Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

Aztecs win MWC OPOW and DPOW

19 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Aren't the Aztecs the only team with an offense and a defense, tho?

...and don't forget - we also have solid Special Teams play.  It's almost unfair to have a team that can execute in all three phases. 

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif

1 minute ago, Monty93 said:

...and don't forget - we also have solid Special Teams play.  It's almost unfair to have a team that can execute in all three phases. 

ALMOST unfair? In this conference it is TOTALLY unfair!

At this point I'm trying to figure out where Tony Sanchez fits on your staff 2 years from now. Equipment Manager maybe?

2 minutes ago, Monty93 said:

I think Nick Saban proposed a rule to ban that a while back

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

ALMOST unfair? In this conference it is TOTALLY unfair!

At this point I'm trying to figure out where Tony Sanchez fits on your staff 2 years from now. Equipment Manager maybe?

Hey, I'm not going to turn away any candidates from UNLV.  We seem to be doing pretty well with guys who couldn't get it to work in Vegas - both Horton and Hauck are doing incredible jobs.   And let's not forget Hunkie Cooper (UNLV player and Canyon HS coach)...

Maybe, just maybe, the problem wasn't the coaches...  :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Monty93 said:

Hey, I'm not going to turn away any candidates from UNLV.  We seem to be doing pretty well with guys who couldn't get it to work in Vegas - both Horton and Hauck are doing incredible jobs.   And let's not forget Hunkie Cooper (UNLV player and Canyon HS coach)...

Maybe, just maybe, the problem wasn't the coaches...  :ph34r:

Could be, but none of them are coaching the same positions at SDSU as they were at UNLV (and Hunkie never coached at all at UNLV). Maybe they are just really good at coaching the positions they are coaching at SDSU (positions that they spent the majority of their careers coaching, btw) and are not good HC's. So maybe the problem WAS them. Or maybe not. I'm sure now that are at SDSU, they are all awesome head coaches now too. :ph34r:

But it is awesome to see SDSU finally realizing their potential. They seem set for a long time once they get the stadium ironed out, which I am sure they will.

41 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Could be, but none of them are coaching the same positions at SDSU as they were at UNLV (and Hunkie never coached at all at UNLV). Maybe they are just really good at coaching the positions they are coaching at SDSU (positions that they spent the majority of their careers coaching, btw) and are not good HC's. So maybe the problem WAS them. Or maybe not. I'm sure now that are at SDSU, they are all awesome head coaches now too. :ph34r:

But it is awesome to see SDSU finally realizing their potential. They seem set for a long time once they get the stadium ironed out, which I am sure they will.

Very true.  Head coach is a totally different position than position coach or coordinator.  Hauck was a head coach at Montana, but maybe that doesn't translate in D-1A (or whatever they're calling it now).   I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the Sanchize (or someone) can figure things out at UNLV - there's a huge opportunity with the Raiders arriving for Vegas football.  We'll see if "a rising tide lifts all ships" holds true. 

6 minutes ago, Monty93 said:

Very true.  Head coach is a totally different position than position coach or coordinator.  Hauck was a head coach at Montana, but maybe that doesn't translate in D-1A (or whatever they're calling it now).   I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the Sanchize (or someone) can figure things out at UNLV - there's a huge opportunity with the Raiders arriving for Vegas football.  We'll see if "a rising tide lifts all ships" holds true. 

I think Hauck is a good (not great) coach that wasn't a good fit at UNLV. He is a caretaker coach, not a program builder. That's why I think he could work as a successor to Rocky, where he didn't work at UNLV.

I do think Sanchez can get a foundation built, but I don't think he will be the one to do anything with it. He is a program builder, but not a great game day coach. The next guy will reap the fruits of Sanchez' labor for sure. We will have a decent FB budget for once and will have made inroads with some good recruiting pipelines locally. We will have an IPF that will be as good as anywhere in the conf and a stadium closer to campus that should hopefully be more convenient for the fans and students. And yes, having a good SDSU will help the conference and the division even more. Hopefully.