Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WyomingCoog

NFL is losing the anthem battle....

On 10/11/2017 at 6:54 AM, Joe from WY said:

If you can get past the WSJ paywall, this is an article about California's eroded support for the NFL. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/californias-breakup-with-the-nfl-1507650531?tesla=y

If you can't get past it, let me know, and I'll copy/paste it. Good article. 

Cali's always been super casual about sports. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, utgrizfan said:

When did I say that? Again making up crap doesn't help your argument, I most certainly feel that it is exaggerated and overblown. Also care to explain why you are ignoring the fact that 13% of the population is responsible for over 50% of all violent crime or why it's so hard to look at demographics of violent offenders in certain areas?

I'm just trying to understand where you stand on the issue. I think it's a fair assumption from someone reading your responses previously to the above statement to come to the conclusion that you believe complaints of racial inequality in the American justice system is BS. You've clarified, you believe complaints of racial inequality in the American justice system to be "exaggerated and overblown".

Ok, I don't entirely disagree with you. I think there are numerous cases of police brutality or shootings of African Americans over the past several years that have ignited unrest in those communities where the police were justified. I also think there are numerous cases over just the past few years where the police have not been justified; and a lot more often than I'd like, the police officer doesn't face much in the way of consequences. I don't think it's being "anti-police" to expect better from them. I also think there is a tendency for White Americans to view these incidents in isolation, where African Americans view them in the greater context of

Now, to your "13% of the population is responsible for over 50% of all violent crime" statistic. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's true:

77% of the American population is white and accounts for 42% of all violent crime.
13% of the American population is African American and accounts for 22% of all violent crime.
17% of the American population is Hispanic and accounts for 14% of all violent crime.

And, regardless of anecdotal evidence either way, it appears to me that African Americans are killed by Law Enforcement in the United States at a disproportionate rate to the rest of Americans.

Poverty and proximity to police, is probably a much better predictor of whether someone is going to be killed by police officers than their race. A higher proportion of African Americans live in poverty and a higher proportion of African Americans live in densely packed urban centers which equals a greater number of interactions with LEO.

I think it's also important to realize that there is statistical evidence of racial inequality at nearly every step of the way in our justice system, but that's for another post.

violent crime.jpg

killed by police.png

11 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I'm just trying to understand where you stand on the issue. I think it's a fair assumption from someone reading your responses previously to the above statement to come to the conclusion that you believe complaints of racial inequality in the American justice system is BS. You've clarified, you believe complaints of racial inequality in the American justice system to be "exaggerated and overblown".

Ok, I don't entirely disagree with you. I think there are numerous cases of police brutality or shootings of African Americans over the past several years that have ignited unrest in those communities where the police were justified. I also think there are numerous cases over just the past few years where the police have not been justified; and a lot more often than I'd like, the police officer doesn't face much in the way of consequences. I don't think it's being "anti-police" to expect better from them. I also think there is a tendency for White Americans to view these incidents in isolation, where African Americans view them in the greater context of

Now, to your "13% of the population is responsible for over 50% of all violent crime" statistic. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's true:

77% of the American population is white and accounts for 42% of all violent crime.
13% of the American population is African American and accounts for 22% of all violent crime.
17% of the American population is Hispanic and accounts for 14% of all violent crime.

And, regardless of anecdotal evidence either way, it appears to me that African Americans are killed by Law Enforcement in the United States at a disproportionate rate to the rest of Americans.

Poverty and proximity to police, is probably a much better predictor of whether someone is going to be killed by police officers than their race. A higher proportion of African Americans live in poverty and a higher proportion of African Americans live in densely packed urban centers which equals a greater number of interactions with LEO.

I think it's also important to realize that there is statistical evidence of racial inequality at nearly every step of the way in our justice system, but that's for another post.

violent crime.jpg

killed by police.png

It’s also important to note that a current state of poverty and race are historically correlated. 

It was due to segregation, redlining, and blockbusting that areas of concentrated black poverty developed in American cities, one of the worst being Chicago. Read:racist policies that systematically denied black people advancement and wealth and put them and their children into environments that produce despair and violence are the reason black people are on average poorer.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

I can't believe I'm defending Jerry Jones no this but it sounds like he's actually being a logical human being. 

While he let it known that he wants players to stand at attention for the anthem, he also met with his player as a group (and many privately) and let it be known that he is willing to help out with their grievances--because their grievance isn't with the flag or the anthem.  Time will let it be known whether he will actually do anything--but if it is more about the message than the protest--then wouldn't the protesters on the Cowboys team be fools to not compromise with Jerry Jones if he says he's willing to listen?

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

Well, I recall a lot of complaining and nonsense about Tim Tebow and his prayer crap on the field.  People didn't like it, but it didn't get the press this did.

You are insane.  It was freakin' crazy back in the Tebow days.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

My point being that freedom of expression has become extremely selective by the radical partisans. Basically, these folks want to ban or punish any type of expression that doesn't fit their limited world view and yet they cry foul if/when the tide turns on them. 

Agreed, and I have a big problem with that.  Protests at Berkley really bug me.  Protest if you like, but it's ok if someone speaks to you that doesn't have the same experience or world view as you.  It's ok that they come and speak and give their opinion.  It's not ok for you to get violent with them.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

17 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

You are insane.  It was freakin' crazy back in the Tebow days.

I remember htem talking a lot about Tebow the player.  I don't remember the focus on on prayer, I remember people not liking it and wishing he would not do it because it offended their sensitbilities.  I remember others loving that he did it, and the Bible belt folks following his every move. 

I post on a Broncos message board.  We had a lot of new, super religious folks that signed up during that time.  They stopped posting when Tebow was traded.