Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

The fire Jay Norvell thread

17 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I don't see him getting his fourth year if he keeps paying FCS teams to come in and beat them, especially if we keep losing season ticket holders. They should have scored 40+ with the air raid against an FCS team. Obviously our air raid is shooting spitballs.

Do you think he just waves a magic wand, and 3 games in the Air Raid is instantly there? It's gonna take at least a full season and probably two to switch gears.

Norvell playing his own guys (freshmen) over Polian's guys probably doesn't sit to well.  I've seen this kind of thing before.  If Norvell wants to push Polians guys aside that's on him.  The rebuild will take longer if he gets the time.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

Do you think he just waves a magic wand, and 3 games in the Air Raid is instantly there? It's gonna take at least a full season and probably two to switch gears.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on to overreact and jump on a fire someone thread. Norvell deserves his chance to make his mark. I'm actually more puzzled by Matt Mumme than Norvell. As far as offensive improvement in the first year. It's not uncommon to improve drastically in the first year of an Air Raid transition. Looking at Hal Mumme disciples from Tony Franklin, Chris Hatcher to Dana Holgerson and Sonny Dykes, as coordinators, they made significant improvements in total offense in their first year, at all levels from FCS to P5 programs. I'm more critical of the coaching staff using Idaho State as a glorified scrimmage thinking they would win just by showing up. Getting 28 points in garbage time after scoring 20 and 24 against conference contenders is a significant fail.

2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Gonna be tough on the future of UNR football if every coach gets compared to Ault. UNLV hoops went through the same thing with Tark for a very long time (to a degree, is still going through it). That doesn't bode very well.

Signed,

Jerry Tarkanian

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

It depends, some teams can react quicker to change than others. Also some coaches (at least for Rolo) don't install the whole Offense in the first season but just enough for players to get what they are trying to do. Rolo said he planned to do that for his first season, while using his second year to expand his Offense once players got comfortable.

Fresno going from a Hill (Pro-Style) to DeRuyter (Spread) team at least initially showed a lot of success, while with Hawaii going from Chow (Pro-Style) to Rolo (RPO/RnS) has also showed a lot of promise to where the team was before with Chow and enough promise to get a bowl win over a good Middle Tennessee team along with a win on the road at AFA. Not all schools does it take more than a season but it does depend on existing talent on the team and Hawaii was lucky that we had two solid young Slotback receivers (Collie and Ursua) and a good RB (Diocemy Saint Juste) as leftovers. 

In Rolo's first season we almost lost to an average UT-Martin (FCS) team in his Rolo's first home game by winning 41-36 which was won by an INT when UT-Martin was driving down the field on the last series. But it took that game where our QB performed poorly along with the following Arizona game for Rolo to make a switch at QB going from Woolsey to Brown, which paid huge dividends for the team the rest of the year.

31 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on to overreact and jump on a fire someone thread. Norvell deserves his chance to make his mark. I'm actually more puzzled by Matt Mumme than Norvell. As far as offensive improvement in the first year. It's not uncommon to improve drastically in the first year of an Air Raid transition. Looking at Hal Mumme disciples from Tony Franklin, Chris Hatcher to Dana Holgerson and Sonny Dykes, as coordinators, they made significant improvements in total offense in their first year, at all levels from FCS to P5 programs. I'm more critical of the coaching staff using Idaho State as a glorified scrimmage thinking they would win just by showing up. Getting 28 points in garbage time after scoring 20 and 24 against conference contenders is a significant fail.

3 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

It depends, some teams can react quicker to change than others. Also some coaches (at least for Rolo) don't install the whole Offense in the first season but just enough for players to get what they are trying to do. Rolo said he planned to do that for his first season, while using his second year to expand his Offense once players got comfortable.

