Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mysfit

Post something thoughtful thread

cwkslogo.jpg

canyon_sunset.jpg A Hopi Elder Speaks

"You have been telling the people that this is the Eleventh Hour, now you must go back and tell the people that this is the Hour.  And there are things to be considered . . .

Where are you living?
What are you doing?
 What are your relationships?
Are you in right relation?
Where is your water?
Know your garden.
It is time to speak your Truth.
Create your community.
Be good to each other.
And do not look outside yourself for the leader."

Then he clasped his hands together, smiled, and said, "This could be a good time!"

"There is a river flowing now very fast.  It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid.  They will try to hold on to the shore.   They will feel they are torn apart and will suffer greatly. 

"Know the river has its destination.  The elders say we must let go of the shore, push off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes open, and our heads above water.   And I say, see who is in there with you and celebrate.  At this time in history, we are to take nothing personally, Least of all ourselves.  For the moment that we do,  our spiritual growth and journey comes to a halt. 

"The time for the lone wolf is over.  Gather yourselves!  Banish the word struggle from you attitude and your vocabulary.  All that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration. 

"We are the ones we've been waiting for."

-- attributed to an unnamed Hopi elder

Hopi Nation

Oraibi, Arizona

One of the Final Five..........

I like cats and dogs. I like cats a little more because they're more independent. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

I like cats and dogs. I like cats a little more because they're more independent. 

Independence is not a desirable trait in pack animals. Every creature has to be interpreted in its context. 

I have a cute little story about this - might have told it here before. I have an aquarium with a bunch of small sunfish. It also contained a bunch of diamond tetras - small tropical schooling fish - from an older tank. I was feeding this food that had a tendency to sink to the ground rather quickly. As soon as the food would be on the ground, the tetras would ignore it. Picking up food from the bottom was just not part of their repertoire. Now, sunfish are much "smarter." They take food everywhere and anywhere. As soon as the tetras would see the sunfish picking up food from the bottom, they would imitate that behavior for a while. After a while it stopped again. Moral of the story: If you are a small schooling fish, the last thing you want to do is stand out from the crowd. Being creative means getting eaten. But the tetras were perfectly able to adapt their behavior when others were doing it too. I always thought that's a neat example of intelligence being contextual. 

32 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Independence is not a desirable trait in pack animals. Every creature has to be interpreted in its context. 

I have a cute little story about this - might have told it here before. I have an aquarium with a bunch of small sunfish. It also contained a bunch of diamond tetras - small tropical schooling fish - from an older tank. I was feeding this food that had a tendency to sink to the ground rather quickly. As soon as the food would be on the ground, the tetras would ignore it. Picking up food from the bottom was just not part of their repertoire. Now, sunfish are much "smarter." They take food everywhere and anywhere. As soon as the tetras would see the sunfish picking up food from the bottom, they would imitate that behavior for a while. After a while it stopped again. Moral of the story: If you are a small schooling fish, the last thing you want to do is stand out from the crowd. Being creative means getting eaten. But the tetras were perfectly able to adapt they're behavior when others were doing it too. I always thought that's a neat example of intelligence being contextual. 

That's a very good angle that I hadn't taken into consideration. I prefer less high maintenance pets. Dogs are great but they're like having a kid. They are a lot of work. Cats can do their own thing mostly. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

You can't always get what you want 

but if you try some time

you just might find 

you get what you need

spoken by the prophet mick jagger

god, I love that song when I have a buzz

black muddy river and touch of grey from the Dead too.

...must be getting early...

my altime favorite line

We were talking about the space between us all
And the people who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
Never glimpse the truth
Then it's far too late when they pass away
We were talking about the love we all could share
When we find it to try our best to hold it there with our love
With our love, we could save the world, if they only knew

Try to realize it's all within yourself
No one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
And life flows on within you and without you

We were talking about the love that's gone so cold
And the people who gain the world and lose their soul
They don't know, they can't see, are you one of them?

When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find
Peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see
We're all one, and life flows on within you and without you
- George Harrison

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.

Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to a new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom.

Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for a while, leave footprints in our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.

I'll post possibly the best piece of advice I could give anybody.

Spent some time in the early 00's in the company of a wise old man who lived in the jungles of Mudumalai in Tamil Nadu, who has since passed on. I formed a bond with the old man, enough so that when I needed to get my wife out of B'lore in '02, I took her to his place. He was old, and wise, and was an excellent tracker. And he was connected - I was more impressed by the fact Veerappan knew him than I was that he knew Veerappan. We would talk over drinks and an open fire at night. The last night I ever spent in his company, I asked him, out of partially drunken reverence, "Uncle, tell me just one secret for happiness in life."

He looked at me like he wanted to throw a rock at my head. "My God, dear boy... it's simple. Just. Be. Happy."

I chewed on that shit for years - the simplicity of the statement matched by its profundity. Several years later, the epiphany hit me... Happiness is a choice. We can't control what heinous f*ckery comes our way - well, most of it at least - but we certainly can control how we respond to it. Even during those times you find yourself a statue in a world full of pigeons, being able to recognize and find strength in the beauty around you is a skill as important as any in life.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Brian: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.

The Crowd: Tell us! Tell us both of them!

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!

The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!

Brian: You're all different!

The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!

Man in crowd: I'm not...

Monty Python - Life of Brian.

and, of course, "Always look on the bright side of life."

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif