Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ExplorerSunDevil

There needs to be a challenger to ESPN......

............for the rights to College Football broadcasts. I realize that FOX, CBS and NBC have too many other non college sports agreements to challenge ESPN, but does anyone think that anyone else can challenge them?

One of my great optimisms of the next 5 years is NOT that ESPN goes out of business, but that someone gives them a legitimate challenge to be a potential default TV home for college football games.

Right now, I think ESPN owns too much of the college football market and I would love to see another cable network challenge them and put multiple games on the same time that ESPN does to show that they aren't afraid of ESPN.

Anyone agree with me on any of this?

I realize this is completely random, but I just thought I had to say this because it was fresh on my mind and wondered what others that about the aforementioned topic(s).

3 minutes ago, Traitmanz said:

Fox did yank half of the Big Ten contract away from ESPN and Fox will broadcast the Ohio State - Michigan game this year 

Would be nice if they had the balls to put it on opposite Alabama v Auburn.  :)

To the point of the OP.  As ESPN loses it's ability to control college athletics, others will come in to compete.  New contracts, new platforms, new technology will begin to level the playing field.  The competition will only benefit the consumer.  No more monopoly.  The most successful approach will win.  That's how ESPN got big in the first place, but they've lost track of their roots.

14 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Would be nice if they had the balls to put it on opposite Alabama v Auburn.  :)

To the point of the OP.  As ESPN loses it's ability to control college athletics, others will come in to compete.  New contracts, new platforms, new technology will begin to level the playing field.  The competition will only benefit the consumer.  No more monopoly.  The most successful approach will win.  That's how ESPN got big in the first place, but they've lost track of their roots.

That would be huge but isn't that game on CBS?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

ES PEE YU....

this family of stations is not allowed on any tvs in my house unless SDSU is on or any G5 teams I'm interested in. P5 vs P5 are not watched including bowl games. ESPU has had too much control over college athletics and did too much damage. I will watch P5 games on other networks but that's rare. If all G5 fans did the same ESPU would be in serious trouble if not already. 

10 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Cable will be a thing of the past by 2027 anyway what do you care

And ESPN will be OTT before then.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

14 hours ago, ExplorerSunDevil said:

............for the rights to College Football broadcasts. I realize that FOX, CBS and NBC have too many other non college sports agreements to challenge ESPN, but does anyone think that anyone else can challenge them?

One of my great optimisms of the next 5 years is NOT that ESPN goes out of business, but that someone gives them a legitimate challenge to be a potential default TV home for college football games.

Right now, I think ESPN owns too much of the college football market and I would love to see another cable network challenge them and put multiple games on the same time that ESPN does to show that they aren't afraid of ESPN.

Anyone agree with me on any of this?

I realize this is completely random, but I just thought I had to say this because it was fresh on my mind and wondered what others that about the aforementioned topic(s).

Other than the fact that for some reason we often place a target on the "big guy", I've never understood the animosity towards ESPN. They have been the most successful sports network because they invented the format and gave the consumers what they wanted, more sports on TV. Are folks unhappy that our relatively small market teams don't get more exposure and/or more money? Did we get more before ESPN existed?

If somehow folks are hoping more competition will bring more money our way, it ain't going to happen. ESPN's current woes are because they've over extended and have over paid. 

Until someone successfully figures out how to monetize live TV as we move away from subscription services, we're in for a ride. 

14 hours ago, SDDean said:

ES PEE YU....

this family of stations is not allowed on any tvs in my house unless SDSU is on or any G5 teams I'm interested in. P5 vs P5 are not watched including bowl games. ESPU has had too much control over college athletics and did too much damage. I will watch P5 games on other networks but that's rare. If all G5 fans did the same ESPU would be in serious trouble if not already. 

You show em'.

:rolleyes:

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Other than the fact that for some reason we often place a target on the "big guy", I've never understood the animosity towards ESPN. They have been the most successful sports network because they invented the format and gave the consumers what they wanted, more sports on TV. Are folks unhappy that our relatively small market teams don't get more exposure and/or more money? Did we get more before ESPN existed?

If somehow folks are hoping more competition will bring more money our way, it ain't going to happen. ESPN's current woes are because they've over extended and have over paid. 

Until someone successfully figures out how to monetize live TV as we move away from subscription services, we're in for a ride. 

+1

People here seem to believe that the demise of ESPN and / or the rise of streaming and potentially self-produced content will increase revenues for smaller schools. Newsflash: That will not happen. If you are a small market team or less succesful team you actually reap proportionally much higher benefit from collective TV agreements than larger or more succesful teams. The more individualized the contracts get, the more they benefit the larger teams as they hold all the power.