Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

The fire Jay Norvell thread

2 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

Yes I do enjoy when you lose. I think a lot more losses are coming under Norvell. I think he was a bad hire. 

As for our FCS losses we have had far more than we should. But the last time we player Idaho St a few years ago we dropped 80 on them. 

2 years ago in Sanchez's first year. 

Just something to chew on... would you rather have Norvell with Polian's players or Polian with Polian's players?

Just thinking that Norvell might deserve a chance before he get's the firing squad.  No he's not impressing me, and I didn't expect him to but he's the coach.  Might as well give him a chance.

I guess it was our first time losing to an FCS teams since we lost to Boise in 1994.

And I agree Headbutt, Norvell does deserve a chance. The season and his tenure are young. I was feeling cautiously optimistic before today, but losing to ISU is unacceptable. 

This team can still compete, we a few plays from beating both Northwestern and Toledo who are at least decent.

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

There you are, dickhead: ?  Haven't seen you in a while. It's funny how you always seem to show up when things are totally f'd up. Coincidence? Nah.  I imagine you've been on the road pimping your "World Class Dick: A 13 Step Course" at Motel 6's around the west. 

Everytime you try to say something of substance, your 'dick' always seems to get in the way. Some would refer to that as a cock block of intelligence, but whatever you call it, all we get is more DickNation when that happens.

I will keep commenting about sports, college basketball in particular.  I can't wait for UNLV to open up at the sports books at only 18 wins.  I will make easy money on the over.  I will make easy money on Kentucky on the under at 30 wins.

9 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

There you are, dickhead: ?  Haven't seen you in a while. It's funny how you always seem to show up when things are totally f'd up. Coincidence? Nah.  I imagine you've been on the road pimping your "World Class Dick: A 13 Step Course" at Motel 6's around the west. 

Everytime you try to say something of substance, your 'dick' always seems to get in the way. Some would refer to that as a cock block of intelligence, but whatever you call it, all we get is more DickNation when that happens.

LOL. You really should take a minute and reread the dumb you write before you post.

And more male genitalia smack to go with the dumb?. I'm just not your type, convert. I'm not gay so let it go and find someone who is into your lifestyle.

Seriously, I do like your theory that a coach who has never won a game is willing to lose to ISU and go 0-3 just to prove to one player he is a bad.QB. Solid.

Please keep your reply rant to a minimum.:idiot:

Norvell stuck with the game plan or lack thereof. If you pull a new Freshman QB early in that game, he might never recover mentally. but a change needed to be made in the 2nd half and that's on Norvell. It was obvious Cornwell was not getting in the game. If anyone wants to point fingers, i would start with the poor excuse of an OC in Mumme and his "air raid offense" he's as bad as his father was.That said fellow Nevada fans get ready for a potentially long pain full season. If you think last night was sad, just wait to they get to Pullman for WSU next Saturday. If Norvell starts the Freshman against them, ugly could look pretty compared to what happens.:sh*tfan:

I'm not gonna salt the wound. Reno fans can tell you right now that karma is a bitch.  

Novell is trying to change systems and he doesn't have the guys to play the way he wants. It's gonna take some time and growing pains. 2 wins or less this season. Let's see how year 2 and 3 look. Bad losses happen early in coaching changes. They can be overcome.

Norvell deserves his chance, but he absolutely deserves to be crapped all over for yesterday. Losing to FCS is unacceptable. We came out flat and flaccid, that is all in the coaching staff. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

15 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Norvell deserves his chance, but he absolutely deserves to be crapped all over for yesterday. Losing to FCS is unacceptable. We came out flat and flaccid, that is all in the coaching staff. 

That is it.

and it was HOF day and a number of  local companies had outings to this game.

real bad time to pinch out a big brown one at the 50!

cerified_Subarus.jpg

4 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Novell is trying to change systems and he doesn't have the guys to play the way he wants. It's gonna take some time and growing pains. 2 wins or less this season. Let's see how year 2 and 3 look. Bad losses happen early in coaching changes. They can be overcome.

Can they be overcome? Sure, but WILL they?

