Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

MWC vs American conferences so far....

MWC: 16-20 overall

Against P5 conferences 3-14

- ACC 0-1

- B12 0-1

- B10 0-4

- PAC12 3-6

- SEC 0-2

Against G5 conferences/Indys (not ND) 4-4

- AAC 0-1

- IND 1-0

- MAC 0-1

- MWC 1-1

- Sun Belt 2-1

Against FCS teams 9-2

American: 19-11 (6 games cancelled)

Against P5 conferences (w/ND) 3-8

- ACC 0-2

- B12 0-4

- B10 1-1

- PAC12 2-0

- Notre Dame 0-1

Against G5 conferences/Indys 10-2

- AAC 1-1

- CUSA 4-0

- IND 1-0

- MAC 1-1

- MWC 1-0

- Sun Belt 2-0

Against FCS teams 6-1

The American has more wins, but 6 fewer games against P5 teams. Interestingly both conferences each have 3 wins over P5 conference teams--5 of the 6 wins are against Pac12 teams.  American maybe gets the nod for being 10-2 against G5 schools while MWC is only 4-4.  The American also plays less FCS teams.

2 hours ago, badfish said:

They have a solid top 1/2, but their lower teams might as well be Nevada.

ECU=Nevada right now. Both 0-3. Both with loses to FCS teams.  Both terrible. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

We'll we're preparing to face Tulsa with our third string QB and either a true freshman at backup or two WRs that were former QBs. QBs #1 & 2 are out thanks to cheap shots from nmsu & bsu.

That's the cost of running the triple...

5 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

We'll we're preparing to face Tulsa with our third string QB and either a true freshman at backup or two WRs that were former QBs. QBs #1 & 2 are out thanks to cheap shots from nmsu & bsu.

Is Lamar Jordan not playing?

It appears being a former WAC member gives you mojo against the Mountain West that might warrant a specific exception to the overall comparison between the American and the MW.  If Tulsa goes 4-1 against the MW since joining the American, I have no other explanation.  Don't schedule Rice or SMU - there's no reason to test this hypothesis.

The Mountain West should consider going to a nine game schedule like the Pac 12 just to avoid scheduling early season games with no upside against FBS schools that are not in an autonomous conference because most of the bowl matchups the Mountain West has are with those conferences and probably will continue to be.  It adds a little more interest if no one has seen whether a bowl eligible Tulsa team versus a bowl eligible New Mexico team will do, rather than what looks to be a Lobo team not likely to be as competitive as last year against a Tulsa team in Tulsa

I think that the eight game schedule was more of a necessity to have flexibility scheduling out of conference games with autonomous conference and independent opponents who play an eight game schedule that is going to be of significantly less important as college football conferences continue to move their conference games in to the first three weeks of the season like the New Mexico Boise State game.  Autonomous conferences scheduling conference games in weeks one, two and three would really help BYU and probably help the Mountain West because the two "body bag" games don't have to be scheduled in back to back weeks (SJSU weeks 2 a& 3). 

Obviously there would be no reason to change until after the TV package is addressed. It's likely that provisions relating to the loss of members would be in a new TV contract with Big 12 expansion looming so a provision about the addition of another week of conference games isn't a completely unlikely scenario either.  It a proposal to make to know whether broadcast partners view a nine game MW conference schedule additional value or not.

Also, playing BYU is growing less important as they seem to no longer be able to recruit like they could as a member of the Mountain West.

48 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

The Mountain West should consider going to a nine game schedule like the Pac 12 just to avoid scheduling early season games with no upside against FBS schools that are not in an autonomous conference because most of the bowl matchups the Mountain West has are with those conferences and probably will continue to be.  It adds a little more interest if no one has seen whether a bowl eligible Tulsa team versus a bowl eligible New Mexico team will do, rather than what looks to be a Lobo team not likely to be as competitive as last year against a Tulsa team in Tulsa

I think that the eight game schedule was more of a necessity to have flexibility scheduling out of conference games with autonomous conference and independent opponents who play an eight game schedule that is going to be of significantly less important as college football conferences continue to move their conference games in to the first three weeks of the season like the New Mexico Boise State game.  Autonomous conferences scheduling conference games in weeks one, two and three would really help BYU and probably help the Mountain West because the two "body bag" games don't have to be scheduled in back to back weeks (SJSU weeks 2 a& 3). 

Air Force would resist a 9 game conference schedule having to play both Army & Navy OoC each year.

It would also limit the better teams who gamble on tough games to increase their SoS in their ability to schedule.

I don't see a 9 game conference schedule passing.

I'd like to see a MWC / AAC football challenge where AFA plays Navy every year, and the rest of the teams rotate opponents and home/away annually. Comine that with the week 0 extra game and you may have something ... but no one would agree to this either.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

It appears being a former WAC member gives you mojo against the Mountain West that might warrant a specific exception to the overall comparison between the American and the MW.  If Tulsa goes 4-1 against the MW since joining the American, I have no other explanation.  Don't schedule Rice or SMU - there's no reason to test this hypothesis.

Obviously there would be no reason to change until after the TV package is addressed. It's likely that provisions relating to the loss of members would be in a new TV contract with Big 12 expansion looming so a provision about the addition of another week of conference games isn't a completely unlikely scenario either.  It a proposal to make to know whether broadcast partners view a nine game MW conference schedule additional value or not.

Also, playing BYU is growing less important as they seem to no longer be able to recruit like they could as a member of the Mountain West.

Hope you enjoyed that game Sat...I bet ole Rip Scherer didn't recognize the place :-)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, fanhood said:

Well, there goes that game. What about the back-up?

Back-up is out too. He took a head shot at end of nmsu game. Our third string QB is Colin Gerhert, brother of Toby. He has a lot of ability and is a better passer than Lamar. He is a graduate transfer from ASU. I feel we have a chance with him if the defense can continue to improve like it has. 

2 hours ago, HighNTight_SD said:

Air Force would resist a 9 game conference schedule having to play both Army & Navy OoC each year.

It would also limit the better teams who gamble on tough games to increase their SoS in their ability to schedule.

I don't see a 9 game conference schedule passing.

I'd like to see a MWC / AAC football challenge where AFA plays Navy every year, and the rest of the teams rotate opponents and home/away annually. Comine that with the week 0 extra game and you may have something ... but no one would agree to this either.

I've been pounding the table for this to happen the last two years. AAC might be afraid to though, it could hurt its p6 status :rotflmfao:

4 minutes ago, Limebull said:

Isnt Tulsa playing you guys this weekend? Interested to see what happens...

I expect Tulsa to win. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

Just like you expected Nevada to win last weekend?

I have low expectations.