Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

HS Football Participation Has Peaked

Participation is declining at the same time more and more info is gathered on concussion and CTE?  Didn't see that one coming.  Give it another 10 years.  The more data parents have, the less reluctant they will be to have their kids beat their heads in when other sports are available.  

8 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Participation is declining at the same time more and more info is gathered on concussion and CTE?  Didn't see that one coming.  Give it another 10 years.  The more data parents have, the less reluctant they will be to have their kids beat their heads in when other sports are available.  

Many parents in wealthier communities are already forbidding their children to play football due to its potential health hazard.  I believe we will see an evolution of football to the less privileged communities.  Already we are seeing that high schools in wealthier areas are often limited to c. 25 players.

25 minutes ago, alum93 said:

What other sports though?  Cross Country?  As we've discussed before soccer has an iceberg of CTE problems coming its way as well.

14 minutes ago, alum93 said:

What i don't get is throwing 5 and 6 years olds into uniforms and playing football.  What's the point?  You have to know they are still banging heads.  At least wait until middle school, if not high school.  

Agree.  Anything under junior high level should be flag football.

30 minutes ago, alum93 said:

What i don't get is throwing 5 and 6 years olds into uniforms and playing football.  What's the point?  You have to know they are still banging heads.  At least wait until middle school, if not high school.  

That's about dysfunctional fathers tying their entire self-worth into their kid being a stud at playing the foosball by the time he gets to HS.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

59 minutes ago, k5james said:

This is the camp I'm reluctantly in.  My boy has been playing flag football for years and now has reached the age where he plays it for his middle school.  He has expressed a desire to play in high school, but in reality I dont see us letting that happen (he has other sports he can play anyway).  It kills me, but i get it.  Its a shame there isnt a viable flag option beyond middle school.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

Wait, this tard just took overall participation numbers and didn't divide them by number of high schoolers to look at the actual participation rate?

CU education, ladies and gentlemen. It's not like the millenials were a demographic bulge with about 30% more people in that age cohort than the generation younger than them or anything. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Wait, this tard just took overall participation numbers and didn't divide them by number of high schoolers to look at the actual participation rate?

CU education, ladies and gentlemen. It's not like the millenials were a demographic bulge with about 30% more people in that age cohort than the generation younger than them or anything. 

The percentage of age-eligible high school boys playing football also declined, from 13.2 percent in 2012-2013 to 12.7 percent in 2016-2017

25 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

This is the camp I'm reluctantly in.  My boy has been playing flag football for years and now has reached the age where he plays it for his middle school.  He has expressed a desire to play in high school, but in reality I dont see us letting that happen (he has other sports he can play anyway).  It kills me, but i get it.  Its a shame there isnt a viable flag option beyond middle school.

Obviously I'm not his parent but if he wants to play in HS why wouldn't you let him?  Playing four years of HS football isn't going to do anymore meaningful damage than just about any other sport he would play.

How many thousands of kids every year have played football for 100 years without issue?

I think people are overreacting to a very real problem at the elite levels of football.

3 hours ago, k5james said:

Obviously I'm not his parent but if he wants to play in HS why wouldn't you let him?  Playing four years of HS football isn't going to do anymore meaningful damage than just about any other sport he would play.

How many thousands of kids every year have played football for 100 years without issue?

I think people are overreacting to a very real problem at the elite levels of football.

Well, I feel as above, but I'm not the only one with input on this kid and lets just say that other person giphy.gif has strong feelings on this topic.  Honestly, I'm punting on it for now, as he's still 3+ years from this being an issue.  If my boy really wants to do it, i'll support him, but god help us both when I do.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

5 hours ago, k5james said:

I would even go one step further and say anything under High School should be flag.  I will give my kids the choice as to whether they would like to play high school football; however, I will not let them play tackle until that level.

I also coach youth soccer (U-12) and purposely do not instruct or let the kids play the ball with their head.   Proper header form is a skill that few young kids can get right on a consistent basis.   The kids' safety is much more important than the competitive disadvantage.  I believe that youth soccer should ban heading the ball until the U-16 or high school level.

40 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

Well, I feel as above, but I'm not the only one with input on this kid and lets just say that other person giphy.gif has strong feelings on this topic.  Honestly, I'm punting on it for now, as he's still 3+ years from this being an issue.  If my boy really wants to do it, i'll support him, but god help us both when I do.

Interesting, looks like the reaction I got when I brought up a hypothetical question to my fiancé IF we had a son wether or not she would be ok with him playing football. 

27 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I would even go one step further and say anything under High School should be flag.  I will give my kids the choice as to whether they would like to play high school football; however, I will not let them play tackle until that level.

I also coach youth soccer (U-12) and purposely do not instruct or let the kids play the ball with their head.   Proper header form is a skill that few young kids can get right on a consistent basis.   The kids' safety is much more important than the competitive disadvantage.  I believe that youth soccer should ban heading the ball until the U-16 or high school level.

Why not just leather helmet and no pads 'em? Makes them play slower, far more important to have sound tackling - and trades body bruises for not getting your head hit. 

4 hours ago, k5james said:

And people vastly underestimate the fact that all sports have risks because in any sport worth doing you are pushing your body to the limit.

The only truly severe injuries the 2 years I remember were on cross country and swimming. Cross country kid broke is ankle one race, got up and finished the race. We had some injuries on our football and BB teams that year, but no broken bones. Swimming, we were doing "spank starts" where you practice getting off the block as fast as you can by having a buddy with a kickboard try to smack your butt with it before you can get off the block. One kid slipped and ended up breaking his neck doing those. He was fine the next year- at least, fine enough to be a lot better swimmer than I am/was - but still, worse than anything else at the school. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

35 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I believe many if not most have banned heading. My daughter plays high school soccer and so far, has never headed a ball (sometimes I wish she would). From my limited experience, "heading" in the girls game at the high school level, is a relatively rare occurrence. 

What I would like to see is CTE studies and release in other aspects of sports and also in everyday life as well. Then of course compare that to players who have played for a while who show no symptoms of CTE and see why not.

Would also like to see the study cross checked to people who suffer from Alzehimers and Dementia who have never played football to see if their brains were suffering from CTE or not. It would be a interesting hypotheis.

Then studies to see if drug use or other things contribute to that as well. There is a lot more studies that need to be done on CTE with regards to sports and life as well. 

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

What I would like to see is CTE studies and release in other aspects of sports and also in everyday life as well. Then of course compare that to players who have played for a while who show no symptoms of CTE and see why not.

Would also like to see the study cross checked to people who suffer from Alzehimers and Dementia who have never played football to see if their brains were suffering from CTE or not. It would be a interesting hypotheis.

Then studies to see if drug use or other things contribute to that as well. There is a lot more studies that need to be done on CTE with regards to sports and life as well. 

Spot on.