Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ExplorerSunDevil

Arizona State vs San Diego State game thread

Just now, 4UNLV said:

in all fairness, there were two phantom OPI calls last week that called off TDs, and a third that waved off a pass to about the 5 yard line.

just sayin.

It sucked. The game was horribly officiated. I'm just calling out the hypocrisy of CSU fans. That's how it goes. 

10 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

It sucked. The game was horribly officiated. I'm just calling out the hypocrisy of CSU fans. That's how it goes. 

Call us out for what?  An no, that's not "how it goes"  3 OPI calls and a 4th hands to the face call that also took 6 pts off the board.  Not to mention the DPI non-calls on Isiah Oliver for CU...

I've admitted there was one questionable call against Neveda back in 2014.  Pretty sure other CSU fans have too.  The bigger problem for Nevada at the time was their big mouth coach.

19 hours ago, Willie Cee said:

Just a little educational piece on officiating for those of you who have never officiated a high-level high school or college football game (I have and still do) You simply do not have the time or the bandwidth to process any sort of prejudice as the game is unfolding before you. I will admit it is possible for a replay booth to inject some bias, but the guys on the field are simply too busy processing what is before them (dark colors vs. light colors) to entertain anything else, including who they might favor. Furthermore, anyone with a built in bias (graduate or family member or a player) is excluded from that particular game anyway. Lastly, these guys really like their jobs and would instantly lose said job if guilty of any of the nonsense internet posters regularly assign to them.

The "refs are cheating us" idea is purely for the entertainment value of the viewer and does nothing more than offer some solace for a loss or poor play from his favorite team that day. Arguments like these are groundless, stupid and illogical. You would know this if you ever donned the stripes in a fast moving competitive game.

You're in on it! You're one of them!

-Tinfoil Hat Brigade

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

19 hours ago, Willie Cee said:

Just a little educational piece on officiating for those of you who have never officiated a high-level high school or college football game (I have and still do) You simply do not have the time or the bandwidth to process any sort of prejudice as the game is unfolding before you. I will admit it is possible for a replay booth to inject some bias, but the guys on the field are simply too busy processing what is before them (dark colors vs. light colors) to entertain anything else, including who they might favor. Furthermore, anyone with a built in bias (graduate or family member or a player) is excluded from that particular game anyway. Lastly, these guys really like their jobs and would instantly lose said job if guilty of any of the nonsense internet posters regularly assign to them.

The "refs are cheating us" idea is purely for the entertainment value of the viewer and does nothing more than offer some solace for a loss or poor play from his favorite team that day. Arguments like these are groundless, stupid and illogical. You would know this if you ever donned the stripes in a fast moving competitive game.

I agree with you about the intentional stuff. Did you see the calls in question?

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

14 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Riigghhht. 

How can you compare something that benefited CSU to something that harmed it? Are you retarded or something? There's no comparison!!!!11!!!!!!!one!!1!!!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

23 hours ago, Willie Cee said:

While I respect your opinion.  You cannot speak for every official, field judge, side judge, referee, umpire etc.

That PAC crew prevented us from scoring.  The calls were terrible and should have been picked up by the referee.  Especially when points were being taken off the board repeatedly.

That said i really hope the Tecs win Saturday despite the officials.  if it's the same ass holes that called our game then God be with you!

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

On 9/6/2017 at 0:36 PM, Willie Cee said:

You are mostly right, however USU at one time had a umpire that not only went to the school we were playing, but was a star player at that school, and was a member of their booster club. There is a reason why bowl games have officials from conferences other than the two schools playing, some of the reason is to silence what is going on here.

I do not believe that officials go into a game wanting to cheat one school, if I did it would be hard to watch. I have a relative that is a high level official, he does not do any games that his school is playing, and he could care less about who wins. When I coached I did not argue with officials, because I did not want the kids to think anything, but ourselves was responsible for the games result.

On 9/6/2017 at 1:15 PM, jimjam said:

Clearly you didn't watch.

I once watched officials completely hand a game a game CSU in basketball when they very clearly had lost. And that wasn't a theoretical "what might have been"... the game was over. They have certainly benefitted from egregious calls. 

Officials have no such thought process, it is simply too difficult to work a game with any other agenda than getting the call right. You are graded and evaluated and your assignments depend on getting most of the calls correct. Guys that have been on crews for years are working because they get most of the calls correct. It is almost impossible to work college football as an official and apply prejudice in your judgments. In all due respect, to think otherwise is just silly.