Fresno going from a Hill (Pro-Style) to DeRuyter (Spread) team at least initially showed a lot of success, while with Hawaii going from Chow (Pro-Style) to Rolo (RPO/RnS) has also showed a lot of promise to where the team was before with Chow and enough promise to get a bowl win over a good Middle Tennessee team along with a win on the road at AFA. Not all schools does it take more than a season but it does depend on existing talent on the team and Hawaii was lucky that we had two solid young Slotback receivers (Collie and Ursua) and a good RB (Diocemy Saint Juste) as leftovers. 

In Rolo's first season we almost lost to an average UT-Martin (FCS) team in his Rolo's first home game by winning 41-36 which was won by an INT when UT-Martin was driving down the field on the last series. But it took that game where our QB performed poorly along with the following Arizona game for Rolo to make a switch at QB going from Woolsey to Brown, which paid huge dividends for the team the rest of the year.

I think a lot depends on what personnel you have in place. I'm no expert on the air raid, but I assume it takes a QB with a different set of skills than a pro-style or spread. Additionally, speed in the receiving corps seems important.

If Nevada had beat Northwestern should Knuth have extended Norvell? No! It's one damn game. An embarrassing one but it is what it is. No one knows how this will turn out - yet. Like I said. If this is year 3 and we're losing a game like that then red flags should go up, and his seat should be hot.

Someone said in an earlier post that the coaches just rolled out Cureton showing little respect for the game. That's the thing that conerns me most. Nevada has played good and bad football against FCS teams in the last 25 years winning all games except for a few as the program was transitioning to D1. Not one of those wins told me how good the team was. Obviously this team isn't great but I still think it has potential to play .500+ ball in conference based on how it played against NW and Toledo. 

7 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Well, that's part of the issue here... we are not running the air raid despite the coaches saying we would run the air raid.  We are utilizing tight line splits and often line up in a reverse offset, wishbone type formation.  I presume this stems from two things: 1. The belief that we currently do not have the athletes to run a true Air Raid offense and 2. A desire to create yet another hybrid type offense similar to when Ault installed the Pistol with the read option.  This is not the Air Raid as we know it which could be part of the problem.  They are not installing a proven offense, but rather a blend of offenses and so far it has tasted like Purina Dog Chow. 

Murray compared it to Leach's first year at WSU where they won 2 games and only averaged 20 ppg. He definitely deserves time, but that loss was unacceptable. 

We'll get there, this team isn't that bad and should win at least some games this year. I just hope we see some serious improvement next season.

23 minutes ago, bigd said:

Murray compared it to Leach's first year at WSU where they won 2 games and only averaged 20 ppg. He definitely deserves time, but that loss was unacceptable. 

We'll get there, this team isn't that bad and should win at least some games this year. I just hope we see some serious improvement next season.

I'm guessing we will start to see later in the season as these freshman and others adapt to the new system. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Hell. WSU lost to Portland State in 2015 and Eastern Washington last year. They've been all over the map. 

44 minutes ago, ExplorerSunDevil said:

Nevada fans,

Did Chris Ault ever have a longtime assistant coach of his become a successful head coach at another school below Nevada?

Im actually quite surprised that not one of his former assistants ever became a viable choice to be his direct successor in 2013.

Chris Klenakis who is the OC for Louisville (helped invent the pistol and longtime OC for Nevada, also originally from Northern Nevada) was definitely in the running. So was Tom Mason who is a Nevada alum. Ultimately I think we were trying to move away from the Ault coaching tree. 

Ault has had a fair number of assistants move to HCs, but not many were successful and a lot weren't assistants for very long:

John L Smith (former HC of Michigan State, Louisville): assistant under Ault for 4 years

Bobby Petrino (HC of Louisville): assistant under Ault for 1 year

Nigel Burton (HC of Portland State from 14-10): assistant under Ault for 2 years

Tim DeRuyter (HC of Fresno State from 16-12): assistant under Ault for 2 years

Jeff Horton (HC of UNLV from 98-94): assistant under Ault for 5 years

Nick Rolovich (HC of Hawaii): assistant under Ault for 1 year

James Spady (HC of Alabama A&M): assistant under Ault for 2 years

There are probably more, but most Nevada fans agree that Ault isn't great at choosing coaches.

