Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

The Rothstein files MWC Basketball preview

2 hours ago, pokebball said:

My gut tells me we might have a great recruiter that can't coach again. Time will tell

yeah, maybe give him 20 minutes? :D he changed a lot in your program last year, he's bringing in guys more suited to play the way he wants to. i think he's going to do well.

4 hours ago, pokebball said:

My gut tells me we might have a great recruiter that can't coach again. Time will tell

I have faith. Transitioning into a new style will take more than one season (let alone half of one). There was a big learning curve in shot selection and pace of moving the offense last year (fast and in control vs fast and out of control). With that you have guys trying to redefine and figure out their roles in the new structure. I think the Pokes finish top 5 with the first season under their belts. They add some key freshman and I think that you'll see Herndon, James and Dalton see significant playing time right from the tip off this year. James has POY talent. Whether or not he can fully harness it and take the coaching (which I think is why he didn't start a lot of games last year, me thinks there was a bit of a prima donna bit going on) to achieve that level is yet to be determined. 

tetons1.jpg

3 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

No, not that bad, middle of the pack not 9th.  Lobos could be the surprise team this year but are more suited for domination next year and beyond. We are loaded for next year with a 5* & two 4* coming in so far...

I think most of us are aware they will be good next year, but they are going to struggle this year. 

8 hours ago, fbpack said:
 1. Will the Mountain West again be a one-bid league in 2018?

It’s hard to see otherwise unless teams in this conference make major waves in November and December. The Mountain West has had a combined two teams in the last two NCAA Tournaments over the past two years, going from a multi-bid league to a regular mid-major league. Why has there been a change? San Diego State, UNLV and New Mexico have all gone through major transitions and until this trio of brand-name programs returns to national relevance, it’s going to be hard to see the Mountain West again regularly competing for more than one spot in the field of 68.

Power Rankings:

1. Nevada
2. Fresno State
3. San Diego State
4. Boise State
5. UNLV
6. Colorado State
7. Wyoming
8. Utah State
9. New Mexico
10. San Jose State
11. Air Force

AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY... THE MWC IS A 1 BID LEAGUE.

giphy.gif

THE RELEVANT QUESTION IS, WHO IS STRONGER? THE MWC OR CUSA?

MTSU (AND UAB) HAVE SHOWED UP IN THE NCAA TOURNEY. (Unlike their MWC peers)

I'D SAY THE CUSA "POWER RANKINGS" MATCH UP FAVORABLY TO THE MWC'S..

1. MTSU

2. WKU

3. UAB

4. ODU

5. UTEP

6. LA TECH

7. MARSHALL

8. CHARLOTTE

9. FIU

10. SOUTHERN MISS

11. UTSA

12. UNT

13. FAU

14. RICE

JUST LIKE THE MWC, THAT'S A 1 BID CONFERENCE WITH A SMALL GROUP AT THE TOP THAT'S GOOD EVERY NOW AND THEN.

UNFORTUNATELY FOR CUSA AND THE MWC, THE REST OF THE CONFERENCE KILLS EVERYONE'S RPI - RELEGATING BOTH CONFERENCES TO 1-BID MID MAJORS.

THE MWC HAS SUFFERED THE EXACT SAME FATE OF CUSA BASKETBALL (WHICH USED TO BE A PROUD HOOPS LEAGUE)

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

9 hours ago, SLCPoke said:

I have faith. Transitioning into a new style will take more than one season (let alone half of one). There was a big learning curve in shot selection and pace of moving the offense last year (fast and in control vs fast and out of control). With that you have guys trying to redefine and figure out their roles in the new structure. I think the Pokes finish top 5 with the first season under their belts. They add some key freshman and I think that you'll see Herndon, James and Dalton see significant playing time right from the tip off this year. James has POY talent. Whether or not he can fully harness it and take the coaching (which I think is why he didn't start a lot of games last year, me thinks there was a bit of a prima donna bit going on) to achieve that level is yet to be determined. 

I hear you.  I was frustrated with Edwards' starting line ups, rotations and adjustments (or lack thereof).  He had limited options which had to complicate things.  I'm on board and willing to give him a year or two and see where things go.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

13 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

No, not that bad, middle of the pack not 9th.  Lobos could be the surprise team this year but are more suited for domination next year and beyond. We are loaded for next year with a 5* & two 4* coming in so far...

Huh....Who is the second former 4 star coming in?  Lyle was a former 5 star recruit, Vance Jackson was a former 4 star recruit.  Who else?

17 hours ago, fbpack said:

Who is projected to start for the Aztecs this year??

I'd say Kell, Hemsley and University of SF transfer PG Devin Watson are the only certain starters. Some claim Malik Pope is a certain starter too but I remain skeptical. Pope has huge potential but has been very erratic because of injuries, failure to realize he needs to play in the paint on offense rather than behind the arc, etc. So I'll put him in the same category he's been the last two years, occasional starter, along with Cal grad transfer C Kameron Rooks (Sean Rooks' kid), true freshman F Matt Mitchell and redshirt freshman F Jalen McDaniels.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 minutes ago, FormerFrog said:

BIG LOSS FOR THE MWC. AN ALL-CONFERENCE PLAYER, BRANDON CLARKE TRANSFERS OUT!!!

Arizona Warriors @ArizonaWarriors 13h13 hours ago 

San Jose state granted Brandon Clarke permission to contact

Jeff BorzelloVerified account @jeffborzello 5h5 hours ago 

Jeff Borzello Retweeted Arizona Warriors

17.5 PPG, 8.9 RPG.

Events which increase the possibility of San Jose State leaving are the opposite of a Big Loss for the MWC.

Boom goes the dynamite.

18 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Events which increase the possibility of San Jose State leaving are the opposite of a Big Loss for the MWC.

Unfortunately, SJSU is bunkered into the flesh of the MWC like a tick.

They aint goin anywhere.

SJSU is a casualty of Bob Kustra's syphoning efforts. They just don't have the gas to make their programs go.

As a result, they ARE AN ANCHOR on the MWC collective rankings, like a lot of teams. It's what guarantees just 1 bid out of this league.

It doesn't help that NEVADA is trying to recruit SJSU's best guy. LOL. Check Clarke's twitter followers. 

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

1 hour ago, FormerFrog said:

SJSU is a casualty of Bob Kustra's syphoning efforts. They just don't have the gas to make their programs go.As a result, they ARE AN ANCHOR on the MWC

SJSU's problems are all of its own making. And you're also wrong about the Spartans being in the MWC forever. Unlike the AAC's anchor, Too-lame, once the MWC returns tier 3 rights to its constituent members, SJSU will become so relatively impoverished it will be forced to bail. And stop mentioning Willie Fritz. He'll be gone in 16 months.

Boom goes the dynamite.