Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

OT: Larry Legend

Although his name does come up when ranking the greats, Larry Bird is still underrated.  He's not the token white-guy in these discussions. He deserves to be in the conversation of the all-time greats and I would lose sleep trying to decide between him and Michael if I had 1st pick in an all-time NBA draft. 

not sure if this is a troll post but i'll pretend it's not

great player, all-time player, arguably best white player ever in the nba. nothing negative to say about larry legend but imo the health issues keep him off that mj/lebron tier for me

larry legend has some great stories tho

I'd take Tim Duncan over Bird in a draft of all-time players. Bird is certainly in the top 10, and one of the all-time greats, but Duncan is top 5 behind Jordan, LeBron, Kareem, and Magic in my book. 

1 hour ago, sgvaztec said:

Magic was the all-time greatest IMHO.  He was a match-up nightmare. 

Magic has said Larry was the best there ever was. I think Magic now says Jordan is, though. 

2 hours ago, Brew_Poke said:

Man, the NBA was fun to watch back then.

Robert Parrish literally punched Bill Laimbeer in the face during a game and didn't get ejected.  That's how awesome the NBA was back then!  Now we have Lebron James flopping...

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Magic would be my 1st pick in the all-time draft. Made everyone better. 

Can't really argue with that.

Larry made everyone better as well. I think Bird could have been a much more productive scorer if he wanted too.  Like Magic, he focused on the team and leadership much more than his own stats.

17 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Robert Parrish literally punched Bill Laimbeer in the face during a game and didn't get ejected.  That's how awesome the NBA was back then!  Now we have Lebron James flopping...

We also had Kevin McHale clothesline Kurt Rambis in the '84 Finals :angry: and didn't get rejected. 

22 minutes ago, toonkee said:

3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

We also had Kevin McHale clothesline Kurt Rambis in the '84 Finals :angry: and didn't get rejected. 

good times, lol.

and we had Parrish and McHale doing their shenanigans, but the pistons were the bad boys? (and by the way, @jdgaucho i HATED  McHale..he was always such a dirty player.)

12 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Yeah, that's my take and I'm sticking to it.  Great player, did a lot of great things, but gets overrated because he's white.

Insane opinion and I can prove it(although I think you're trolling). Here are the career numbers of Larry Bird and Lebron James:

Bird - 24.3 PPG 10.0 RPG 6.3 APG 1.7 SPG 0.8 BPG

Lebron- 27.1 PPG 7.3 RPG 7.0 APG 1.6 SPG 0.8 BPG

Going by the numbers it is a valid argument on if Bird was better than Lebron. You also have to take into consideration the rules were much different when Bird played. Contact is minimal today, but not when Bird played. What could Bird average today in a league where physical defense doesn't exist like in the 80's? 

24 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Yeah, that's my take and I'm sticking to it.  Great player, did a lot of great things, but gets overrated because he's white.

#whiteguilt

dude was clutch as F and the best shooter until Curry, even Thompson showed up...a top 10 player...how many do you have ahead of him, Jacko?

39 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Can't really argue with that.

Larry made everyone better as well. I think Bird could have been a much more productive scorer if he wanted too.  Like Magic, he focused on the team and leadership much more than his own stats.

Watch the Laker v Celtic docs, Magic joked but time early in his career.

15 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

Insane opinion and I can prove it(although I think you're trolling). Here are the career numbers of Larry Bird and Lebron James:

Bird - 24.3 PPG 10.0 RPG 6.3 APG 1.7 SPG 0.8 BPG

Lebron- 27.1 PPG 7.3 RPG 7.0 APG 1.6 SPG 0.8 BPG

Going by the numbers it is a valid argument on if Bird was better than Lebron. You also have to take into consideration the rules were much different when Bird played. Contact is minimal today, but not when Bird played. What could Bird average today in a league where physical defense doesn't exist like in the 80's? 

lol

lets not start comparing eras. you should probably start looking up some facts before we pretend that one era is this and one era is that

scoring was pretty prevalent when the "bad boy pistons" were playing playing. the rules are a bit different, teams are way more efficient..... but lets not pretend like they don't play defense now. i guess if you're definition of defense is "physicality"... but that's a bit ignorant to assume the only way you can play defense is by being physical.

but i get it... this is a college board... older fans... "back in my day" logic.... blah blah.... just makes me laugh when the nuggets are scoring 130 a game and the pistons are allowing 100 points a game but somehow one era is "more defensive" and this era is "not defensive"

just enjoy the games, the comparisons are hilariously ill-informed more often than not