Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k5james

ESPN lists SDSU as #9 CFP contender

9 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Actually, if it was those two, I think the win over the other would be better than a win over Stanford.  I still see Stanford as a 7-5 type team.  I think the Pac 12 is pretty much hot garbage this year, with the possible exception of Washington.  I can't believe how high USC is in the rankings.  I don't think they could beat any other top 10 team.

Stanford is still a pretty good team. Maybe eventually @ #22 to #25. 

kat.jpg

2 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Because Stanford and UCLA may not be very good.  The Pac 12 will got a lot of bowl teams, but the top teams in that conference don't look competitive on a national level to me.  USC is their highest ranked team and they had to go to overtime to beat Texas at home.  I don't think they will, but if the Trojans win the Pac 12, this will make the conference look pretty soft because Texas may not even be a bowl team.

That's a terrible metric.  Oklahoma barely beat Baylor.  That must mean the B12 is shit amirite.

Just now, k5james said:

That's a terrible metric.  Oklahoma barely beat Baylor.  That must mean the B12 is shit amirite.

Baylor may beat Texas too.  I haven't seen anything out of USC this year to make me think they are a national championship contender, yet there they are at the top of the rankings.

I don't think the Aztecs are going to the playoff, largely because I think they'll +++++ up once and the league isn't helping,  however Go5 teams have cracked the top 4 in the old BCS rankings. If a Go5 school can pick up a marquee win or two, and get help with other big schools stumbling it might happen one day.

TCU cracked the top 4 in both of their BCS Bowl trips, and Boise made it to number 3 when they +++++ed up in Reno a few years back

Just now, sebasour said:

I don't think the Aztecs are going to the playoff, largely because I think they'll +++++ up once and the league isn't helping,  however Go5 teams have cracked the top 4 in the old BCS rankings. If a Go5 school can pick up a marquee win or two, and get help with other big schools stumbling it might happen one day.

TCU cracked the top 4 in both of their BCS Bowl trips, and Boise made it to number 3 when they +++++ed up in Reno a few years back

I'm sure we will see a G5 playoff team at some point.  I remember when the Frogs went to BCS games back to back years, I thought they were pretty deserving.  But now, I look at the talent on the current TCU roster and I realize that those teams were great, but they weren't as talented as the current team, which may or may not eventually reach the top 5 and a top bowl game.

South Florida plays in a better conference but they play a subset of those teams. The ones they miss are some of the best teams in their conference. So the difference isn't so large. OOC should swing  it the Aztecs way.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

25 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Baylor may beat Texas too.  I haven't seen anything out of USC this year to make me think they are a national championship contender, yet there they are at the top of the rankings.

I feel the same about Oklahoma, which is why the B12 will be on the outside looking in come playoff time again.

54 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Actually, if it was those two, I think the win over the other would be better than a win over Stanford.  I still see Stanford as a 7-5 type team.  I think the Pac 12 is pretty much hot garbage this year, with the possible exception of Washington.  I can't believe how high USC is in the rankings.  I don't think they could beat any other top 10 team.

I remember just a few years ago(2014 I believe) you were claiming the B12 was going to get two teams into the playoff.. They didn't get any..I think I'll take your "prognostications" and conference analysis with a grain of salt..

I don't think that they'll make the playoffs, but they could get a Fiesta Bowl, or equivalent. If they stay focused and run the table, who knows? I'd love to see the Aztecs on New Years Day. 

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

Just now, Chad Sexington said:

I don't that they'll make the playoffs, but they could get a Fiesta Bowl, or equivalent. If they stay focused and run the table, who knows?

Zero chance at playoffs but it will be cool to see how close they can get if they keep on winning.

4 minutes ago, k5james said:

Zero chance at playoffs but it will be cool to see how close they can get if they keep on winning.

With a Heisman contender. 

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

1 hour ago, k5james said:

The only potential loss I see is to BSU, and that's highly unlikely in SD. AFA was the only questionable road game an that's over. You'll be favored in the rest of your games.. SDSU would really have to beat themselves to screw this up.. 

Politics would keep you out of the playoffs but still could be a special season..

4 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

American Athletic Conference is a better conference than Mountain West Conference and perceived as a better conference so that is going to hurt SDSU. 

But really until November 1st you can't really tell and that is when the first football rankings are released. We will be able to tell a lot by then by where everyone is ranked.

It may be better, but it is not perceived as better to the point where it matters. just read what people actually write on the subject.

7 minutes ago, utenation said:

The only potential loss I see is to BSU, and that's highly unlikely in SD. AFA was the only questionable road game an that's over. You'll be favored in the rest of your games.. SDSU would really have to beat themselves to screw this up.. 

Politics would keep you out of the playoffs but still could be a special season..

SUDS should run the table now for the regular season.  The CCG will more than likely be held in San Diego giving them a nice advantage in that as well.

Not a playoff team by any means.  I actually don't think they're quite at that level from what I've seen and no way in hell the P5 folks let them in anyway.  Could definitely be an exciting rep for the MWC in the NY6 though.  

Deep down, while I am supporting their run, I want to meet them in the CCG and ruin their dreams.  A whole lot between now and that opportunity that may not even happen.  Just where I'm at.