Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

SDSU WTF game

Yes credit to NIU.  I thought they out played us in most areas of the game.

Add the stupid penalties by the Aztecs and a loss could have easily happened.

One note...Our top Offensive Lineman sat out the game with an injury.  He wasn't suited up.  So the offensive line started 2 redshirt freshman, a true freshman and a soph.  They had a tough time with that big NIU front.

31 minutes ago, StAz said:

One note...Our top Offensive Lineman sat out the game with an injury.  He wasn't suited up.  So the offensive line started 2 redshirt freshman, a true freshman and a soph.  They had a tough time with that big NIU front.

Not having Rosales starting was a serious loss since Penny mostly runs from the interior.  The young guy couldn't open holes.  I think that's why they had Penny run some sweeps in the 2nd half.  

1 hour ago, StAz said:

42 minutes ago, aztech said:

Not having Rosales starting was a serious loss since Penny mostly runs from the interior.  The young guy couldn't open holes.  I think that's why they had Penny run some sweeps in the 2nd half.  

he better take another week to make sure he's healthy..

9 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

he better take another week to make sure he's healthy..

Word is he could have played this week but Rocky wanted him rested up for next week.

12 hours ago, badfish said:

Rocky won't be happy after this game.

Obvious from the post-game presser was that the players weren't satisfied with their performance versus NIU. To a man they said they need to go at it harder in practice this week than they did a week ago. Before the season I was concerned about the UNLV game because I thought we might come out flat but it's now very doubtful that will happen.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 hours ago, StAz said:

Losing Holder on that ridiculous targeting block call was a bummer too. I suppose it's possible that NIU decided to sit more on the run with the best Aztec WR out of the game. 

NIU has a couple of bruising RB's. Holy crap, that's the best G5 power running game I can remember seeing.  They'll go to the wire with Toledo this year. 

UNM is starting to look like a tough upcoming game rather than an easier game with WTF potential. I'd have to say @ Hawaii could have WTF potential. Always lots of distractions, travel fatigue, Brady Bunch curses, you just never know. 

kat.jpg

On 10/1/2017 at 7:24 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Losing Holder on that ridiculous targeting block call was a bummer too. I suppose it's possible that NIU decided to sit more on the run with the best Aztec WR out of the game. 

NIU has a couple of bruising RB's. Holy crap, that's the best G5 power running game I can remember seeing.  They'll go to the wire with Toledo this year. 

UNM is starting to look like a tough upcoming game rather than an easier game with WTF potential. I'd have to say @ Hawaii could have WTF potential. Always lots of distractions, travel fatigue, Brady Bunch curses, you just never know. 

Do you really think that targeting call was ridiculous?  I'll certainly give you that it was a call that could have gone either way.  But when it was sent upstairs for review and I saw the replay and that he lowered his head and went helmet to helmet with the crown of his, I assumed he would get tossed.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

Do you really think that targeting call was ridiculous?  I'll certainly give you that it was a call that could have gone either way.  But when it was sent upstairs for review and I saw the replay and that he lowered his head and went helmet to helmet with the crown of his, I assumed he would get tossed.

He didn't hit him with the crown of his helmet.  He led with his shoulder but the impact was so nasty the defenders facemask came forward and hit his helmet.

1 hour ago, k5james said:

He didn't hit him with the crown of his helmet.  He led with his shoulder but the impact was so nasty the defenders facemask came forward and hit his helmet.

I don't know where you saw the hit, at the game or on TV.  I saw a few replays on TV and in my opinion he lowered his head and came in with the crown.  The play by play guys said the same. I haven't seen video or pics after the game.  If you have one, perhaps we can take a look. 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

3 hours ago, pokebball said:

2 hours ago, k5james said:

In Rocky's postgame interview, he pretty much agreed that it met the definition of the "targeting" rule (link below).   I don't think it was a malicious shot at the player's head, but the crown of Holder's helmet made contact - so the call was technically correct.  They don't interpret intent.  

My favorite quote from Rocky's postgame presser was regarding the MAC officials, " I'm sure they were doing the best they could those officials. But they had a favorite team."

His presser closed with the following that makes me think he was okay with the team's reaction - personal fouls and all - following the eye-gouge incident:

Q. You've been around long enough you've seen dirtier things happen in the pile, but your players are so young, how does something like that affect them when one of the top players on the team has something like that happen, does that get them more charged up?
Rocky Long: Oh, I think it would upset, I think it upset his teammates, yes, I think that's true. Might be some late hits because of that, too. I don't know what you guys think of a football game, but it's survival of the fittest out there. Other than you can lose a game by doing that, there's sometimes it's worth it. (emphasis added)

post-game presser quotes

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif