sebasour

The US has Failed to Qualify for the World Cup

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, the development system is garbage, that has been my primary point. Which is why I don’t understand why you think just having soccer be more accessible to poor kids will magically make the system better. We are not losing because of a huge deficit in athleticism or “hunger”, we are losing because of a huge deficit in skill. 

Using your argument, if we had better coaching, the talent/athleticism wouldn't matter?

In the history of soccer in the USA, we've had one player ascend to being a regular, consistent starter (non-GK) in one of the major 5 (EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1)...Pulisic. In the last 50 years, you mean to tell me if it was just coaching, there wouldn't have been at least a couple more outliers? Pulisic was coached by his former pro dad, like thousands of others, but the difference is his balance, speed, and spatial awareness are rare.

I will agree the development system is garbage...and if it were improved you would get better-developed players...but part of that improvement is to seriously reduce the cost. Until there are people willing to not charge $2500 a year to coach a kid, it's going to continue as it is. It's time for MLS, US Soccer, Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Coke and all the major sponsors to put their money where their mouths are and start real academies where you don't charge parents an arm and a leg. You do that, maybe in 15-20 years, you will see it pay off.

7 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

There are many more in England, I just named a few. You picked a couple of guys on the US squad who came from poor backgrounds...what about players like Landon Donovan, Pulisic and Bradley who all came from upper middle-class to wealthy households?

The point is, if it is free to play soccer, you get more participants, and thereby increase your development pool. Iceland is an outlier...it happens...just like a soccer power like Netherlands and Chile get left home. 

I've never expected the US to be a world power in soccer...but a trip to the WC every 4 years is a low bar considering they play in CONCACAF. Oh yeah, and they've missed out on the last 2 Olympics as well, which is more proof the development system is garbage.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/how-many-howards-or-dempseys-are-the-us-losing-due-to-pay-to/4c10dtk0u17c16q7nsa1g3x4y

You bring up an excellent point about missing the Olympics, which is played with the U-21 team.  We have failed to qualify the last two cycles despite the fact that we usually do very well at the U-17 WC. It's going on right now and the US was undefeated as of a couple days ago. It points out the largest of our many problems IMO: college soccer. Four critical years spent being a part-time player and playing very few games. Their Euro counterparts have by then been full-time for years and are easily playing 3 times as many games. Tomorrow 19-year-old Marcus Rashford will start for Man Utd against Liverpool. If he was American he'd likely be a sophomore somewhere. Academies are definitely a positive step. 

2 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

In the history of soccer in the USA, we've had one player ascend to being a regular, consistent starter (non-GK) in one of the major 5 (EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1)...Pulisic. In the last 50 years, you mean to tell me if it was just coaching, there wouldn't have been at least a couple more outliers? Pulisic was coached by his former pro dad, like thousands of others, but the difference is his balance, speed, and spatial awareness are rare.

That's not true at all. We've had A number of guys that were regulars. Guys that were definitely regulars off the top of my head...

Eric Wynalda played several years for Saarbrucken.

John Harkes played for Sheffield Wednesday for years and scored a goal in the FA Cup final.

Claudio Reyna played for Man. City and Sunderland.

Carlos Bocanegra played for Fulham and Rennes.

Alexi Lalas played a couple years for Parma.

Brian McBride played for Fulham.

Clint Dempsey played for Fulham.

Bobby Convey played for Reading

Greg Berhalter played for several Bundesliga teams.

Steve Cherundolo played for Hannover in the Bundesliga for many years. He was the captain for awhile.

Geoff Cameron currently plays for Stoke.

Bobby Wood currently plays for Hamburg.

This doesn't count guys playing in lower divisions (I.e., the Championship, Bundesliga 2) or lesser leagues (Scotland, Scandinavia), guys that didn't play much (Altidore, Donovan), or guys that weren't native born. Frankly, I think a big problem is that so few guys go overseas now compared to years ago.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

In the history of soccer in the USA, we've had one player ascend to being a regular, consistent starter (non-GK) 

Lulz. Let me guess, you just started following soccer.

