Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

namssa

MWC Attendance figures

34 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

That'd be impressive for SUDS..

Aztec fans turn out for Boise. The tailgates are a little harder, the crowd a little bigger. It's a lot easier inviting friends when you don't have to explain that, yes, UNLV and SJSU actually DO have football teams and play D1.

6 hours ago, mugtang said:

I wish I could but I've had some issues come up that precvent any travel this year :(

I have a "friend" who can get that ankle bracelet off. No one will ever know.  PM me.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I think a few Bolt fans have been on the fence still.  The two P12 wins may have their attention.  If we can get out of CSprings with a W, we may seem them at the BUY game.  Hopefully it'll be 35k for that if we are undefeated.  And I mean in the stands.  

The students showed what a difference they can make, and hope most will come back.

It's only one game, but you gotta be impressed with Fresno at 40k.  I'm also good with Wyo at 24k and USU at 20k, considering they're in low population areas.  We all know about SJSU's struggles, but UNLV AND UNR are both well below 20k.  That's really bad, especially for UNLV in a large population area.  What's going to happen when they have to compete with the Raiders?

UNLV is often mentioned as a likely member of a best of the rest or even a P5 conference.  I dunno if that could happen with these low addendance numbers.

3 minutes ago, GoCoAztec said:

It's only one game, but you gotta be impressed with Fresno at 40k.  I'm also good with Wyo at 24k and USU at 20k, considering they're in low population areas.  We all know about SJSU's struggles, but UNLV AND UNR are both well below 20k.  That's really bad, especially for UNLV in a large population area.  What's going to happen when they have to compete with the Raiders?

UNLV is often mentioned as a likely member of a best of the rest or even a P5 conference.  I dunno if that could happen with these low addendance numbers.

Yes, and sadly after last week Nevada's numbers will only continue to drop. I really hope we're able to turn this team around, or our fanbase will shrink.

10 hours ago, renoskier said:

Why? When was it built?

Never been there. Saw a number of game in the old "Mile High"

It opened in 2001 but wasn't much of an upgrade from the old Mile High IMO.  The club level and suites are ok but other than that there is little difference to the old one.

It severely lacks what's coming out today.  I heard the broncos were getting ready to do a major renovation to it soon.

18 hours ago, TrueAg said:

here we go again. these raw attendance numbers mean zilch. give me the percentage of capacity filled if you want to see how well a community is supporting their team.

Translation: Although we got <20K for our home opener, because USU's stadium holds next to nobody, that proves people in Logan love the Aggies.

Reaction: If you Aggies just keep telling yourselves that, your football program is bound to be A-OK even if attendance becomes Spartanian.

Boom goes the dynamite.

10 hours ago, Rampage said:

SDSU is getting more fans than the Chargers.

So is most of the MWC. The Chargers to LA experiment has been a disaster so far, and I love it.

4 hours ago, GoCoAztec said:

There's no doubt that if the Raiders come to town and if UNLV signs on to a stadium sharing deal the clock starts ticking on UNLV's football program.  If the Reb's continue to suck they'll be completely overshadowed and dominated by the Raiders.  Years from now UNLV football fans will be lamenting the day the Raiders came to town.  That said if Reb football can somehow manage steady improvement (and I mean ASAP!) and use the new stadium to recruit better athletes and coaches this thing could work.  I however remain very skeptical that UNLV will come out of this well.

44 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Translation: Although we got <20K for our home opener, because USU's stadium holds next to nobody, that proves people in Logan love the Aggies.

Reaction: If you Aggies just keep telling yourselves that, your football program is bound to be A-OK even if attendance becomes Spartanian.

I do not think I have ever been bragging about USU's Attendance, but I wonder how others would do if you were coming off a 6-7 year followed by a 3-9 year  ?

17 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Why so sour? You remind me of my employees who make a million excuses why they can't get their work done. I don't want to hear it...just get it done. 

I'm not sour or trying to make an excuse, I'm trying to understand why this subject is posted year after year on this board with no real understanding as to what the numbers really mean. Team "A" stating they have 35k attend a game sounds great until you put it in context and find out that this attendance number is in a county of 3.3M people and in a stadium that can actual hold twice the number attending. Meanwhile, Team "B" has ten thousand less attend at 25k and everyone says, "stop making excuses for your horrible attendance and just get it done!" without any context that their entire state has a population of 590k (135k for their county and neighboring county) and their stadium holds 29k.  Now, you tell me which community supports their team better?

Team A needs to attract 1 in every 50 people in the county to fill their stadium but is only achieving 50% of capacity by attracting more like 1 in a 100.

Team B needs to attract 1 in every 4.6 people in their two counties combined or 1 in every 20 people in their entire state to fill their stadium. They are achieving 86% of capacity.

I've made this same argument before and I realize that SDSU isn't an apples to apples comparison because they don't play in college stadium but the point is that each stadium was built with the population of the area in mind. We can't post raw attendance numbers for teams in different stadium capacities and populations and make any conclusions from it. The only way to rank or tell how well supported the various conference teams truly are is to use the attendance figures to figure out the percentage of stadium filled.

8 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I'm not sour or trying to make an excuse, I'm trying to understand why this subject is posted year after year on this board with no real understanding as to what the numbers really mean. Team "A" stating they have 35k attend a game sounds great until you put it in context and find out that this attendance number is in a county of 3.3M people and in a stadium that can actual hold twice the number attending. Meanwhile, Team "B" has ten thousand less attend at 25k and everyone says, "stop making excuses for your horrible attendance and just get it done!" without any context that their entire state has a population of 590k (135k for their county and neighboring county) and their stadium holds 29k.  Now, you tell me which community supports their team better?

