Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

whoa Oregon State pulls the trigger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Andersen

Nothing there about Andersen having major health issues nor about him stabbing Matt Wells in the back regarding the Oregon State job.

Just like Mike Riley belongs at OSU, Andersen belongs at USU. Wells? He looks to me to be USU's version of Gary Crowton. Crowton's career reached a pinnacle at age 44 and that's how old Wells now is so like Crowton since leaving BYU, Wells probably has bounce-around OC in his future.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Every single one of us would have left for that situation.  I love where I work, and I would leave in a heartbeat if I could get four or five times what I make for a few years.  That's the type of thing that could set you for life, even moreso as a coach.  What was USU paying their HC?  Like a million maybe?  1.2 million?  He was probably getting like 4 million a year at Wisconsin.  At Oregon State he was probably getting like 2.5-3 million. 

If Gary wants to come back, you take him.  That may be why he walked away in this fashion.

Gary was paid $412,000 at USU he made over $2 million at Wisconsin, of course he left. USU is now paying Wells $800,000 and change, I believe they could pay over $1 million for the right coach, if Wells is fired.

2 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Gary was paid $412,000 at USU he made over $2 million at Wisconsin, of course he left. USU is now paying Wells $800,000 and change, I believe they could pay over $1 million for the right coach, if Wells is fired.

I think Matt Wells is going to get you guys to a bowl this year.  It would be tough to fire him after that.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 minute ago, ole blu dude said:

That was his base salary. His total compensation was close to 700 k. If Andersen stuck around and continued to have winning seasons, his salary would likely be about 1.5 million by now. if he stayed long term and consistently made bowl games., he would probably get his name on the stadium.

This article (purportedly with texts from GA to a reporter) gives me the impression that GA is done with coaching for awhile. If not, I hope USU gets a shot at him after we lose to Wyo, Boise, AFA, and one of the other games. 

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/10/canzano_gary_andersens_exit_ro.html

8 hours ago, hickaggie said:

That may be but if he wanted to coach here I think you would be in the distinct minority. Andersen knows Utah.  He has a way with people and a really good relationship with the Poly community.  The idea that he beat up on a watered down WAC is not fair.  They had a higher Sagarin than the MW west that year and he had big road wins against 2 ranked teams in SJSU and LaTech.  They were two chip shot field goals and a blown coverage from beating BYU and Wisky on the road and being undefeated.  They beat Utah (I know a mediocre Utah team) for the first time in almost 20 years.  He took a bunch of walkons and one offer guys to create the best O-line we have ever had.  He recruited the Vigils, Fackrell, and a host of underlooked kids that ended up being one of the best defense's in the country.  We had more NFL draft picks either recruited or developed by him than we had in the previous 30 years.  He inherited some talent with Wagner, Turbin, and Smith but none of them played on the 11-2 team.  Yes, he lucked out with Chuckie but he was a true sophomore that year.

They competed to the end in pretty much every money game they played every year with Andersen.  Had Auburn dead to rights before the kick return and onside kick.  Wells teams fold the second anyone hits them as we saw vs. CSU last week in the most embarrassing debacle I have seen from an Aggie team in a conference game since the Guy era.  The score did not reflect what an ass kicking that was.   Sure Myers and the crew are good enough against patsies like SJSU and the Zoobs provided things go their way (like the other team deciding they are allergic to the ball) but the first bit of adversity and they roll over and play dead.  They were beat by CSU before the opening snap.

I have no idea if Gary has any desire to be a head coach.  He's had a two or three health scares and seemed completely burned out this year.  He might be done coaching.  More likely he is going to spend the rest of the season weighing his options as far as which P5 school offers the best D-coordinator opportunity.  He will stay in the west so I am guessing PAC12.   BUT if I'm Hartwell I'm on the phone with him right now asking how he would like to be a defensive consultant for the rest of the season and see if there is any interest and if so give him every chance to see what fire is there and if he's interested in the head coaching role.

