Warbow

Question for everyone

What would happen if your school players took a knee during the national anthem?

I hear Wyoming players are planning this to protest starting Josh Allen again.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

4 hours ago, Warbow said:

What would happen if your school players took a knee during the national anthem?

Funny you mention Wyoming

The Black 14: Race, Politics, Religion and Wyoming Football | WyoHistory.org

8 hours ago, Warbow said:

A little hard since the players are in the locker room, but I would not care. I was thinking the other day. We stand for the anthem, but we take a knee or bow for kings or God.

It's their right. I don't agree with it, but that is the beauty of this country.  I will watch the game regardless.  I wonder how many people that disagree with the players protesting sit on their couches while the anthem is played on TV?  Do as I say, not as do........

As a HS coach, this is something we are preparing to deal with even at our level. While I may not agree with someone not standing for the anthem, I have to allow them to make their own decision. At this point, we haven't had anyone not stand, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it happens.

Getting upset at the knee taking thing has to be one of the stupidest whine-fests i've heard of (only closely followed by those who favor keeping SJSU a Div 1 school).  This country is built around free speech and these guys are respectfully using it.  The only reason some have a problem with it is because they've been whipped up by nut job media and primed as suckers to be exploited by opportunists like Trump who (in reality) give a rats ass about the issue.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

3 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

Getting upset at the knee taking thing has to be one of the stupidest whine-fests i've heard of (only closely followed by those who favor keeping SJSU a Div 1 school).  This country is built around free speech and these guys are respectfully using it.  The only reason some have a problem with it is because they've been whipped up by nut job media and primed as suckers to be exploited by opportunists like Trump who (in reality) give a rats ass about the issue.

We'll agree to disagree

5 hours ago, Castle Ram said:

I've thought a lot about the current NFL and Wyo's Black 14 incident.  Eaton kicked the players off the team for breaking team rules, not bringing politics into the game.  That didn't work out so well for us so I don't know that I'd recommend that :)

I'm not sure there is a good answer.  Kinda a no win situation all around.  And twitter didn't exist back then!!!

The World Needs More Cowboys!

5 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

1 minute ago, dshawfan said:

We'll agree to disagree

With what? The part about SJSU being D1?

1 minute ago, dshawfan said:

We'll agree to disagree

Fair enough.  One thing I think those who are upset by it need to keep in mind is, taking a knee is a sign of respect in sports, esp football.  Its not like they're fishing out and waving their wangs at the flag.  Thats why I think the 'respect' thing is just an excuse for the real issues that people are upset at.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

Just now, godogsgo said:

Fair enough.  One thing I think those who are upset by it need to keep in mind is, taking a knee is a sign of respect in sports, esp football.  Its not like they're fishing out and waving their wangs at the flag.  Thats why I think the 'respect' thing is just an excuse for the real issues that people are upset at.

About 8-10 years ago I was screaming from work to a baseball field, to make my son's game.  I parked and started running from the parking lot to the field.  The National Anthem began and I kept running to the field.  This older gentlemen snapped at me about stopping, standing still and putting my hand on my chest.  A number of things quickly went through my head.  I could have responded in a number of ways.  I decided to stop and do what he asked.  I told him I was sorry and that he was right.  After the NA was over, he walked over to me, put out his hand and apologized to me about the way he communicated his displeasure.  He thanked me for the way I responded.  He explained to me that he was a veteran of the Vietnam War and had lost a few friends.  His son was currently serving.  A tear in his eye, he put me in his shoes for those few seconds.

I have never forgotten that and I often think of him and those few moments every time the NA is played.  The NA means a whole lot more to him than it ever will to me but because of those few moments the NA means more to me because of a better understanding of what it means to folks like this gentleman.

1 hour ago, godogsgo said:

Are you saying they are snowflakes?

1 hour ago, dshawfan said:

As a HS coach, this is something we are preparing to deal with even at our level. While I may not agree with someone not standing for the anthem, I have to allow them to make their own decision. At this point, we haven't had anyone not stand, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it happens.

I hope you think about it a bit longer. High School kids aren't dumb people at all, but they don't have the experience of enough trips around the block to understand what they are doing and how a lot of the world would perceive them. They are still learning and need to be taught what it is to be behave in a proper manner in society. They can't possibly understand why taking a knee is an important form of protest when they haven't fully processed what it means to stand for the national anthem and why such an action is meant to offend those sensibilities. Many people would think they are being little shits and the coaches are failing in their duty to help raise the boys into young men that can stand on their own in society. I doubt racial injustice or police brutality would cross many minds if any. High school football ain't the million man march.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I hope you think about it a bit longer. High School kids aren't dumb people at all, but they don't have the experience of enough trips around the block to understand what they are doing and how a lot of the world would perceive them. They are still learning and need to be taught what it is to be behave in a proper manner in society. They can't possibly understand why taking a knee is an important form of protest when they haven't fully processed what it means to stand for the national anthem and why such an action is meant to offend those sensibilities. Many people would think they are beig little shits and the coaches are failing in their duty to help raise the boys into young men that can stand on their own in society. I doubt racial injustice or police brutality would cross many minds if any. High school football ain't the million man march.

High school kids don't need to be bubble wrapped. Explain to them that a lot of people will dismiss them because of their age and still think the same things all adults think of teenagers and then let them do as they will.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

20 minutes ago, happycamper said:

High school kids don't need to be bubble wrapped. Explain to them that a lot of people will dismiss them because of their age and still think the same things all adults think of teenagers and then let them do as they will.

You can't explain self awareness to teenagers in a one or even a dozen lectures. They might grasp that people will actually think less of them as people, but I doubt it. They certainly wouldn't grasp that some people would think less of their parents and families for something they did. That kind of self awareness isn't in children. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You can't explain self awareness to teenagers in a one or even a dozen lectures. They might grasp that people will actually think less of them as people, but I doubt it. They certainly wouldn't grasp that some people would think less of their parents and families for something they did. That kind of self awareness isn't in children. 

I agree.  Human nature requires experiences to understand things.  Teenagers lack experiences.

14 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I agree.  Human nature requires experiences to understand things.  Teenagers lack experiences.

It's not that I don't think they can understand the issues with this form of protest, I just doubt they have really tried. It requires serious thought and study along with a profound depth of self awareness to grasp what it means to publically transgress a societal norm many take very seriously, and the negative consequences that go along with it. When you spend most of the day focusing solely on yourself and how to navigate the sub-society of high school and the hierarchies within, you don't also have the time to consider how the real world works with just as much attention. And if somebody can, I never met them.

In the end @dshawfan it's up to what's in your heart.