Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Howard at UNLV - Season opener

Video  

f49d3dc29a393c34a9cb179a2222b6ad

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Perhaps - If you look at that game, if UNLV could have finished drives and not let two fumbles get away, UNLV probably wins with ease. Still the defense couldn't get a stop when needed and gave up chunks of yardage and had trouble tackling 

yeah, the offense couldn't get into the end zone while in the red zone, especially in the first half. 

last year they did so well in not giving up fumbles.. they've got some work to do, and it's not only the defense. cotton is not much better than baer, but he did have them moving downfield. the OL did pretty well, I don't remember seeing rogers get sacked? and they opened some good holes for the backs. lex is so dang fast, and after his late TD he could barely make it to the sideline before he collapsed (right in front of me, that's why i keep those seats, lol), both he and williams had to shake off some dings, they had to be pretty sore today.

And therein lies the issue with hiring a coach with little/no collegiate coaching experience. He has fewer relationships from which to pull coaches he personally knows. Plus, that's a tough gig. Vegas lost almost its entire defense. For the life of me why did everyone thing the team would be improved? Give it time. 

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

And therein lies the issue with hiring a coach with little/no collegiate coaching experience. He has fewer relationships from which to pull coaches he personally knows. Plus, that's a tough gig. Vegas lost almost its entire defense. For the life of me why did everyone thing the team would be improved? Give it time. 

they have a week, lol.

and yes, the rebs are one of only 4 teams to not have anyone back on the front line. some growing pains for sure, but baer has underperformed every step of the way. getting rid of him would help.

and the offense WILL be improved. for the most part i liked what i saw from rogers, as soon as he gets comfortable i think he'll do really well, i thought the coaches held him back too much last night. but the run game is good...

and as @just_chrissaid, howard had nothing to lose, and anyway, newton was pissed about the 45 point spread. great motivator.

we'll see what happens. but i don't think it will be pretty.

44 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

yeah, the offense couldn't get into the end zone while in the red zone, especially in the first half. 

last year they did so well in not giving up fumbles.. they've got some work to do, and it's not only the defense. cotton is not much better than baer, but he did have them moving downfield. the OL did pretty well, I don't remember seeing rogers get sacked? and they opened some good holes for the backs. lex is so dang fast, and after his late TD he could barely make it to the sideline before he collapsed (right in front of me, that's why i keep those seats, lol), both he and williams had to shake off some dings, they had to be pretty sore today.

UNLV didn't allow any sacks 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Perhaps - If you look at that game, if UNLV could have finished drives and not let two fumbles get away, UNLV probably wins with ease. Still the defense couldn't get a stop when needed and gave up chunks of yardage and had trouble tackling 

Those are tell tale signs of bad coaching, Baer is now in his 3rd year and the defense hasn't improved at all in that time, if anything it's a regression. He needed to be gone after the Reno game last year and he's already cost us a game this year. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

10 minutes ago, just_chris said:

Those are tell tale signs of bad coaching, Baer is now in his 3rd year and the defense hasn't improved at all in that time, if anything it's a regression. He needed to be gone after the Reno game last year and he's already cost us a game this year. 

Is his contract done after this year?  Gotta get rid of him after this year?  I'm still not sold on Cotton either but the D is bad. Need to address that 1st

18 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Is his contract done after this year?  Gotta get rid of him after this year?  I'm still not sold on Cotton either but the D is bad. Need to address that 1st

I am not sure of his contract situation but it's pretty clear that if Sanchez doesn't axe him it might be all 3 of them going out the door together

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

3 hours ago, just_chris said:

I am not sure of his contract situation but it's pretty clear that if Sanchez doesn't axe him it might be all 3 of them going out the door together

lol. Sanchez awnsers to boosters just like the entire program does. It's the sole reason unlv is the biggest joke going. Fertita money knows nothing about building winning football. Reb high is being held hostage. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

5 hours ago, just_chris said:

What is really sad is what Sanchez said after the reno game.  

"Sanchez said offensive coordinator Barney Cotton and defensive coordinator Kent Baer did a “tremendous job."  (article from RJ)

4 hours ago, NWRebel said:

What is really sad is what Sanchez said after the reno game.  

"Sanchez said offensive coordinator Barney Cotton and defensive coordinator Kent Baer did a “tremendous job."  (article from RJ)

well then he can go, too.

edit. i just saw that was after the reno game.. still applies.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

well then he can go, too.

edit. i just saw that was after the reno game.. still applies.

You guys have a serious problem. We had the same issues with CTD and his loyalty to his guys. It took for Bartko to tell him to fire Schramm and Toth or he was gone. Schramm was fired and Toth reassigned to lb coach. By then CTD had lost the team and we were in a free fall.

I hope your AD does something sooner than later. 

15 minutes ago, rudolro said:

You guys have a serious problem. We had the same issues with CTD and his loyalty to his guys. It took for Bartko to tell him to fire Schramm and Toth or he was gone. Schramm was fired and Toth reassigned to lb coach. By then CTD had lost the team and we were in a free fall.

I hope your AD does something sooner than later. 

exactly.

Once the facility gets started, there's no reason to keep Sanchez.  With the stadium and football facility, we will have the infrastructure needed to start winning so long as we get a good coach.  Maybe DRF can find the next Urban Meyer or Chris Petersen (both top five coaches in college football).

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Once the facility gets started, there's no reason to keep Sanchez.  With the stadium and football facility, we will have the infrastructure needed to start winning so long as we get a good coach.  Maybe DRF can find the next Urban Meyer or Chris Petersen (both top five coaches in college football).

There's a huge flaw in this.  If you guys wait 2 years to do something with Sanchez there might not be a program left to do anything with.  Fan support will die.

Your AD at very least needs to make a move at the end of the season.

So who got fired?  I missed the announcement on UNLVrebels.com

They fire the water boy or that fat +++++ Rocky Rutledge?  Somebody had to get fired right.

Video Coordinator get shown the door?  SOMEBODY!

Worst loss in the history of College Football.

Anybody have any pride left at all?  Fire somebody!!!!

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

So who got fired?  I missed the announcement on UNLVrebels.com

They fire the water boy or that fat +++++ Rocky Rutledge?  Somebody had to get fired right.

Video Coordinator get shown the door?  SOMEBODY!

Worst loss in the history of College Football.

Anybody have any pride left at all?  Fire somebody!!!!

I agree that somebody should be fired, but Rocky Rutledge isn't one of them.

Good break down of some ugly numbers that helped UNLV be the laughing stock of college football last week:  https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/sep/04/anatomy-of-disaster-how-unlv-lost-to-howard-by-the/

13: Penalties called against UNLV

15: Points left on the board in the first half

2: Third downs converted by UNLV

87: Plays run by Howard

309: Rushing yards allowed by UNLV

13.6: Shift, by percentage, in win probability on fumble return touchdown

Aside from Howard’s go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter, the single most pivotal play of the game (according to ESPN’s win probability tracker) was Howard’s 75-yard fumble return touchdown midway through the second quarter. UNLV was trailing, 14-9, and driving in Bison territory when sophomore running back Charles Williams fumbled and Devin Rollins ran it back for a touchdown. Before the play, UNLV had a 90.5 percent chance of winning; after, the Rebels’ win probability dropped to 76.9 percent.

UNLV still had a good chance to win late in the game midway through the fourth quarter, but a 3-and-out possession with five minutes left dropped the Rebels’ win probability by 21.4 percent. Tariq Hollandsworth’s fumbled kickoff return dropped it another 6.1 percent, and Drew Tejchman’s lost fumble on UNLV’s second-to-last drive caused it to tumble another 3.5 percent.