SDSU had never lost to a DIAA/FCS school since moving up from that level until Chuck Long's first year in 2006. Then Chuck repeated the crime in the first game of his third year and that convinced most of us who had been on the fence about him that the guy needed to go immediately. Instead, Chuck went on to post the first and only double-digit loss season in school history including a 70-7 loss to a 4-win UNM team that was the most lopsided loss in school history.

If another poster is correct, UNR hadn't lost to an FCS school in 23 years so the defeat to lowly Idaho State is definitely a bad omen. Next year UNR hosts Portland State and in 2019, Weber State. If I was a Wolf Pack or Wolf or Packer or whatever they call themselves, I would be watching those two future games very closely.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Can they be overcome? Sure, but WILL they?

SDSU had never lost to a DIAA/FCS school since moving up from that level until Chuck Long's first year in 2006. Then Chuck repeated the crime in the first game of his third year and that convinced most of us who had been on the fence about him that the guy needed to go immediately. Instead, Chuck went on to post the first and only double-digit loss season in school history including a 70-7 loss to a 4-win UNM team that was the most lopsided loss in school history.

If another poster is correct, UNR hadn't lost to an FCS school in 23 years so the defeat to lowly Idaho State is definitely a bad omen. Next year UNR hosts Portland State and in 2019, Weber State. If I was a Wolf Pack or Wolf or Packer or whatever they call themselves, I would be watching those two future games very closely.

Ironically, Chuck Long and Norvell were college teammates. Though a lot of good coaches were also on that Iowa team.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, Lester_in_reno said:

the young and green QB wasn't ready and it was very obvious.

then Norvell dug his heels in and let the kid play the entire game.

The team was off from the first play.

Not sure why he just didn't put in Gangi at halftime. Anyone? Beuller?

I guess.. " Maybe Norvell figured this was a lost season anyway and the sooner Cureton realizes he ain't a QB, the better. "

Well the young QB ended up going 19-33 w 3 tds.  Most of that in the 2nd 1/2.  Don't think Gangi at 47% would have done that well

4 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

Well the young QB ended up going 19-33 w 3 tds.  Most of that in the 2nd 1/2.  Don't think Gangi at 47% would have done that well

Come on, Gangi played his games against Northwestern and Toledo (both good teams). Against Idaho State he would have down very well. Utah State who lost it's other 2 games by a combined 85 points beat ISU by 38. This wasn't Eastern Washington or NDSU or a good FCS school. This was a bottom half Big Sky school. 

You cannot fairly compare Cureton's to Gangi's numbers.

36 minutes ago, bigd said:

Come on, Gangi played his games against Northwestern and Toledo (both good teams). Against Idaho State he would have down very well. Utah State who lost it's other 2 games by a combined 85 points beat ISU by 38. This wasn't Eastern Washington or NDSU or a good FCS school. This was a bottom half Big Sky school. 

You cannot fairly compare Cureton's to Gangi's numbers.

Fair enough.  Just trying to point out the 2nd 1/2 wasn't the disaster the 1st 1/2 was for Cureton.

Chis Murray rips Norvell this morning

How long does the honeymoon period last for a first-year college football coach?

For Jay Norvell, the answer is three games. The Wolf Pack coach’s honeymoon is over – and it should be. Nevada’s 30-28 loss to Idaho State before 16,394 fans Saturday night at Mackay Stadium was many things, but, most of all, it was embarrassing and unacceptable. The Wolf Pack was unprepared, uninspired and outclassed by a program that was 26-98 over the previous 11 seasons, each at the FCS level.

Nevada wasn’t just playing a team from college football’s second tier. It was a bad team from that tier, a team that lost last week to Utah State, the Wolf Pack’s Mountain West competition, by 38 points. Yet, this same Idaho State team was beating Nevada by 23 points midway through the third quarter before the Wolf Pack rallied within a 2-point conversion of tying it with 58 seconds left. Credit Idaho State, but Nevada deserves a ton of blame, too.

After his team’s loss last week to Toledo, Norvell said he was disappointed but not discouraged. Fair enough. But, fans should feel discouraged after this loss. Their team entered the game as a 33.5-point favorite and didn’t lead for a single second in its first loss to an FCS team since 1994. It was just two weeks ago Wolf Pack fans could joke about rival UNLV losing to Howard, another FCS team. Now, the joke’s on Nevada.

