Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

POLL: Is now the the lowest point in MWC history?

Has the MWC ever been worse?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the lowest point in MWC history?

• No -- the MWC has been worse before and rainbows and unicorns and shit
    • Yes -- this conference has become hot steaming pile of shit

36 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

By far this is the lowest point for this conference.  It is sinking like the titanic.  The effects of P5 money starting to crush this conference.

Yeah, much worse than 2005 when the 2nd and 3rd place teams combined for exactly one FBS ooc win

30 minutes ago, pokebball said:

The P5 chasm is and will continue to grow

Nah. TV is gonna crash, they're going to have to make do with 30% their current revenue while we make do with 70%

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Yeah, much worse than 2005 when the 2nd and 3rd place teams combined for exactly one FBS ooc win

Nah. TV is gonna crash, they're going to have to make do with 30% their current revenue while we make do with 70%

TV as we know it will crash.  But they make the rules.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On 9/24/2017 at 10:16 AM, sean327 said:

It's gonna get worse before it gets better. If it gets better. The P5 G5 gap will grow larger over the next few years. Recruiting suffers now and it will suffer more. Why would a kid go to a G5 school where he has zero shot at winning a national championship? Why go to a school that doesn't sell out their stadium on a regular basis, or has their games televised on obscure networks or phucking Facebook? Get used to it. This is the new normal.

National championships: Kids never had a chance to win a NC while playing in the MWC so that's not a reason why the conference has regressed so badly.

Attendance: That's a big issue but attendance is down pretty much everywhere.

Broadcasting of games: This I agree on. Youngsters seem to think all that matters is seeing games as inexpensively as possible. That is very short-sighted. Fact is old school TV broadcasts bring in far and away the most revenue, followed by cable/satellite broadcasts. Even if that diminishes a bit over time, the broadcasting networks with their bottom of screen crawlers, halftime and pre-game programs and the like cross-publicize to fans of other conferences and the optics of that is huge. Going to that streaming stuff is just one more example that low- (not mid) major conferences are slowly but surely sinking into an abyss destined to end in FCS status or, at best, membership in some new tier of college football between the current FBS and FCS.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 9/24/2017 at 1:08 PM, BSUTOP25 said:

Worthless stat? LOL

Agreed. It's only worthless if it's rebutted by a comparison of the competition the MWC has played versus other powerless 5s.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, alum93 said:

No FCS games were included...

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

We're a lot worse at scheduling lately too though. Way more top half P5 teams vs bottom half ones, way more body bag games. 

As I said once before, my son played Pop Warner with the son of the backup TB on CSU Fullerton's last two football teams. The father told me CSUF was in the process of building an on-campus stadium but needed to win in order to keep the program afloat. (The stadium has since been used for some soccer league even more worthless than MLS.) After having played two SEC schools the third to last season, when that guy was on the team the Titans played at Mississippi State, Texas Tech and Georgia the penultimate year and at UGA and UCLA the final season. He said their non-titan starters got so beat up in those games that any hope of winning a BWC title was over before the conference season began. That's what is going to happen to SJSU and anybody else in the MWC desperate enough to regularly have such an OOC schedule.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Took a look at what the computers think of the MW over the years (Sagarin ratings specifically). 2017 data may be a bit skewed - I think these are pretty accurate for the year-end data though.

I included top-rated team (again, this is computer ranking, not people - before you ask why the top team is rated in the 40s for 2017)

2012 is most-certainly the worst year the conference has had and worse than this year.  

With all the likely returning starters in 2018 (SDSU, BSU, etc.) I think the conference could be in for a bounce back in 2018 (but that's just my speculation, and I'm usually overly optimistic).

ratings.PNG

Thanks for the work. It's very well done and to some extent corroborates why although SDSU had a 2012 regular season record of 9-3 and hosted unranked BYU in the Poinsettia Bowl thereafter, they held us to a pathetic six points in one of the most boring post-season games in history.

Boom goes the dynamite.

24 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Took a look at what the computers think of the MW over the years (Sagarin ratings specifically). 2017 data may be a bit skewed - I think these are pretty accurate for the year-end data though.

I included top-rated team (again, this is computer ranking, not people - before you ask why the top team is rated in the 40s for 2017)

2012 is most-certainly the worst year the conference has had and worse than this year.  