Do refs screw up calls? YES, Do refs get thing backward? YES, are refs purposefully looking to benefit a favored team or hurt an unfavoured team? Ridiculous!

5 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I once watched officials completely hand a game a game CSU in basketball when they very clearly had lost. And that wasn't a theoretical "what might have been"... the game was over. They have certainly benefitted from egregious calls. 

Yes,that was a bad one.  I knew that Webb 3-ball beat the clock in real-time.  I didnt need a slow-mo replay.  And I went to my car and drove home.  Turned the radio on to listen to the post-game and was shocked that they were playing OT. 

1 minute ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Yes,that was a bad one.  I knew that Webb 3-ball beat the clock in real-time.  I didnt need a slow-mo replay.  And I went to my car and drove home.  Turned the radio on to listen to the post-game and was shocked that they were playing OT. 

That was a tough break against CSU and its too bad it affected what could have been a good game, but for this poster to act like this is on an island of uniqueness is just moronic. 

44 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

That was a tough break against CSU and its too bad it affected what could have been a good game, but for this poster to act like this is on an island of uniqueness is just moronic. 

Bad calls happen all the time.  The unique part of the CSU-CU game was that it was the same official making the same call in virtually the same spot on the field on three occasions.  I've seen a bad call here or there. Ive never seen what I saw on Friday night.  It was especially bad.  

11 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Bad calls happen all the time.  The unique part of the CSU-CU game was that it was the same official making the same call in virtually the same spot on the field on three occasions.  I've seen a bad call here or there. Ive never seen what I saw on Friday night.  It was especially bad.  

There was one official that I was very displeased with in the Troy game, but fortunately it didn't cost them the game. He continually gave horrendous spots, two awful PI calls (one against, one non call), and the fact that the guy was six feet away from that fumble into the endzone that happened a good 2 yards short from being a TD was absolutely gawd awful. Luckily, though, it was clear in the booth what happened, but it was so blatant even from the upper deck that it was a fumble. To be that close and act like you didn't see it was shite.

I'm fully expecting the worst this weekend in Pullman. Pac 12 refs are notorious nationwide.

20 hours ago, Willie Cee said:

Officials have no such thought process, it is simply too difficult to work a game with any other agenda than getting the call right. You are graded and evaluated and your assignments depend on getting most of the calls correct. Guys that have been on crews for years are working because they get most of the calls correct. It is almost impossible to work college football as an official and apply prejudice in your judgments. In all due respect, to think otherwise is just silly.

Do refs screw up calls? YES, Do refs get thing backward? YES, are refs purposefully looking to benefit a favored team or hurt an unfavoured team? Ridiculous!

With all due respect, I'm curious to see what you think about swoll's  post below. I saw the same thing he did, and I really don't have a dog in the fight. Calls on phantom OPI took at least 3 scores off the board, and greatly changed the momentum of the game. It sure looked like there was an agenda.. that would be some coincidence.

19 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

On 9/7/2017 at 0:27 PM, Willie Cee said:

They work for the confrence. They aren't gonna get fired for helping a member.

"Too difficult" to what? To throw a flag on a borderline call? Are you implying that someone couldn't be biased, wven if they tried? Thats ridiculous. 

Every team in this confrence has a "PAC officials" story. Most members of that fandom would point out the same game in its repespective history. Ours is '05 in Eugene.

Intentional or not, there is always an inherent bias for the one who signs your paycheck. It's human nature.

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

With all due respect, I'm curious to see what you think about swoll's  post below. I saw the same thing he did, and I really don't have a dog in the fight. Calls on phantom OPI took at least 3 scores off the board, and greatly changed the momentum of the game. It sure looked like there was an agenda.. that would be some coincidence.

I did not witness, nor do I have any personal information on the incident that Swoll references (if true, I would question whether this individual was retained as a crew member). What I do know and can say pretty conclusively is that every call/no call is graded by at least one or more supervisors or film reviewers and anyone in the crew who has demonstrated poor judgment or incompetence (let alone bias) will find themselves very rapidly assigned to Pop Warner football on Saturday mornings. Like I said earlier, I assure you all that these are coveted positions (full-time crew membership) in the referee world and are subject to rapid termination for any consistent failure to deliver objective and skillful performance. Note: Although I am somewhat familiar with basketball officiating, my post is directed at football related scenarios.