Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Bob Davie under investigation for player abuse?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I wouldn't be as worried about the "awkward" feelings and lack of personal relationships.  Hell, "personal relationships" is what should've put an end to Penn State's program.   But the allegations of messing with the drug testing and " far more serious allegations " are vague enough to cause concern.

This doesn't seem to be a case of players whose feelings are hurt because their coach isn't hugging them before a game (*looking at you, Western Michigan), but let's see how this plays out.  I guess we'll see what hits this rumor mill.  And for the second time today, we're putting out the call for LoboBlast...

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif

I think he's done a remarkable job turning the Lobo program around.

I was disappointed in the behavior of a couple of the Lobo players that targeted Allen in our game last year.  The one that got ejected was celebrating the hit, pointing his finger up in the air, pumping his fist as he came off the field, etc.  That was unnecessary and uncalled for.  I did wonder if that was a reflection of Davie or a kid that just didn't understand proper behavior.  I don't follow Lobo football enough to know about the day-to-day reports, accusations, etc.  I don't know if Davie did anything to this DB following the game.  I would hope so.  i don't want this behavior to be what Davie wants from his players.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

If they fire him over some BS, it will destroy UNM football for a second time. Enjoy Lobos.

And for the record, anything less than striking the player with object such as the butt of a rifle, transom rod, bat, or club is most likely BS. 

19 minutes ago, fanhood said:

If they fire him over some BS, it will destroy UNM football for a second time. Enjoy Lobos.

And for the record, anything less than striking the player with object such as the butt of a rifle, transom rod, bat, or club is most likely BS. 

In 1993, CSU fired Earl Bruce for similar behavior and hired Sonny Lubick as his replacement.  That turned out to be a pretty good change for CSU.

5 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

I heard Davie is one scary dude. The players fear him, no joke. I don't know about the allegations though. Maybe former disgruntled players?

Lets see:

Mangino? Kansas just celebrated him.

Kush? ASU sees him as an icon

When will people learn? Don't pander to the masses. Appreciate what you have, and honor them while they are still your coach. Not years after you fire them for silly allegations. 

Davies has it tough.  Locksley brought in some good players, but he wasn't worth a damn as HC.  Overall, signing decent recruits at UNM is a tough act so Davies is stuck with getting the most out of what he has. Unfortunately it looks like he went overboard.  I don't know what the answer is for UNM ever having success with their football.  

Rocky had a similar issue there, but he had the 3-3-5 defensive scheme which was somewhat of a gimmick.  It's working better here because he has much better players to work with.

1 hour ago, Lobonado said:

I heard Davie is one scary dude. The players fear him, no joke. I don't know about the allegations though. Maybe former disgruntled players?

It sounds like disgruntled players to me.

Fact is most successful coaches are total assholes. I assume as long as he wins, UNM will find reasons to retain him in spite of his flaws, as long as his transgressions don't break laws.

2 hours ago, Lobonado said:

Gruntled players make for a stronger program

There is no writing source that comes out of Albuquerque leaning left politically. First off. At best your coverage is moderate at best in the biggest urban area in New Mexico. This is the rule.

In a rural state and care of the ABQ Journal's ownership/parent company, journalists that wish to be successful here write to a high amount of doubt, negativity and conflict/controversy above all in their pieces surrounding Albuquerque....which UNM is a big part of.

NMFishbowl is an extension of that, whether you take to the independent label or not, writers here take to the rule more than the exception...because they have to eat.

The New AD has promised to do things "the right way" in the face of these media conditions, mainly, the Geoff Grammers and NMSU alumed editors microscoping any/all dirty laundry, sans knowledgable context, and beating the public over the head with it to the point of referencing THEMSELVES in beat stories...and labeling it as "the media" even months down the line. They stick the narrative into almost everything they cover.

The New AD is going to jump on anything and everything he can find. I don't find a lot of substance to this source until better evidence is produced.

Meanwhile, I would avoid inhaling suggestion, rumor and hearsay. ABQ journalism is a smoke machine with a "Go Aggies!" bumper sticker stuck to it...manufactured east of the Mississippi.

This is 5% story and 95% fish hook.