With all the likely returning starters in 2018 (SDSU, BSU, etc.) I think the conference could be in for a bounce back in 2018 (but that's just my speculation, and I'm usually overly optimistic).

ratings.PNG

Perfect illustration. About where we were in the formative years of the conference but all the back-filling bought us is more bad teams. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I'll agree that some aspects of the conference are trending down, but for the most part the stability of the league's performance is intact.

Trends that have/are affecting the MWC in my opinion:

Coaches focus on performance in the conference season with an emphasis on offense over defense...which alleviates their recruiting burden. (This is utterly killing the west division, despite having close trips in recruiting grounds).

The economic affect of scheduling MWC teams from the P5 point of view, coupled with the MWC embracing its "giantkiller" persona. The economic gap not only exists between G5 and P5 teams, but also between lower grade P5 and bluebloods. This affects our OOC game win percentage greatly.

The grade of athlete over the last 20 years is changing and so is west coast recruiting. People are moving to sun belt states and recruiting is growing there.

We have to recognize the water we're swimming in and adjust:

Stop hiring search committees that have incentive to pull P5 candidates obliviously and define how a G5 coaching staff needs a certain set of skills...it's not the same animal. Stop treating it like it is.

Diversify away from ESPN as much as can be afforded. The intermountan west is exactly the wrong demographic towards ESPN's interests when it pays as much as it does (and doesn't) to PAC-12 and East Coast teams.

A successful MWC team is just "wrong size" in the amount of capability on the field and lack of eyeballs through ads.

They have every reason to stunt us, shrink us and affect the sport in favor of the teams where there are more eyeballs. And they control enough to do so...even now they're trying to influence speeding up the game to condense (and increase the price of) ad revenue per game.

The amount of cord cutters, exorbant P5 sport contracts and general fans being pulled towards the NFL is leading ESPN to influence rules for literally minimal reason.

And stop sharing refs with the Big XII for crying out loud! Pay for our own! Get them the hell out of our games!

45 minutes ago, LetTheFurFly said:

I'll agree that some aspects of the conference are trending down, but for the most part the stability of the league's performance is intact.

Trends that have/are affecting the MWC in my opinion:

Coaches focus on performance in the conference season with an emphasis on offense over defense...which alleviates their recruiting burden. (This is utterly killing the west division, despite having close trips in recruiting grounds).

The economic affect of scheduling MWC teams from the P5 point of view, coupled with the MWC embracing its "giantkiller" persona. The economic gap not only exists between G5 and P5 teams, but also between lower grade P5 and bluebloods. This affects our OOC game win percentage greatly.

The grade of athlete over the last 20 years is changing and so is west coast recruiting. People are moving to sun belt states and recruiting is growing there.

We have to recognize the water we're swimming in and adjust:

Stop hiring search committees that have incentive to pull P5 candidates obliviously and define how a G5 coaching staff needs a certain set of skills...it's not the same animal. Stop treating it like it is.

Diversify away from ESPN as much as can be afforded. The intermountan west is exactly the wrong demographic towards ESPN's interests when it pays as much as it does (and doesn't) to PAC-12 and East Coast teams.

A successful MWC team is just "wrong size" in the amount of capability on the field and lack of eyeballs through ads.

They have every reason to stunt us, shrink us and affect the sport in favor of the teams where there are more eyeballs. And they control enough to do so...even now they're trying to influence speeding up the game to condense (and increase the price of) ad revenue per game.

The amount of cord cutters, exorbant P5 sport contracts and general fans being pulled towards the NFL is leading ESPN to influence rules for literally minimal reason.

And stop sharing refs with the Big XII for crying out loud! Pay for our own! Get them the hell out of our games!

I tried to patiently address your points but with due respect, I'm having great difficulty comprehending them.

Sorry but this is a sports message board not an internet classroom for doctoral students so please dumb things down a bit. I.e.,YOU should do the work, not require us to.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 hours ago, I am Ram said:

A 10-3 season is not "dire woes." But on a lighter note: If CSU beats BSU this season, I will send @ph90702 a $50 gift card so he can take a nice girl out to a chain restaurant of my choice. 

I will give you my details if that happens.  Also, I would truly like that.

17 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

ratings.PNG

I love a good graph.  

How can the MWC be at it's worst when you have this San Diego State team?

This team represents the Mountain West, and if it runs the table - they should spark a huge debate.  That would be wins over ASU, Stanford, Air Force, Northern Illinois, BSU... 

This poll is very premature with San Diego State playing like it is... 

I'm interested in seeing where Air Force ends up...   Wyoming and CSU...

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! No, seriously HA! HA!