“I’m extremely disappointed,” a solemn Norvell said. “One of our goals was to win every home game and play really well at home and we didn’t do that tonight. It’s my job to get to the bottom of it and find out what’s going on with our guys and how we responded the way we did tonight.”

Norvell’s tenure will not be defined by this game. He will get at least four seasons to put together a winning program. This will likely be a footnote in the story he writes with the Wolf Pack. But, in each of his team's first two home outings, Nevada has been sloppy – to put it kindly. In the loss to Idaho State, the Wolf Pack fumbled seven times; had a player ejected for contacting a ref; had an unprepared defense at the start (Idaho State scored on six of its first nine possessions); and continued to struggle on offense.

I haven’t been around as long as Mackay has been – the stadium has me by 16 years – but Saturday’s loss could be the Wolf Pack's worst in the stadium's history. Idaho State hadn’t beaten an FBS team since 2000 and hadn’t beaten Nevada since 1981, a streak of 11 straight losses. But, the Bengals were dancing on the Mackay Stadium sideline between the third and fourth quarters as if it had already won the game.

The Wolf Pack players should burn that image in their heads – FCS players dancing in their home while dominating them – for the rest of the season. It should not leave their memory until after the season ends.

No reasonable person thought Nevada was going to compete for a MW championship this season, but Wolf Pack fans deserve better than this. A loss at Northwestern? OK. A loss to Toledo? Fine. A loss to Idaho State? Nope. That should not happen. That cannot happen. So, how did that happen? A decisive turnover advantage (3-0), a more physical attitude and a spate of young Wolf Pack players on the field.

Kaymen Cureton became the Wolf Pack’s first true freshman to start at quarterback since 1998 and played reasonably. He was too eager to pull the ball and scramble and fumbled four times (none lost), but he also completed 19-of-33 passes for 205 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. I’m not going to pin the blame on a kid fresh out of high school doing the best he can in his debut, but it is fair to question whether he was the right player to put under center Saturday night.

With a freshman at quarterback, it was a senior, offensive tackle Austin Corbett, who appeared emotionally shaken after the game. You could feel the pain in the Reed High grad as he spoke about Nevada losing a game it should have won, about his teammates not going as hard as possible every play and about trying to get everybody bought in with the new staff, which is always a difficult task in year one.

“I failed as a leader and I didn’t get this team ready and I’m not going to let it drag on,” Corbett said. “It stings a lot that we didn’t do our jobs across the board, and we have to figure some things out.”

One thing Nevada must figure out first and foremost is what it wants to accomplish this season. Does it want to keep playing true freshmen with an eye on the future? (Nevada has played more true freshman in its first three games, eight, than Chris Ault did in the nine-year duration of his final tenure with the Wolf Pack). Or does it want to try and win as many games as possible this season? That question is especially pertinent at quarterback.

As Nevada football tries to rebuild its fan base following a steady decline since its historic 2010 season, this loss is hard to swallow. The loyal fans who want a reason to believe and a reason to support the program now must search for a reason to attend home games for the rest of the season.

This should have been a joyous night, with Norvell getting doused by a Gatorade bucket after his first victory as a head coach. Instead, it was a night that raised questions about where this program is headed for the remainder of the season.

Columnist Chris Murray provides insight on Northern Nevada sports. Contact him at cmurray@rgj.com or follow him on Twitter @MurrayRGJ.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

4 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

One thing Nevada must figure out first and foremost is what it wants to accomplish this season. Does it want to keep playing true freshmen with an eye on the future? (Nevada has played more true freshman in its first three games, eight, than Chris Ault did in the nine-year duration of his final tenure with the Wolf Pack). Or does it want to try and win as many games as possible this season? That question is especially pertinent at quarterback.

Gonna be tough on the future of UNR football if every coach gets compared to Ault. UNLV hoops went through the same thing with Tark for a very long time (to a degree, is still going through it). That doesn't bode very well.

34 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Chis Murray rips Norvell this morning

How long does the honeymoon period last for a first-year college football coach?

For Jay Norvell, the answer is three games. The Wolf Pack coach’s honeymoon is over – and it should be. Nevada’s 30-28 loss to Idaho State before 16,394 fans Saturday night at Mackay Stadium was many things, but, most of all, it was embarrassing and unacceptable. The Wolf Pack was unprepared, uninspired and outclassed by a program that was 26-98 over the previous 11 seasons, each at the FCS level.

