Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

What if..............

4 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Are you suggesting many Bernie supporters voted Trump????  

I think more than you believe. Bernie is a populist. A different stripe than Trump, sure, but a populist none the less.

23 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Does anyone really think Trump is a true conservative anyway?  Looking at it that way, guess he is a fit for the modern day GOP....

Modern day Churchill (in this one aspect at least)

31 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I doubt any material # of Bernie supporters voted Trump.

Have you met Bernie supporters?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

I think in places like Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin it was relatively significant. And in those three states, Trump didn't need that many to sway the election. Furthermore, I think a fair number of Trump supporters would have voted for Bernie if that was the general election matchup. Not Trump's hardcore supporters, but the working class folks who decided to take a flyer on Trump.

7 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Are you suggesting many Bernie supporters voted Trump????  

Have seen articles that some did - Trump & Sanders aligned on a few things like both were against the trade partnerships.

Plus Bernie so damaged the reputation of the democrats with his new followers that many easily flipped to Trump.

And many went to Jill Stein and some sat out.............and some went to Clinton, but it wasn't like the huge majority went to Clinton.

21 hours ago, pokebball said:

Trump has turned out to be pretty dang bad, but all of it wasn't known back in November.

Oh come on. He's doing exactly what he said he would do. And nothing in his previous life suggested it wouldn't be a clown show in the process.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

3 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

I think you'd be surprised. A lot of them didn't vote for Hillary.

Somebody voted for Trump and didn't vote for Hillary or he wouldn't have been elected.  Considering Trump is a democrat running like a typical pre-1970 democrat I imagine most of his voter base comes from democrats.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Oh come on. He's doing exactly what he said he would do. And nothing in his previous life suggested it wouldn't be a clown show in the process.

Well, I like a lot of what's he's doing, from a policy standpoint.  And I didn't expect the Dems to join the circus like they have either.  :)

The World Needs More Cowboys!

5 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

In fact, a lot of Bernie voters did swing to Trump in the general election, 12%, according to this NPR article that discusses a recent study examining 50,000 Bernie primary voters.  http://www.npr.org/2017/08/24/545812242/1-in-10-sanders-primary-voters-ended-up-supporting-trump-survey-finds

Not surprisingly, the data does not indicate a simple defection of a few Bernie supporters was the cause for Hillary losing the election. In fact, according to the study such swings from primary voters for one candidate in a primary to the candidate from the opposing party in the general election is not unusual. The bottom line is that these things are rarely black and white, so blaming Bernie supporters who swung to Trump in the general election is almost certainly misdirected. One might make a more credible argument that Bernie supporters who stayed home shoulder more of the blame, but since this study apparently didn't dig down into that data, it doesn't answer that question.