Team A needs to attract 1 in every 50 people in the county to fill their stadium but is only achieving 50% of capacity by attracting more like 1 in a 100.

Team B needs to attract 1 in every 4.6 people in their two counties combined or 1 in every 20 people in their entire state to fill their stadium. They are achieving 86% of capacity.

I've made this same argument before and I realize that SDSU isn't an apples to apples comparison because they don't play in college stadium but the point is that each stadium was built with the population of the area in mind. We can't post raw attendance numbers for teams in different stadium capacities and populations and make any conclusions from it. The only way to rank or tell how well supported the various conference teams truly are is to use the attendance figures to figure out the percentage of stadium filled.

Good fan bases fill stadiums regardless of surrounding population. USU has a long long long ways to go. We have enough alums in utah to fill a stadium the size of Utahs. We are just a shit program and have historically been. I will make no excuses for our poor attendance owing to how big or small our population base is. 

I'm extremely jealous SDSU is drawing the way they are. Ditto Fresno, who hasn't been anything but a dumpster fire the last few years. 

Even though you said "I'm not trying to make an excuse" that's exactly what it sounds like. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

25 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I do not think I have ever been bragging about USU's Attendance, but I wonder how others would do if you were coming off a 6-7 year followed by a 3-9 year  ?

If the Aggies lose at SJSU on Saturday but attendance remains at just under 20K, I'll agree.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Just now, madmartigan said:

Good fan bases fill stadiums regardless of surrounding population. USU has a long long long ways to go. We have enough alums in utah to fill a stadium the size of Utahs. We are just a shit program and have historically been. I will make no excuses for our poor attendance owing to how big or small our population base is. 

I'm extremely jealous SDSU is drawing the way they are. Ditto Fresno, who hasn't been anything but a dumpster fire the last few years. 

Neither of the examples I gave are USU but you're trying to tell me that getting 1 in 4 people to attend a game is not more impressive than 1 in 100? Listen, I think what SDSU gets is great, I realize there are other things vying for people's time and dollars in San Diego but to be jealous of managing to get 35k to attend a game with a population the size of theirs is nothing to brag about, especially after winning back to back championships. Again, I only went by County numbers, what would it look like if we counted all the population within a 2 hour drive of San Diego? what about within a 6 hour drive? Lets put it in the same terms as someone making the commitment to a Wyoming game and then lets look at how more crazy the numbers get.

Demanding Maverik to be filled without regard to the population or alumni based is silly. Logan is not SLC where people grew up there, go to school there and then get a job there. You can barely get a job in Logan as a student, let alone one that could be a career after you graduate. While I agree that there are many USU alumns along the Wasatch front, a large percentage of alumni live outside of the state as well. If Logan were the large metro area and SLC happened to be 80k people and an hour and a half away, the Utes would be in the same boat.

9 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Neither of the examples I gave are USU but you're trying to tell me that getting 1 in 4 people to attend a game is not more impressive than 1 in 100? Listen, I think what SDSU gets is great, I realize there are other things vying for people's time and dollars in San Diego but to be jealous of managing to get 35k to attend a game with a population the size of theirs is nothing to brag about, especially after winning back to back championships. Again, I only went by County numbers, what would it look like if we counted all the population within a 2 hour drive of San Diego? what about within a 6 hour drive? Lets put it in the same terms as someone making the commitment to a Wyoming game and then lets look at how more crazy the numbers get.

Demanding Maverik to be filled without regard to the population or alumni based is silly. Logan is not SLC where people grew up there, go to school there and then get a job there. You can barely get a job in Logan as a student, let alone one that could be a career after you graduate. While I agree that there are many USU alumns along the Wasatch front, a large percentage of alumni live outside of the state as well. If Logan were the large metro area and SLC happened to be 80k people and an hour and a half away, the Utes would be in the same boat.

USU has relatively big alumni base. I don't have exact numbers but I'd guess it's third most in Utah behind BYU and Utah. More than large enough to get 25 k to a game. Most alums have been drawn away to U/BYU due to their universities poor performance on the grid iron. There are examples of programs in small towns/ with sparse population centers that draw very well. Va Tech, Kansas State, Penn State come to mind. I realize it's not perfectly analogous to USU as those three programs are P5 and have won some big games in their history. I just tend to think we as USU fans take the victim card too often and make excuses for why we can't draw to games rather than donating/going ourselves. 

You're right about Logan. I wish there were more jobs and incentive to stay. Imagine if there was a big tech hub there like there is in Utah County with the University supplying most of the needed talent. I'm not smart enough to fix that, but I hope there can be an entrepreneurial surge in Logan and more jobs can be created. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

Record-wise, Hawaii was about the same going from Mack's final season to Chow's early seasons. The (1-11) season with no signs of Chow being fired hurt the program the most under Chow and brought us to our under 30k average which we are stuck in today. Mack's final season was already expected as fans started to turn on him by the UC-Davis game and our attendance started to drop by then even though it was the injury to Moniz that resulted in the losses.

Greg McMackin's third season (10-4 overall) [37,311 average]

Greg McMackin's final season (6-7 overall) [31,755 average]

Chow's first season (3-9) [30,311 average]

Chow's second season (1-11) [30,989 average]

Chow's third season (4-9) [27,451 average]