Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheTedfordTrain

SJSU is an Embarrassment

4 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

Do you think SJSU would own it if they were to join? 

I was making a point of the Montana schools basically running that league. Montana is the land of the "Big Sky" and it is the "Big Sky" Conference.  I guess if SJSU joined that league they would be one of the big dogs though. Personally, I am not anti-SJSU. I would like to see the Spartans turn things around.

Just now, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

It was a serious question. I don't think they'd even compete for a title in the Big Sky, but that's my opinion. 

They wouldn't.

They'd have to drop scholarships and transition down to FCS caliber players. SJSU has actually recruited fairly well the last few years (not much to show for it) but that would all go away when kids understand they would be playing teams like Northern Arizona, Weber State, and Idaho State.

Montana/MSU/EW have the system down pretty well, but that would be a VERY tough sell to Cali kids who can get better offers. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

1 minute ago, RogueStout said:

They wouldn't.

They'd have to drop scholarships and transition down to FCS caliber players. SJSU has actually recruited fairly well the last few years (not much to show for it) but that would all go away when kids understand they would be playing teams like Northern Arizona, Weber State, and Idaho State.

Montana/MSU/EW have the system down pretty well, but that would be a VERY tough sell to Cali kids who can get better offers. 

Their recruiting has taken a massive plummet since Brennan took over. Their class this year wasn't all that impressive and it's looking even worse for next year. They only have two commits thus far- both without any other FBS offers. That program is simply a complete and utter dumpster fire.  No denying it. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

16 minutes ago, LPH-10 said:

I was making a point of the Montana schools basically running that league. Montana is the land of the "Big Sky" and it is the "Big Sky" Conference.  I guess if SJSU joined that league they would be one of the big dogs though. Personally, I am not anti-SJSU. I would like to see the Spartans turn things around.

Hoping that they turn things around and believing that they'll turn things are two different things. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Just now, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

Hoping that they turn things around and believing that they'll turn things are two different things. 

True, it really doesn't appear like they are taking the steps to make turning around happen.

SJSU would be better off dropping football all together and looking to join a smaller conference like Big West or WAC in other sports that aren't as demanding. If a new coach and facing a top 25 team can't get fans excited, then they are wasting their money. It's a sad reality but it's the truth.

19 hours ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

We're lucky enough to have some donors with really deep pockets. One in particular, who lends the head coach a private jet for recruiting purposes, is rumored to have paid off DeRuyters buyout and raised the salaries of all the new coaches this year. 

Fresno State supposedly already has $15 million in pledges for the stadium renovation per media reports. That is before the final plans are complete and Trustee approval of the project. The university originally said it was looking for $20 million for the donor part of the financing so support is definitely there.

19 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Because although they donate to SJSU, they don't donate to SJSU athletics.

Sometimes here I see SJSU supporters bringing up Cal Poly. A decade or so back, Alex Spanos donated millions to renovate Cal Poly's stadium. The reason he did it was he had been the Cal Poly Band drum major in school and had good memories of performing at halftime. Can never know why a donor might decide to direct money in a certain direction.

5 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Fresno State supposedly already has $15 million in pledges for the stadium renovation per media reports. That is before the final plans are complete and Trustee approval of the project. The university originally said it was looking for $20 million for the donor part of the financing so support is definitely there.

Sometimes here I see SJSU supporters bringing up Cal Poly. A decade or so back, Alex Spanos donated millions to renovate Cal Poly's stadium. The reason he did it was he had been the Cal Poly Band drum major in school and had good memories of performing at halftime. Can never know why a donor might decide to direct money in a certain direction.

Cool... maybe Cincy will be donating soon for you guys, although he doesn't have all good memories.... #beatdown #Tubaalumnus

On 8/29/2017 at 9:01 AM, LPH-10 said:

I agree Montana and Montana State will never leave their current conference.  UM and MSU pretty much own that league, they don't call it the "Big Sky Conference" for nothing.

It's not out of the question especially considering we could get a good chunk of change for it. Have to remember we were being offered by the collapsing WAC, an invite from the Mountain West Conference would be a completely different matter.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:48 AM, BackthePack said:

SJSU would be better off dropping football all together and looking to join a smaller conference like Big West or WAC in other sports that aren't as demanding. If a new coach and facing a top 25 team can't get fans excited, then they are wasting their money. It's a sad reality but it's the truth.

Can we get a (Fund Me) going for them?

9 minutes ago, doggystyleu2 said:

Can we get a (Fund Me) going for them?

Mug actually tried that a while back. He chipped in $5 I believe. Went nowhere. 

12 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

@EmptySeatsPics posts from the pros, college, etc. UCF-FIU was just posted.

Not too impressive, but it still blows Sharta out of the water. 

11 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I tried telling people here that nobody in Florida cared about UCF/USF and I was laughed at. Their support is a joke. 

@FormerFrog Get in here and educate this damn fool about these fine Athletic programs dominating the state of Florida!

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok