Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

A couple UNM players about to become pretty popular on twitter

2 minutes ago, Squall Hammer said:

I'm not trying to argue that standing for the anthem is a bad thing, I'm just saying that it is still a political statement. I know the term "political statement" is usually used when referring to something divisive or controversial, but a political statement can be just about anything; literally, if you're making any sort of statement about anything political, it's a political statement. Saying "I love the president" is a political statement, even though it's positive, simple, and surface-level. The same is true of standing for the anthem. 

I'm not saying you think it's a bad thing, don't misunderstand. I'm just saying it's a gesture, a way to honor those that have sacrificed. 

19 minutes ago, Swedish said:

Marine for life, brother. Semper Fi!

What units were you with? I was with 9 th ESB in Okinawa from Aug 1985 - Aug 1986, 5th Bn 11th Marines, Sept 1986 to Sept 1989. 4th Recon Bn Oct 1989 - Oct 1990, MALS-16 1991 - 1995. Deployed with HMM-164, 15Th MEU onboard the USS Tripoli from Oct 1992- April 1993.

MWSS-171, June 1995 to June 1996. MALS -13, June 1996 - April 2001. MWHS-2 April 2001 to June 2004. MALS- 13 June 2004 - March 2007. I retired March of 2007.

13 minutes ago, sean327 said:

What units were you with? I was with 9 th ESB in Okinawa from Aug 1985 - Aug 1986, 5th Bn 11th Marines, Sept 1986 to Sept 1989. 4th Recon Bn Oct 1989 - Oct 1990, MALS-16 1991 - 1995. Deployed with HMM-164, 15Th MEU onboard the USS Tripoli from Oct 1992- April 1993.

MWSS-171, June 1995 to June 1996. MALS -13, June 1996 - April 2001. MWHS-2 April 2001 to June 2004. MALS- 13 June 2004 - March 2007. I retired March of 2007.

That's crazy that you got out on March of 07. In March of 07 I left for boot camp. After a year of Boot Camp, MCT and MOS I speant 4 years with the SJA out at HQSVCBN, MCB Quantico. I got out in March of 2012. 

swedish-alfup.png

16 minutes ago, sean327 said:

My brother spent some time with MALS-13 in the early 90's. He's as hardcore of a Marine as I've ever met. He blew out both knees and was medically retired in 2000. 

swedish-alfup.png

4 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

Well never thought id find a team that I hope loses the rest of their games in the MWC...

Phuck off griz... hoping you guys get your azzes handed to you all season long too! This is America damn you... People have a right to protest how they see fit... you have NO say in that. Go way your confederate flag elsewhere! Former Army here and I say good for them in having the guts to stand for something they believe in! And btw, it was totally unknown to coach Davie. He was told about it AFTER THE FACT, and hasn't even had a chance to speak to those involved.

So again... PHUCK OFF griz!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, Swedish said:

My brother spent some time with MALS-13 in the early 90's. He's as hardcore of a Marine as I've ever met. He blew out both knees and was medically retired in 2000. 

d57407c797cab757d9d2df8e3411666b.jpg

1 minute ago, I am Ram said:

What does that mean? Do you really think you'll die as a better person because you were a Marine?

(Serious question, not trying to trigger.)

You would understand if you were a Jarhead. We don't really give  a damn if you don't understand us........

3 hours ago, Squall Hammer said:

Standing for the anthem is as much a political statement as kneeling is.

Standing for the anthem is not a political statement. It's a patriotic statement. There's a big difference.

5 minutes ago, Dogday63 said:

Standing for the anthem is not a political statement. It's a patriotic statement. There's a big difference.

A lot of people would say kneeling for the anthem is a patriotic statement as well. That's the whole point of kneeling (vs. just ignoring it or whatever).

11 minutes ago, sean327 said:

You would understand if you were a Jarhead. We don't really give  a damn if you don't understand us........

Well, I'm not. That's why I asked you to elaborate. I'm not asking you to give a damn about my opinion; I'm just interested in learning about folks perspectives.

1 hour ago, I am Ram said:

Well, I'm not. That's why I asked you to elaborate. I'm not asking you to give a damn about my opinion; I'm just interested in learning about folks perspectives.

https://twitter.com/punkproletarian

So much win and fail within the same thread. Loved @sean327's response to this so called "controversy."

Those who value the flag and anthem more than the constitution need to check their priorities. When Sean and @Swedish took their oaths, it was to support and defend the constitution, not the flag or the anthem.  

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, sean327 said:

I respect and trust the USMC a whole hell of a lot more than the POTUS, Congress, NSA, CIA, FBI, ATF, SCOTUS, IRS, and @Jack Bauer's CTU. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Dogday63 said:

A patriotic statement is a political statement there is no difference.

You and others here just don't support freedom.  You hate the constitution the flag represents.  A couple minutes of someone using the rights they are guaranteed to make a non-violent, non verbal protest somehow offends you freedom haters.  

The marines here are the ones who get it.   Of course they fought for that freedom so they probably respect it more.

Meh kneeling during the national anthem, but still being ok enough with the government to accept money via scholarships from the government.  I know, I know state vs central, but the root protest was about acts performed by local government officials.  Also whole thing was started by someone who thinks Castro and Che were great guys.  Look, I am not saying these players don't have a right to protest, but IMO they look like either ignorant simpletons or clueless pawns.

Devil's advocate.  Those players are wearing UNM uniforms, as such they are serving as representatives of the university.  Could there not be institutional rules curtailing freedom of speech while being a rep of the University.  Nothing about what they do on their time, but private companies, institutions are able to act against members/employees in respouse to what they say.  Now the other kicker is the university is part of the state.

Reno was right, the best thing was to ignore it, but evidently less than a score of NFL players kneeling was just to big of a ratings machine to pass up.

2 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Meh kneeling during the national anthem, but still being ok enough with the government to accept money via scholarships from the government.  I know, I know state vs central, but the root protest was about acts performed by local government officials.  Also whole thing was started by someone who thinks Castro and Che were great guys.  Look, I am not saying these players don't have a right to protest, but IMO they look like either ignorant simpletons or clueless pawns.

Devil's advocate.  Those players are wearing UNM uniforms, as such they are serving as representatives of the university.  Could there not be institutional rules curtailing freedom of speech while being a rep of the University.  Nothing about what they do on their time, but private companies, institutions are able to act against members/employees in response to what they say.  Now the other kicker is the university is part of the state.

Reno was right, the best thing was to ignore it, but evidently less than a score of NFL players kneeling was just to big of a ratings machine to pass up.

A couple of things Poke, first of all, our universities are supposed to be places where ideas flourish and are nourished. That's why so many are rightfully disturbed when campus groups or idiots like ANTIFA use public disturbance/violence to try to shut down speakers they disagree with. Wouldn't doing the same to the protesters be just as bad? It may be even worse because as you mentioned some of these universities "are part of the state".

Apparently, it was really just too big of a ratings machine for our President to pass up.

Talked with my mom a couple of days ago and she started to go off on the subject. "Mom, why do you care? You don't even watch football." She hadn't paid any attention until Mr Trump weighed in. When she realized I wasn't going to support her, she changed the subject