Will it happen? 1% chance at best and its a pipe dream.  Maybe he would fall on his face too but we would be crazy not to guage his interest .  USU had 2 winning seasons in 30 years prior to his hiring.  They hadn't been ranked since the 60's.  They finished in the top 15 under Andersen . Everything may have gone his way and he was simply lucky but we'd be crazy not to roll those dice again even if so.  Because no one has been good or lucky at Utah State other than him. 

I said it on the USU board, but the head coach gets too much credit when things go right and too much blame when things don't go right. At USU Andersen had one amazing season, one good season, and two poor seasons. He didn't accomplish much at either Wisconsin or OSU. It seems like a lot of our fans and posters on this board remember 2012 and just conveniently ignore the rest of his career. Meanwhile Wells gets zero credit for taking USU to more bowl games than any coach in USU history because he went 3-9 last year. Do I think Andersen is a good coach? Yes. Do I think he is the savior of USU football who will produce more 11-2 seasons if he returns? No. Do I think he will win more games than Wells? Honestly, I have no idea. I'm not sufficiently convinced that he would be better than Wells to push Wells out the door even if Andersen does want the job. Personally, I think Wells should keep his job if he goes to a bowl game and maybe even if he doesn't. If the wheels come off this season and Wells needs to be replaced, I think we should give Andersen a call, but I wouldn't offer him the job immediately. We should do a search and see who else is available. If the choice is between Andersen and someone like Brent Brennan or Jay Norvell, you obviously go with the guy who has experience (and a bit of success) as a head coach. But I'm not sure I would take Gary Andersen over, for example, Lance Anderson. (I don't think it's likely that Lance Anderson is interested, but I would definitely give him a call if USU is in the market for a coach.) I think Andersen is a good coach but not nearly as good as many of our fans (and apparently many on this board) seem to think he is.

36 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

I said it on the USU board, but the head coach gets too much credit when things go right and too much blame when things don't go right. At USU Andersen had one amazing season, one good season, and two poor seasons. He didn't accomplish much at either Wisconsin or OSU. It seems like a lot of our fans and posters on this board remember 2012 and just conveniently ignore the rest of his career. Meanwhile Wells gets zero credit for taking USU to more bowl games than any coach in USU history because he went 3-9 last year. Do I think Andersen is a good coach? Yes. Do I think he is the savior of USU football who will produce more 11-2 seasons if he returns? No. Do I think he will win more games than Wells? Honestly, I have no idea. I'm not sufficiently convinced that he would be better than Wells to push Wells out the door even if Andersen does want the job. Personally, I think Wells should keep his job if he goes to a bowl game and maybe even if he doesn't. If the wheels come off this season and Wells needs to be replaced, I think we should give Andersen a call, but I wouldn't offer him the job immediately. We should do a search and see who else is available. If the choice is between Andersen and someone like Brent Brennan or Jay Norvell, you obviously go with the guy who has experience (and a bit of success) as a head coach. But I'm not sure I would take Gary Andersen over, for example, Lance Anderson. (I don't think it's likely that Lance Anderson is interested, but I would definitely give him a call if USU is in the market for a coach.) I think Andersen is a good coach but not nearly as good as many of our fans (and apparently many on this board) seem to think he is.

...and just like you were told on USUFans, you're an idiot. You're taking accomplishments out of context and even listing them in reverse order to try and convince yourself that you know something. In what order were Andersen's poor years, good year, and great year? Oh, that's right, they happened in that order. He inherited a pretty terrible program and within four years left them with an 11-2 record (the 2 losses by total of 5 points), a #16 final ranking in the AP, and a mess full of NFL talent on the roster. If even one of those two losses is a win, if we had a kicker that could make a 37 yard FG as time expired at Camp Randall, the Aggies are in the Orange Bowl instead of NIU. Now, as for Wells - yes he got to enjoy two more really good years and a few more bowls after Gary left.... all due to what Andersen left behind.

If you can't see this trend....

• year 1 = 9-5
  • year 2 =10-4
  • year 3 = 6-7
  • year 4 = 3-9

when it comes to Wells, then there is no sense in discussing anything anymore. The man is 6-17 against FBS competition since the night we laid the beat down on BSU in 2015, let that sink in for a bit....6 total wins in 2 years. The man deserves zero credit - he has earned it.

18 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Nope.  He nailed it.