This entire starting QB fiasco is bothering me. When we got all the incredible news of an Alabama QB transferring in, it was headlined all over that it was between Gangi and Cornwell for the starting position. For us to be teased with this news and to have Norvell use an FCS opponent as a glorified scrimmage to test his true freshman QB recruit is worrying. I think it was a disservice to Gangi who kept us somewhat in play against two decent teams. Give him the opportunity to rebuild his confidence against ISU, and if he didn't turn it around by half time then let the fans see Cornwell in action. I think a lot of fans are like me and want to see the proof on the field that Cornwell is a bust or not. Maybe he's a gamer and not a practice day hero.

IMO, Cureton should never have seen the field this entire year unless it was absolutely necessary due to injuries. He's young and if Norvell really thinks he's the QB of our future, then he should have given him the entire season to watch and study how this level of football is and how this new offensive scheme works. 

1 hour ago, BackthePack said:

This entire starting QB fiasco is bothering me. When we got all the incredible news of an Alabama QB transferring in, it was headlined all over that it was between Gangi and Cornwell for the starting position. For us to be teased with this news and to have Norvell use an FCS opponent as a glorified scrimmage to test his true freshman QB recruit is worrying. I think it was a disservice to Gangi who kept us somewhat in play against two decent teams. Give him the opportunity to rebuild his confidence against ISU, and if he didn't turn it around by half time then let the fans see Cornwell in action. I think a lot of fans are like me and want to see the proof on the field that Cornwell is a bust or not. Maybe he's a gamer and not a practice day hero.

IMO, Cureton should never have seen the field this entire year unless it was absolutely necessary due to injuries. He's young and if Norvell really thinks he's the QB of our future, then he should have given him the entire season to watch and study how this level of football is and how this new offensive scheme works. 

It sounds to me that Cornwell has the potential physical talent, but is mentally lazy. There's something there that not being discussed. As far as Cornwell, Gangi, Solano and the other QB's on the roster, I see them all leaving after this season. Norvell seems determined to rebuild this team almost from the ground up, it's too bad season ticket holders have to pay to watch year one play out.I looked at the remaining schedule without my Wolf Pack Blue glasses on and I don't see much of a chance for a win and that includes SJSU and nevada southern. Good grief, I hope I'm very wrong.:shots:

Cornwell could be lazy but it's also possible he's just burnt out on football and has other priorities. That was the case with Jake Rodrigues after transferring from Oregon to SDSU. Rodrigues was equally coveted coming out of HS but couldn't break into the QB two-deep at Oregon and had a girlfriend who I believe he met at Oregon and they were basically engaged. Jake's GF followed him to SDSU and he later said he could see his chances of playing in the NFL were slim so he just couldn't stay properly motivated. After graduating from SDSU he became a firefighter which he said had been in the back of his mind all along.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Kincaide isn't playing saturday according to CBSSports and is out until further notice. However if you look at it Norvell has named three different starting QBs this year. We did lose our best offensive player before the season because Norvell never thought he would actually leave. I know people who went to the game last Saturday who were completely speechless after the game, they had no idea what to say. 

The loss on Saturday was unacceptable pure and simple. Don't care if it was a new coach or not, but unacceptable. And that loss is going to hang over the team and coaching staff for the rest of this season and probably into the forseeable future.

I have told people you need to give a coach 3-4 years when they are hired to give them a chance but was countered by someone, possibly on this board, saying in today's college football you can't afford to give a coach that much time to change things. With attendance and season ticket sales dropping, which is big for the budget, that isn't good either. I think we struggle to get 10,000 to our next game and wouldn't be surprised if the team gets under 15,000 for the rest of their games this year. That is how bad that loss was for the program.