Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nirv117

National Anthem at Sporting events?

31 minutes ago, nirv117 said:

Recent events have had me thinking - When did the tradition of playing the national Anthem at sporting event start?

On another related topic is it really needed?

1862,  I'm surprised it's that early in our history.  Do we need it, no.  Do we want it, I'd say yes.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Need it? Probably not, but I think it's a nice tradition. I just wished they stuck to more classic renditions. Call me old-fashioned, but I think an anthem is an anthem, and not a creativity contest.

For me, that's more of a theoretical issue though. I'm chronically late and usually arrive in time for the collective groaning of the opposing team's first TD/goal.

I've often wondered: if your standing in the beer line on the concourse, are you required to remove your hat?

Why the hell do we take our hat off anyway?

Am I less of a patriot if I leave it on?

Do ladies remove their hats?

God damn Kaepernick...so many questions. 

I'm probably in the minority here but I think there are other songs more fitting for the national anthem than the Star Spangled Banner. 

America the Beautiful

God Bless America

My Country Tis of Thee

Battle Hymn of the Republic 

Grand Old Flag

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

Like saying the national anthem in school it is just another example of brainwashing of the masses.

I don't really remember singing the anthem at school unless it for a special occasion. However, I think asking children to recite the "Pledge of Allegiance" is a bunch of shit. We don't allow children to enter into contractual agreements, how the hell are they supposed to "pledge allegiance"? They don't even know what that means.

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I don't really remember singing the anthem at school unless it for a special occasion. However, I think asking children to recite the "Pledge of Allegiance" is a bunch of shit. We don't allow children to enter into contractual agreements, how the hell are they supposed to "pledge allegiance"? They don't even know what that means.

If the kids don't Pledge Allegiance, how will we know they aren't secretly Godless commies?!

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I think there are other songs more fitting for the national anthem than the Star Spangled Banner. 

America the Beautiful

God Bless America

My Country Tis of Thee

Battle Hymn of the Republic 

Grand Old Flag

Ding-Dong! The Witch is Dead

These are all excellent suggestions!