What am I missing here??  Steven, Dawkins, Izzy (originally recruited by Mac, closed by Bobo), Meeks, Bisi, Golditch, Moxley, Nutt, Watson, Thomas, Colorito, Sweet, Schlager, and Wyatt Bryan.  By my count that's 11 starters, on a team expected to challenge for the conference title.

2 hours ago, TrueAg said:

...and just like you were told on USUFans, you're an idiot. You're taking accomplishments out of context and even listing them in reverse order to try and convince yourself that you know something. In what order were Andersen's poor years, good year, and great year? Oh, that's right, they happened in that order. He inherited a pretty terrible program and within four years left them with an 11-2 record (the 2 losses by total of 5 points), a #16 final ranking in the AP, and a mess full of NFL talent on the roster. If even one of those two losses is a win, if we had a kicker that could make a 37 yard FG as time expired at Camp Randall, the Aggies are in the Orange Bowl instead of NIU. Now, as for Wells - yes he got to enjoy two more really good years and a few more bowls after Gary left.... all due to what Andersen left behind.

If you can't see this trend....

• year 1 = 9-5
  • year 2 =10-4
  • year 3 = 6-7
  • year 4 = 3-9

when it comes to Wells, then there is no sense in discussing anything anymore. The man is 6-17 against FBS competition since the night we laid the beat down on BSU in 2015, let that sink in for a bit....6 total wins in 2 years. The man deserves zero credit - he has earned it.

Andersen was unsuccessful at SUU, mediocre at Wisconsin, and unsuccessful at OSU. He has had one very successful year during a head coaching career of about 10 years. I think he's a solid coach, but I don't think he's nearly as good as many people give him credit for. And if you want to play the "coach inherited a good situation" game, Andersen already had Turbin and Wagner on his roster and had Keeton basically fall into his lap. And we had a president and AD that were working to improve our budget and facilities for the first time in decades. If Keeton hadn't decommitted from Air Force, I think there is a good chance that Andersen would have lost his job after a few years and we would have remembered him as another Mick Dennehy. And yes, if you want to cherrypick Wells' record after the BSU game, it's bad, but I don't understand why nothing Wells accomplished before then counts for anything. If Wells takes a team that returned 9 starters from a 3-9 team and takes us to a bowl game, I'm pretty happy with that outcome. If we have another 3-9 season, I'm not happy with that outcome. So we'll see how the rest of the season plays out. But I think it's incredibly premature to talk about firing Wells to hire Andersen. I don't see any indication that Andersen is a better coach than Wells, and at least some indications that he's worse. Wells has a better win-loss record than Andersen over the course of his head coaching career and more bowl wins, for example. And if you take the Wisconsin numbers out of Andersen's record, it is downright ugly.

2 hours ago, RambleOn said:

What am I missing here??  Steven, Dawkins, Izzy (originally recruited by Mac, closed by Bobo), Meeks, Bisi, Golditch, Moxley, Nutt, Watson, Thomas, Colorito, Sweet, Schlager, and Wyatt Bryan.  By my count that's 11 starters, on a team expected to challenge for the conference title.

Well, Thomas isn't a starter and Schlager is more a case of Schlager/Hicks.  Anyway, it doesn't matter.  I don't want to disparage any athlete on the internet, but Mac wasn't building for long term success at CSU.  I'll always appreciate that he fixed (maybe saved) the program, but he was looking for the door.  Bobo has been a better recruiter and acts like he's going to be here for 10 years.  I know he's not going to be here for 10 years, but his approach is that of a coach looking to build a sustainable championship team.  Not that of a guy trying to prove himself to the better league.  The latter approach had a lot of flash.  The former gives us a shot to keep building under the next coach.

6 hours ago, jackmormon said:

That was his base salary. His total compensation was close to 700 k. If Andersen stuck around and continued to have winning seasons, his salary would likely be about 1.5 million by now. if he stayed long term and consistently made bowl games., he would probably get his name on the stadium.

Haha no it wouldn't 

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

16 hours ago, mondego said:

This article (purportedly with texts from GA to a reporter) gives me the impression that GA is done with coaching for awhile. If not, I hope USU gets a shot at him after we lose to Wyo, Boise, AFA, and one of the other games. 

