Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bleachedwheat

How to make the Conference better

21 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Fixed it. 

MTN:

Boise, CSU, Air Force, Wyoming, Utah State, Montana, Montana State

Pacific:

Fresno, Hawaii, UNM, UTEP, SDSU, UNLV, Nevada

Makes more geographical sense to put Boise and USU in the Pacific and UTEP/UNM in the Mountain.

44 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They're moving to this model in North Bay HS athletics. Curious to see if it works. I think it will. 

They do it here in SD. Only one team up/down though. Most small schools want to stay down though, lesser competition and more wins. I figure that'd be the SJSUs and UNLVs of our league.

This seems lateral to me; at best marginally better.  I think there are two ways we'll see change.  The first is that it's forced on us because a top program or two gets poached.  The second is that a very good program or two becomes available for consideration.  Otherwise, I think we should hold pat and do everything we can to make all of us better.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

You referenced NMSU basketball in a negative manner, which is fine.  i simply responded.  And we did win 2 NCAA tourney games and went to Sweet Sixteen in 1992 i believe.  Those were vacated later, but it did happen.  Actually the third round game was played in the Pit, or whatever you call it nowadays.  NMSU lost to UCLA.  

:lol:

I like the relegation/promotion idea - maybe coop with the AAC. Would be interesting.

This year, based on 2016 results would be:

A group:

Houston,Tulsa, Navy, UCF, USF, Temple

BSU, CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico, AFA, SDSU

B Group:

Cincinatti, UConn, East Carolina, Memphis, SMU, Tulane

Fresno, USU, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, SJSU

I really think that the University of Montana is a logical choice to move up. They've got great facilities, have a great research program at the school, a great following around the state, and a pretty good squad. 

You'll get the "muh TVs!!!1!!" crowd, but it shouldn't matter. Better football games are going to bring better ratings, and UMontana should be added, even if a dumpster diver like SJSU must be sacrificed. 

The real issue with UM though is the provincial attitude of many Montanans, who are comfortable being the mid-90s Atlanta Braves of FCS, and don't want to give up their beloved "playoffs". To me, there's no reason that UM couldn't be a MWC-level program, especially given all of the resources that it has. 

26 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

:lol:

Yes we won the NCAA tourney games.  Yes we were later penalized.  Yes we played that year in the third round in Albq.  That wasn't even the best team of that era.  Randy Brown and Reggie Jordan, who both played multiple years in the NBA,  had better teams the previous 2 years.  UNLV knows, we beat them the year they won the national championship in Las Cruces.  Those teams both lost in the first round of NCAA.  It was the third year when a point guard by the name of Sam Crawford, who lead the nation in assists, lead the team to the Sweet Sixteen.  Afterwards,  Neil McCarthy's staff was investigated and the NCAA came down hard.  Lou Henson came in to clean up the mess and lead us back to NCAA, but did it the right way.  Reggie also got us to NCAA, followed by Menzies, and Weir.  

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

You referenced NMSU basketball in a negative manner, which is fine.  i simply responded.  And we did win 2 NCAA tourney games and went to Sweet Sixteen in 1992 i believe.  Those were vacated later, but it did happen.  Actually the third round game was played in the Pit, or whatever you call it nowadays.  NMSU lost to UCLA.  

If the MWC doesn't want you, then NMSU should be working with Grand Canyon and trying to return to the BW - where they belong.

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

The only answer:

con·trac·tion
kənˈtrakSH(ə)n/
noun

1. the process of becoming smaller.
    "the general contraction of the industry did further damage to morale"
    synonyms: shrinking, shrinkage, decline, decrease, diminution, dwindling
    "the contraction of the industry"

f6199456817e369f523eea5f8d1780a139961972

Step One: Continue to hire coaches until we hit one that does the trick. See: Long, Davie, Bohl, Calhoun

Step two: keep those coaches and try to maintain continuity. See: Long, Bobo

Step Three: fire underperforming coaches. The next one might be worse, but dammit, at least that one will be fired too. See: Joe Glenn, Fairchild, Tom Craft, that dude before Gary Anderson

Step Four: cash in on the stability of having about 4 teams having stable good fit coaches at any one time

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

8 hours ago, bleachedwheat said:

So my idea would be to drop Hawaii and San Jose State from the conference and add BYU and New Mexico State, division look like this

mountain: Boise State, Wyoming, BYU, Utah State, Colorado State, Air Force         west: San Diego State, Fresno State, New Mexico, New mexico State, UNLV, Nevada

I think this would help both football and basketball in the conference, basketball wise byu wouldn't have to play second fiddle to gonzaga anymore and new mexico state has been the best team in the WAC for years now. In football byu has had a down year but will bounce back, they are starting to lose money with their independence set-up and their fans are starting to want a conference, saying there is really nothing to fight for after a few losses as an independent. New Mexico State has a 30,000 capacity stadium, which is about average for mountain west teams and they are one of the top four teams in the sun belt every year.  Where would the other teams end up? Hawaii would join the big sky making a 14 team conference and San Jose State would join the Southland making it a 12 team conference.  The sun belt would then probably drop Idaho making a 10 team sun belt and Idaho would then join the Pioneer Conference making it 12 teams.