On 10/12/2017 at 5:29 PM, RoscoesDad said:

Hanging onto the dream of the USA becoming a world power in soccer was nice for 25-years.  However I think it's pretty clear at this point that, no matter what we do to change the operational system of US Soccer, there are still organic forces in place that make it nothing more than an unattainable goal.  Size of country does not matter.  Money does not matter.  What matters are good coaches at the lower levels for development and a culture of kids wanting to be a soccer star.  We have neither.  Lack of quality coaching is the biggest issue IMO. Whatever talented kids we do have, are not getting proper coaching or experience against better talent (the only way one gets better).  I guarantee you I could pull some washed out Sunday Pub League coach in England and they would be better than 95% of our American coaches in youth, HS, etc.

Personally I think we should stop the charade of trying to rule the world in soccer and just concentrate on a system that focuses on the type of talent we do have.  Physical.  Athletic.  Speed.  Tenacity.  Minimal skill.  And adapt our program and style of play around the things we can do well, instead worrying about something we will never, ever be.  The US Soccer system is never going to churn out Messi's and Neymar's and Payet's on any type of consistent level.  

Why does everyone always bring up England? They never do anything in the Euros (when they even qualify) and their modern World Cup results are pretty similar to the USA's.

England's national team is only okay, and is wildly overrated by Americans for whatever reason. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

England's national team is only okay, and is wildly overrated by Americans for whatever reason. 

It's even more wildly overrated by the English. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

Why does everyone always bring up England? They never do anything in the Euros (when they even qualify) and their modern World Cup results are pretty similar to the USA's.

England's results in the last decade or so is shameful given the talent they have.  They aren't overrated, they have under performed at the biggest stages.  You can't even begin to compare the young talent in England to what we have here.  

5 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

England's results in the last decade or so is shameful given the talent they have.  They aren't overrated, they have under performed at the biggest stages.  You can't even begin to compare the young talent in England to what we have here.  

You can't compare our talent, but the English can't compare to the Germans, French or Spanish. In their mind they've underperformed in the 50 years since they won the WC (with a lot of luck). I think it's the level they're at. 

Well..I have had the opportunity to watch world cup qualifying down here in Costa Rica.  They are a really good team and beat team USA handily many times when it counted.  I am amazed that a country with a population the size of Colorado can even field a competitive team.  It is actually quite disgraceful that team USA can't field a good team just because of our sheer population.  I was watching Telemundo and they were covering the Panama-Costa Rica game, Honduras-Mexico, and USA-Trinidad.  Honestly...I was really happy to see three Central American countries qualify.  It was awesome that Panama could make it for the first time in their history.  With all of the trouble in Honduras...how great was it for them!

I have been in Medellin Colombia and I got to sit at the bar and watch them lose in the closing minutes to Paraguay and then I got to see them qualify for the World Cup Vs. Peru.  I have never seen such an exciting or meaningful tie game as both Colombia and Peru qualified (at the expense of Chile).  It is crazy how good the CONMEBOL group is down here.  7 or 8 teams down here in South America would probably wipe the floor with team USA.  They are just in another league.  Soccer is really exciting to watch when people actually care about it (unlike the USA) it makes things much more exciting.  The announcers in Latin America are also much better.  They have this "auctioneer" rapid fire style of announcing that keeps you engaged in the games.  I don't think there is anything more boring that these British announcers.  NFL/NBA American style play by play and commentary just don't work as well in soccer IMO.  These are just cultural things that Americans don't really "get."  When everyone is excited and talking about the games...it just builds more interest...nobody gets excited for games that way in the USA like they do for NFL playoffs.  Here it is just like the playoffs but it is only once every 4 years!  If players miss out they may never have another chance just due to age!  A lot at stake!

• Like 1