texas every year for recruits. 

SDSU might be able to get a couple decent recruits because, honestly, who wouldn't want to live in San Diego.  BSU maybe be able to snag one or two based on their waning generational run of success.  CSU might be able to lure some who care about their education.  No one else is going to land stud players from Texas on the reg. 

If you're a school like Utah State, SJSU, Fresno, Nevada, etc., you're going to have the same problem: what do you tell recruits that will make them come to your school?  We have a record raisin crop this year?  We're the cool non-mormon school in Utah?  Come pay $5,000 a month for a closet to sleep in?  Hey, this is snow, come try to ski?

Sorry about the rant.  I'm feeling particularly butthurt about the drop down today. 

7 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

No. More. Puny. Markets.

I wouldn't drop anyone. I would add UTSA (31) and UC Davis (20)

Strengthening the conference means adding more TV markets.

All of the TV households in Montana and ND combined don't equal San Antonio.

(164,167,185,192,205,210) MT.  378,000

(113, 141) ND 396,000

(31) San Antonio - 924,0000

(20) UC Davis - 1,412,000

TV's are going the way of the dinosaurs, brotha.  It's all about streaming, which basically eliminates the TV market metric.