I think it would work out for everyone involved, the Mountain West would be significantly stronger overall and every team would have an instate rival except for Boise and Wyoming.  The cost of travel for the conference would go down a lot too.  No flights to Hawaii really saves money.

Hawaii and San Jose State wouldn't exactly like this because they would lose money from conference affiliation but at least they would be able to compete within their new conferences and stop dragging down the mountain west.

So what do you all think, I know it won't happen but i really think it would be a good set-up for everyone.   

You're an idiot with an idiot 1st post.

New Mexico St. is just as bad as San Jose St. but a smaller TV market. I don't know where you live but it must be in some remote location with no internet service. All the flights to Hawaii are paid for by Hawaii, take Hawaii out of the MWC and you'll be paying to travel New Mexico instead versus a free ride to Hawaii. Hawaii does not receive any of your the MWC TV money because we have our own tier 3 TV deal that we keep. Take Hawaii out of the MWC and your stupid asses will be receiving 1/12 of the TV money instead of 1/11. Your dumb asses are making money by having Hawaii in the MWC.

Not to mention all the money you'll receive for your 13th body bag game you schedule or your week zero televised game just by playing Hawaii on the road.

I can see dropping San Jose St and adding BYU, but adding New Mexico St is just plain crazy talk. The Sun Belt doesn't even want them.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

It's fine I expected some backlash from hawaii and san jose state homers, and to be honest I didn't know hawaii paid for the trips out there.  However, san jose state will finish with 2 maybe 3 wins if they are lucky this year and maybe 11 or 12 wins in basketball.  New mexico state may not be the greatest tv market but they will end up getting into a bowl game this year and win 18 to 20 basketball games and a 15 seed for winning the wac again.  I would take another quality opponent within the conference over san jose states tv market.  Not everybody would but it's just a harmless conversation.  Craig Thompson won't entertain any of this expansion talk as long as he is mountain west commissioner anyways.

10 minutes ago, bleachedwheat said:

It's fine I expected some backlash from hawaii and san jose state homers, and to be honest I didn't know hawaii paid for the trips out there.  However, san jose state will finish with 2 maybe 3 wins if they are lucky this year and maybe 11 or 12 wins in basketball.  New mexico state may not be the greatest tv market but they will end up getting into a bowl game this year and win 18 to 20 basketball games and a 15 seed for winning the wac again.  I would take another quality opponent within the conference over san jose states tv market.  Not everybody would but it's just a harmless conversation.  Craig Thompson won't entertain any of this expansion talk as long as he is mountain west commissioner anyways.

Again, NMSU would be a disaster for the conference, we need to set the bar a lot higher than that.  Hell, talking Montana out of the Big Sky would be better than NMSU.  Remember, Utah State was great at basketball as well, until they joined the MWC.  And not so sure NMSU is going bowling this year, even if they win six games. 

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

Hawaii gives more to this conference than they receive. Really, Hawaii is like a indy-school with a MW conference scheduling alliance. No tv revenue (because we make too much from tier 3), travel subs, etc. SJSU...well...they have their market...

NMSU gives nothing to this conference outside of a rival for UNM and a decent bball school. They will be good in football maybe even once or twice a decade or two at best but will be irrelevant the rest of the way going by the last half century.

I'd rather have Montana than NMSU which brings a solid fanbase in an untapped state.

15 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Again, NMSU would be a disaster for the conference, we need to set the bar a lot higher than that.  Hell, talking Montana out of the Big Sky would be better than NMSU.  Remember, Utah State was great at basketball as well, until they joined the MWC.  And not so sure NMSU is going bowling this year, even if they win six games. 

No, USU was not great at basketball when they enterred the MWC.  They were on a downward slide already.  They went 21-16 and 21-10 the 2 season prior to MWC and lost in quarterfinals of WAC both years.  Stew was already at the end of his career and only coached 2 seasons in MWC, winning 18 games in 2013 and 2014, close to what he did last 2 years in WAC.  The last NCAA tourney they made was 3 years before joining the MWC.

Thompson or whomever can set the bar as high as they want, but if schools aren't willing to join....

That may be true for Utah State, and i wouldn't mind having Montana join over san jose state but if you look at the pieces that are already there, new mexico state has more.  NMSU enrollment is 25,000 plus, Montana 15,000 and stadium capacity is 30,343 for NMSU vs 25,203. The overall university rankings in america have NMSU at 198 and Montana at 207.  The difference their is minuscule the biggest thing would be the enrollment.  I think Montana is happy where they are right now anyways, if the conference went for a division 2 school why not go for Fargo North Dakota's Bison? Their enrollment is about the same as montana and they are ranked 198 in america by colleges but they do need to expand their stadium size it sits at a measly 19,000.