Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

ESPN analyst quits: Football isn’t ‘safe for the brain’

19 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Better helmets have worsened the problem. They should get rid of them.

this could very well happen in hockey and many feel it would improve the game by going back to its relatively recent roots.

26 minutes ago, k5james said:

Those are concussions.  You don't need a concussion to develop CTE.

True. That's why linemen are developing CTE at alarming rates. It's not necessarily the big concussion hits, it's the constant banging of heads experienced by linemen on almost every play.

There is little or no evidence that heading the ball contributes this type of damage.

https://www.nap.edu/read/10362/chapter/6

The concussions which result from heading to ball almost always involve a collision with another player.

53 minutes ago, renoskier said:

True. That's why linemen are developing CTE at alarming rates. It's not necessarily the big concussion hits, it's the constant banging of heads experienced by linemen on almost every play.

There is little or no evidence that heading the ball contributes this type of damage.

https://www.nap.edu/read/10362/chapter/6

The concussions which result from heading to ball almost always involve a collision with another player.

Citing a study from 2002?

The more research being done the worse it looks for soccer...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/health/brain-damage-dementia-cte-soccer-football-study/index.html

4 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Better helmets have worsened the problem. They should get rid of them.

That's true and maybe get rid of shoulder pads as well. Look at rugby, where football came from. They hit hard in that sport too, but there's a lot less serious injuries. 

Image result for rugby

15 hours ago, Hugh Jiddump said:

The NFL shd be sued for trillions

#GetThemSonsaBltches

Call me jaded but a lot of this smells like the set-up for one big ass class action lawsuit. Can you imagine the plaintiffs lawyers drooling over the hundreds of millions to billions of dollars in the endowments of football playing institutions. The NFL has the capital and resources to survive but individual colleges having to fight off the claims of ex-players as an exploited class would spell the end of "college" football. 

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

It's only a matter of time. 

As I've said before, I think High School is where the real potential for stoppage, and ultimately legal exposure is. Hard to see how public institutions charged with the care of minors can continue to organize and implement competitive brain damage on that scale.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

20 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

From my understanding the brain is suspended in fluid and the hits slam the brain against the front of the skull. No helmet could prevent this. 

Who said anything about a helmet?  I was told by a doctor that in WWI, they actually removed some of the paratroopers clavicles as a test to avoid broken collar bones when they hit the ground!

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

As I've said before, I think High School is where the real potential for stoppage, and ultimately legal exposure is. Hard to see how public institutions charged with the care of minors can continue to organize and implement competitive brain damage on that scale.

Again, so are we going to stop letting kids play Soccer, Lacrosse, Hockey, etc...

They'll just come up with a CTE waiver that parents will have to sign to let a kid play.

3 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

What parent would sign that waiver? 

I would if my child wanted to play football because I played football and understand the risks/benefits of competing in the sport.

There is as if yet little evidence that playing high school football or younger causes CTE.

I played from 6th grade to JC.  I'm more likely to get dementia/alzheimers from genetics than my time playing football.

20 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

What parent would sign that waiver? 

I would. My parents signed multiple waivers for me to play Pop Warner some 25 to 30 years ago. Don't see what the difference would be here.

13 minutes ago, k5james said:

There is as if yet little evidence that playing high school football or younger causes CTE.

I played from 6th grade to JC.  I'm more likely to get dementia/alzheimers from genetics than my time playing football.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, k5james said:

I would if my child wanted to play football because I played football and understand the risks/benefits of competing in the sport.

Do you think there's some special benefit to playing football vs other team sports? If so, that's bullshit. I played 4 years of high school football as well as four years of lacrosse; also played lax in college. The benefits come from working together as a team toward a common goal.

Also regarding soccer, I've signed waivers for my all of my children to play soccer; there's no way I'd do so for football. My daughter plays high school and club soccer; in her game on Tuesday the ball was "headed" only 2-3 times the whole game. It's just not very prevalent at the high school level.