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/10/canzano_gary_andersens_exit_ro.html

so GA essentially quit on his team at Wiscy and at OSU, and is pissed that he hired the wrong (expletives).  Who's fault is that?  All 10-11 staff members are bad hires?  That's a lame excuse.

that's not a good look, that will prohibit him from getting a head coaching job again or until he pays his dues again as a coordinator for several years.    

17 hours ago, jackmormon said:

Where did you get those numbers ?

13 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

Andersen was unsuccessful at SUU, mediocre at Wisconsin, and unsuccessful at OSU. He has had one very successful year during a head coaching career of about 10 years. I think he's a solid coach, but I don't think he's nearly as good as many people give him credit for. And if you want to play the "coach inherited a good situation" game, Andersen already had Turbin and Wagner on his roster and had Keeton basically fall into his lap. And we had a president and AD that were working to improve our budget and facilities for the first time in decades. If Keeton hadn't decommitted from Air Force, I think there is a good chance that Andersen would have lost his job after a few years and we would have remembered him as another Mick Dennehy. And yes, if you want to cherrypick Wells' record after the BSU game, it's bad, but I don't understand why nothing Wells accomplished before then counts for anything. If Wells takes a team that returned 9 starters from a 3-9 team and takes us to a bowl game, I'm pretty happy with that outcome. If we have another 3-9 season, I'm not happy with that outcome. So we'll see how the rest of the season plays out. But I think it's incredibly premature to talk about firing Wells to hire Andersen. I don't see any indication that Andersen is a better coach than Wells, and at least some indications that he's worse. Wells has a better win-loss record than Andersen over the course of his head coaching career and more bowl wins, for example. And if you take the Wisconsin numbers out of Andersen's record, it is downright ugly.

I keep reading that GA was "mediocre" or "bad" at Wisconsin. He went 9-4 and 10-3 in his two seasons there. In what world is that mediocre? And don't tell me Barry Alvarez set a higher standard of winning at Wisconsin--his winning percentage is MUCH lower than GA's was. Gary is not a perfect coach (his time management in games is especially suspect), but he's much better than Wells. 

53 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

so GA essentially quit on his team at Wiscy and at OSU, and is pissed that he hired the wrong (expletives).  Who's fault is that?  All 10-11 staff members are bad hires?  That's a lame excuse.

that's not a good look, that will prohibit him from getting a head coaching job again or until he pays his dues again as a coordinator for several years.    

I agree, not the best look. I doubt he knew his texts would be published when he sent them, but that's not a good excuse. 

As to your second point, he would get a look in Logan if the job comes open this year. I personally think he'll take a year or two off from coaching. 

19 minutes ago, mondego said:

I keep reading that GA was "mediocre" or "bad" at Wisconsin. He went 9-4 and 10-3 in his two seasons there. In what world is that mediocre? And don't tell me Barry Alvarez set a higher standard of winning at Wisconsin--his winning percentage is MUCH lower than GA's was. Gary is not a perfect coach (his time management in games is especially suspect), but he's much better than Wells. 

The fans in Wisconsin were just mad he didn't hammer Ohio State.  To his detriment, they were better before he came, and have been better since he left.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

9 minutes ago, mondego said:

I agree, not the best look. I doubt he knew his texts would be published when he sent them, but that's not a good excuse. 

As to your second point, he would get a look in Logan if the job comes open this year. I personally think he'll take a year or two off from coaching. 

agreed, I heard someone say that Gary lost 25 pounds over the last few months, he probably needs to decompress for a bit.

Are USU fans done with Wells?  He's certainly been Jekyl and Hyde the last few years.

13 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

agreed, I heard someone say that Gary lost 25 pounds over the last few months, he probably needs to decompress for a bit.

Are USU fans done with Wells?  He's certainly been Jekyl and Hyde the last few years.

Exactly. The guy has a history of health problems related to football stress, so awhile off may be beneficial. 

Most USU fans I know are done with Wells, but pooling enough money to get rid of him may be an issue. The rumor is if he doesn't make a bowl he's gone. Not sure how accurate that is.