Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

SDSU @ UNLV

I don't get where people think we have a bad rush defense.

Vs Stanford we gave up 174 yards rushing, but they average 272 a game

Vs Arizona State we gave up 44 yards rushing, they average 129 a game

Vs Air Force we gave up 220, but they average 274

Vs NIU we gave up 155, and they average 158

7 minutes ago, eeAztec said:

I don't get where people think we have a bad rush defense.

Vs Stanford we gave up 174 yards rushing, but they average 272 a game

Vs Arizona State we gave up 44 yards rushing, they average 129 a game

Vs Air Force we gave up 220, but they average 274

Vs NIU we gave up 155, and they average 158

NIU was the best team we have played.

If SDSU has a good offensive game, it will limit possessions to 10 or less. That means a good offensive night would be around 35 points. 3.5 points per possession, with a more normal number of possessions, would be over 50 points.

35-17.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/mass-shooting-changes-tone-for-unlv-san-diego-state-game/

Both teams will have a decal of a red ribbon with “Las Vegas” placed on one side of each helmet, and coaches on both sidelines will wear ribbons. A ribbon also will be on the field, and fans will receive wearable ones when they enter the stadium.

Before the game, the victims will be honored, and first responders, medical professionals and others will be recognized. A full-field American flag will be unfurled for the national anthem.

“Vegas is real small, so a lot of people are connected somehow,” said UNLV defensive tackle Mike Hughes Jr., who went to Palo Verde High School. “So you somehow know somebody that knows somebody that was hurt. I would say, yeah, it’s personal.”

San Diego State coach Rocky Long acknowledged this isn’t a typical game week.

“The tragedy that’s happened in Las Vegas has changed the feel of this game,” Long said. “I’m sure there are a lot of things that are going to be different at the game and at game time. I have no idea what’s going on in Las Vegas, especially with their football team and what the atmosphere is, but obviously it’s going to be different than what we normally get ready for.

“The game is important, but it’s not nearly as important as everything else that’s going on.”

There is a strong Las Vegas connection with the Aztecs. Three assistant coaches have direct ties to UNLV, and the roster includes five local players.

“So it’s bigger than football at that point,” San Diego State safety Trey Lomax said. “As far as this week, we’re still preparing like it’s another game on our schedule, but I’m assuming when we get out there, it will be a different vibe and we’ll probably feel it out there. It’s been locker room talk the last couple of days, but that’s obviously something you can’t not talk about.”

9 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

is there going to be airport security at sam boyd stadium?

i'm sure security will be very tight.

5 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

this is the ninth island's time of need.

sdsu 24

unlv 28

i'm still at the point right now that I don't really care who wins, I just know I will be there.

Maybe by Saturday, though.

11 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

i'm sure security will be very tight.

i'm still at the point right now that I don't really care who wins, I just know I will be there.

Maybe by Saturday, though.

On the one hand, it feels so trivial, almost borderline inappropriate in some way, to go to a football game so soon after all this. On the other hand, I know that I just have to.

Need to normalize (if that's even possible given the location) as soon as possible.

Nothing like a good Aztec beatdown to get Lower Nevada back to playing like they lost to Howard.

Go Aztecs, Go Wolfpack!

21 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

On the one hand, it feels so trivial, almost borderline inappropriate in some way, to go to a football game so soon after all this. On the other hand, I know that I just have to.

I hope many others feel the same way.  I wish I could be there.  

56 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I just still feel sick, and so tired.. I did get a little sleep last night though, maybe by this weekend I will care who wins..I will definitely be there. 

And I want that red ribbon. 

19 hours ago, Rev McQuervo said:

NIU was the best team we have played.

At the time, yes. However, nobody had much heard of Bryce Love until we played Stanford and that game was Love's coming out party and they've used him a lot more since to great effect. They've also replaced that lousy QB who played against us, Chryst, with redshirt freshman Costello, who is considerably better. Bottom line is we got Stanford at the right time and I highly doubt we could beat them now nor could NIU.

BTW, I'm  not denigrating our performance or suggesting we just got lucky against Stanford. SDSU has been UNlucky so many times over the years that luck would have to go our way a couple dozen more times before things evened out.

Also BTW, consistent with comments of dissatisfaction made Saturday night, reports are the players turned it up a couple notches in practice yesterday.

Boom goes the dynamite.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/oct/04/emotional-rebels-attempting-to-focus-on-football-a/

This week, the UNLV football team is tasked with doing the impossible.

It has nothing to do with Saturday’s opponent, Mountain West favorite San Diego State, formidable though the undefeated Aztecs may be. At his weekly press conference on Tuesday, head coach Tony Sanchez outlined UNLV’s unimaginable assignment: Moving on.

Less than 48 hours after a mass shooting on the Strip that left at least 58 people dead, Sanchez explained that his team, which is largely comprised of players and coaches with local roots, will have to find a way to put aside their emotions for three hours on Saturday and play a game.

“It’s our job and it’s the job of each and every one of us to get back up and to go back to work and to keep living our lives and to continue to celebrate and to do the things that these acts try to eliminate,” Sanchez said. “I think that’s one of the biggest things we’ve learned as a nation is when these things happen, we need to grieve and we need to give it time, but we also need to keep living and keep loving and keep doing the things that make this country so great. We can never let that stop and that has to be our combined mission.”

Playing Saturday’s game will be an emotional ordeal for the Rebels. More than 20 players on this year’s team are from the Las Vegas area, including team captains Mike Hughes, Devonte Boyd and Zack Singer.

Hughes, a senior defensive lineman who graduated from Palo Verde, said he and his teammates are motivated by more than winning and losing this week.

“I feel like we all understand what the mission is for the week, and that’s to go out and put forth a great three hours for the city,” Hughes said. “I know a victory here isn’t going to match the hurt, but if they can come for three hours and be happy throughout the game, it’s something that we did to help them and that’s all that we’re looking forward to doing.”