Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

MWC vs American conferences so far....

21 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Yeah but they were both hit on pass plays, one a drop back (bsu) and the other a roll out, not runs.

Not exactly true.  While Hatada's hit was definitely late, your QB was not "dropping back" to pass - he was running for his life.  Once you are out of the box you are a legit target just like any other RB.  I'm not defending the hit, it was illegal and Hatada was properly thrown out of the game.  It's a shame about Jordan, hope he recovers quickly.   

1 hour ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Not exactly true.  While Hatada's hit was definitely late, your QB was not "dropping back" to pass - he was running for his life.  Once you are out of the box you are a legit target just like any other RB.  I'm not defending the hit, it was illegal and Hatada was properly thrown out of the game.  It's a shame about Jordan, hope he recovers quickly.   

Yeah I wrote it backwards. Thanks, hopefully he'll be back for AFA.

18 hours ago, HighNTight_SD said:

Air Force would resist a 9 game conference schedule having to play both Army & Navy OoC each year.

It would also limit the better teams who gamble on tough games to increase their SoS in their ability to schedule.

I don't see a 9 game conference schedule passing.

I'd like to see a MWC / AAC football challenge where AFA plays Navy every year, and the rest of the teams rotate opponents and home/away annually. Comine that with the week 0 extra game and you may have something ... but no one would agree to this either.

I'd enjoy a MWC/AAC challenge but I doubt the money for that series would be greater than what an additional conference game would get post 2020.

If Air Force is evaluating their schedule honestly Army is not better than most FCS opponents.  I don't think they'd be the road block especially because their overall athletic program isn't seen as very competitive outside of football because the move would be to improve the overall quality of the MW football schedule.

Also, BYU is going to be the equivalent of an FCS school with 85 scholarships like Umass if their recruiting continues at the level it has over the past few years.  I've seen reports that BYU was inflating their reports of media revenue and regardless of the veracity of those, I don't think that their record as an independent is going to get much interest from the cable networks because they haven't been that good on the field.

Moreover, the Hawaii exception isn't that useful right now because of the eight game conference schedule.  A change to a nine game schedule would give every school who travels to Hawaii the option to schedule an FCS home game as the thirteenth game and still play a very good out of conference schedule. 

With respect to the better teams, I think a situation like the Pac 12 would evolve in the MW.  The top third to the half of the conference won't schedule an FCS opponent in any given year because they can put a good independent opponent in place of that.  Essentially SDSU, Boise State, Colorado State and whomever else develops a consistent program would not schedule FCS in the way that UCLA, USC and usually Stanford do not schedule an FCS opponent.  I believe that BYU would like to have the best MW schools on its schedule so it would be likely that the Aztecs, Broncos and Rams have one home and one road game against an autonomous opponent with BYU either home or away depending on whether the conference schedule gives each school four or five home games that year.

I'd like to see more bowl games located at MW schools drop their affiliation with CUSA and the Sun Belt in favor of more American matchups.  Early season out of conference matchups remove interest in the bowl game matchups because fans and experts would more highly anticipate matchups between good teams from the respective conferences.  This also gives a more accurate evaluation of one conference's strength versus the other because bowl eligible teams are at least .500 teams (unless a specific exception is granted) so the ups and downs that occur from one year to the next don't result in a good team versus a bad one.

A MWC-Pea6 challenge isn't going to happen until the B12 situation shakes out. So not until at least 2024.

And after the B12's future is settled, the "challenge" will be akin to one between the current MAC and CUSA.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

A MWC-Pea6 challenge isn't going to happen until the B12 situation shakes out. So not until at least 2024.

And after the B12's future is settled, the "challenge" will be akin to one between the current MAC and CUSA.

The AAC's upcoming TV deal would make a "Challenge" with the MWC highly unlikely.

Those kinds of games just make zero financial sense for the AAC.

The MWC needs to focus on the CUSA who really has no better options.

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

On 9/19/2017 at 8:56 AM, Bruininthebay said:

If Air Force is evaluating their schedule honestly Army is not better than most FCS opponents.  I don't think they'd be the road block especially because their overall athletic program isn't seen as very competitive outside of football because the move would be to improve the overall quality of the MW football schedule.

AFA will not be removing Army or Navy from their schedule. Not sure what you're thinking here. In a 12 game season, with 9 conference games as you propose, AFA would only have 1 free game to schedule each year (which they would probably use for an FCS tune-up). 

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

On 9/19/2017 at 12:05 PM, FormerFrog said:

The AAC's upcoming TV deal would make a "Challenge" with the MWC highly unlikely.

You can't post anymore Stunner but I saw that somebody resurrected this thread and know you've been lurking so thought I'd jump in to tell you to go phuck yourself.

Your friend, SGF.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 9/19/2017 at 1:05 PM, FormerFrog said:

+++++ off fuksfrog . We win. You lose. 

19 hours ago, SLCPoke said:

Thanks New Mexico.....Tulsa just lost to UNM with their third string QB. P6 for life!

all while Memphis knocked off UCLA...UCF knocked off Maryland...USF beat Illinois...and Houston beat Arizona.

we also had Tulane upset Army and SMU throttled Arky State (and they aren't half bad)

so far, so good...but congrats to NM as no one wants to start 1-3...Tulsa has quite the hole to climb out of now.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Tulane was actually an underdog to Army at home? Lol!

Tulane is quite obviously lousy as usual, which actually means they've improved from the norm. Tulsa has obviously regressed to lousy and SMU remains at that level. Then your conference has UConn and ECU which are both awful again just like last year and Temple is also lousy, which with Rhule's departure was totally predictable.

So half of the AAC is bad or awful.

Admittedly, more than half of the MWC is lousy to awful. However, us fans readily admit to that. It's high time for "y'all" to acknowledge you ain't exactly great either. Either that or help Stunner start a circle jerk Pea6 love fest board.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Willie Fritz is solid coach who's good at running the option. That is exactly the kind of system Tulane needs to run so they can win games. They're sitting at 2-2 after damn near beating Navy and they still have contests against teams like FIU, ECU, and Tulsa.

Tulane actually looks like a football team again. This photo was taken at their home opener this season:

0dd93d79dc.jpg

mem skyline sig.jpeg

"However, us fans readily admit to that. It's high time for "y'all" to acknowledge you ain't exactly great either."

who said they AAC was 'great'? I've only ever maintained that it sure beats the hell out of being in CUSA...and it does.

mem skyline sig.jpeg