Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mad_Hatter

Legally smart folks

Are all the utilities in your name too?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

43 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Thanks for responding everyone. No we're not married and there is no written agreement for joint ownership. 

I just want to be sure that when I call her bluff I'm the one who holds the upper hand. 

I figure even with the 15 months of rent. It's still not equal to the cost of the down payment and move in costs. 

There's no way she'd be able to buy it from me herself at this point. There is actually a decent amount of equity so far if I do decide to just sell and start over. 

Hatter, a couple of things that might come up if "the law" ends up being involved:

Did all the mortgage payments come out of your account?

How was the amount your GF paid calculated? Was it exactly half of the mortgage including taxes and insurance?

3 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Who's to say that's not how this all happened to begin with. :ph34r:

Good point. Disregard. 

I think we are all missing an important point here, Hatter's girlfriend is now single.  Is she decent looking? 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, Rampage said:

What are you implying here? He is going to be a free man in Oct. (So wait until Oct and invite him to live with them. :hmmm:)

:rotflmfao:

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I'm not an attorney and only have a social media law degree but you need to be careful, you can't just kick her out you need to give her 30 days notice to vacate the property.  If she gets a restraining order against you, you're plucked and will need to find an alternative place to sleep as her residence is still the house. You don't owe her shit though. She was simply paying rent. 

6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Are all the utilities in your name too?

Yeah I'd never just kick her out, I figured an eviction notice would eventually be the way to go. 

How do restraining orders work? You need some kind of cause right? I'm not violent, don't raise my voice and did not cheat on her. I'm actually quite a nice person from what I hear.  

Yes all bills are in my name. Including her cell bill. :hmmm:

1 minute ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Yeah I'd never just kick her out, I figured an eviction notice would eventually be the way to go. 

How do restraining orders work? You need some kind of cause right? I'm not violent, don't raise my voice and did not cheat on her. I'm actually quite a nice person from what I hear.  

Oh yeah......you're screwed. 

I can't see her having any sort of claim on the house then.  Unless you signed an agreement that you'd share the house or something. 

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Hatter, a couple of things that might come up if "the law" ends up being involved:

Did all the mortgage payments come out of your account?

How was the amount your GF paid calculated? Was it exactly half of the mortgage including taxes and insurance?

Yes all paid from my bank account after she transferd me her half from Venmo. 

Yes half of everything included in the mortgage cost. 

This scale comes to mind here... 

hot-crazy-matrix.jpg

Well, given the fact she wants to kick you out of your own house I'm guessing her name is Tiffany and she's in the crazy part of this matrix. 

According to the internet, Nevada is a community property state so at the very minimum, you owe her the amount she payed down your mortgage. You're screwed if she claims that you had a common law marriage. When I got married, I remembered that the official told me that if you shared anything or purchased anything together and held out that you were partners in anything, you could claim that status. Lawyer up and good luck.

14 hours ago, Mad_Hatter said:

I live in Nevada and have been with my girl for 7 years.  Bought a house in my name only, using my 401k and credit. We've lived in this house together since May of last year. She pays half the mortgage and I cover the other half plus all the bills. 

She wants to kick me out now... so before I say GTFO and GFYS... what rights do we both have? 

Thanks in advance. 

:shots:

Are you married. Is Nevada a community property state. 

7 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

According to the internet, Nevada is a community property state so at the very minimum, you owe her the amount she payed down your mortgage. You're screwed if she claims that you had a common law marriage. When I got married, I remembered that the official told me that if you shared anything or purchased anything together and held out that you were partners in anything, you could claim that status. Lawyer up and good luck.

But they're not married and Nevada does not recognize common law unions. He owes her nothing. 

13 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I wasn't implying she had any ownership rights. I was talking about the fact that she has some rights in terms of tenancy. She can't be forced out immediately if she doesn't want to vacate. 

He'll need to get the sheriff to do it if she has no legal grounds to stay.  That's what they do with stubborn renters.  

Mad_Hatter better keep his eyes on her to make sure she doesn't do any damage if she's forced out.  

1 hour ago, Mad_Hatter said:

BTW, not to get personal but do you or she have one or more kids living there and who's kid(s) are they?