Nevada wasn’t just playing a team from college football’s second tier. It was a bad team from that tier, a team that lost last week to Utah State, the Wolf Pack’s Mountain West competition, by 38 points. Yet, this same Idaho State team was beating Nevada by 23 points midway through the third quarter before the Wolf Pack rallied within a 2-point conversion of tying it with 58 seconds left. Credit Idaho State, but Nevada deserves a ton of blame, too.

After his team’s loss last week to Toledo, Norvell said he was disappointed but not discouraged. Fair enough. But, fans should feel discouraged after this loss. Their team entered the game as a 33.5-point favorite and didn’t lead for a single second in its first loss to an FCS team since 1994. It was just two weeks ago Wolf Pack fans could joke about rival UNLV losing to Howard, another FCS team. Now, the joke’s on Nevada.

“I’m extremely disappointed,” a solemn Norvell said. “One of our goals was to win every home game and play really well at home and we didn’t do that tonight. It’s my job to get to the bottom of it and find out what’s going on with our guys and how we responded the way we did tonight.”

Norvell’s tenure will not be defined by this game. He will get at least four seasons to put together a winning program. This will likely be a footnote in the story he writes with the Wolf Pack. But, in each of his team's first two home outings, Nevada has been sloppy – to put it kindly. In the loss to Idaho State, the Wolf Pack fumbled seven times; had a player ejected for contacting a ref; had an unprepared defense at the start (Idaho State scored on six of its first nine possessions); and continued to struggle on offense.

I haven’t been around as long as Mackay has been – the stadium has me by 16 years – but Saturday’s loss could be the Wolf Pack's worst in the stadium's history. Idaho State hadn’t beaten an FBS team since 2000 and hadn’t beaten Nevada since 1981, a streak of 11 straight losses. But, the Bengals were dancing on the Mackay Stadium sideline between the third and fourth quarters as if it had already won the game.

The Wolf Pack players should burn that image in their heads – FCS players dancing in their home while dominating them – for the rest of the season. It should not leave their memory until after the season ends.

No reasonable person thought Nevada was going to compete for a MW championship this season, but Wolf Pack fans deserve better than this. A loss at Northwestern? OK. A loss to Toledo? Fine. A loss to Idaho State? Nope. That should not happen. That cannot happen. So, how did that happen? A decisive turnover advantage (3-0), a more physical attitude and a spate of young Wolf Pack players on the field.

Kaymen Cureton became the Wolf Pack’s first true freshman to start at quarterback since 1998 and played reasonably. He was too eager to pull the ball and scramble and fumbled four times (none lost), but he also completed 19-of-33 passes for 205 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. I’m not going to pin the blame on a kid fresh out of high school doing the best he can in his debut, but it is fair to question whether he was the right player to put under center Saturday night.

With a freshman at quarterback, it was a senior, offensive tackle Austin Corbett, who appeared emotionally shaken after the game. You could feel the pain in the Reed High grad as he spoke about Nevada losing a game it should have won, about his teammates not going as hard as possible every play and about trying to get everybody bought in with the new staff, which is always a difficult task in year one.

“I failed as a leader and I didn’t get this team ready and I’m not going to let it drag on,” Corbett said. “It stings a lot that we didn’t do our jobs across the board, and we have to figure some things out.”

As Nevada football tries to rebuild its fan base following a steady decline since its historic 2010 season, this loss is hard to swallow. The loyal fans who want a reason to believe and a reason to support the program now must search for a reason to attend home games for the rest of the season.

This should have been a joyous night, with Norvell getting doused by a Gatorade bucket after his first victory as a head coach. Instead, it was a night that raised questions about where this program is headed for the remainder of the season.

Columnist Chris Murray provides insight on Northern Nevada sports. Contact him at cmurray@rgj.com or follow him on Twitter @MurrayRGJ.

I don't see him getting his fourth year if he keeps paying FCS teams to come in and beat them, especially if we keep losing season ticket holders. They should have scored 40+ with the air raid against an FCS team. Obviously our air raid is shooting spitballs.