Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

OT: Journey north for the eclipse…

23 minutes ago, trl87 said:

Well I hope totality was cool because 98.5% is still pretty fvcking awesome

Totality was like another eclipse worth of awesome

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

21 minutes ago, trl87 said:

Well I hope totality was cool because 98.5% is still pretty fvcking awesome

I hope that 92% is awesome as well. I just looked through a co-workers eclipse glasses through the window, and we're about 1/4 covered at the moment. 

Walked out to the parking lot where the nerd brigade had a whole setup working; pinhole thingy; reverse binocular thingy; eclipse glasses thingy; dude with some sort of gizmo on his  cell phone thingy. Saw it at about 60%.  took all of 5 minutes of my life and zero dollars. That's good enough for me.

#holycrappeoplegetworkedupoverweirdshit

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

28 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I hope that 92% is awesome as well. I just looked through a co-workers eclipse glasses through the window, and we're about 1/4 covered at the moment. 

I was disappointed at 92%.....the light got a little weird feeling and the temp dropped a bit but was kind of unimpressed. 

tetons1.jpg

4 minutes ago, SLCPoke said:

I was disappointed at 92%.....the light got a little weird feeling and the temp dropped a bit but was kind of unimpressed. 

Yep, it was somewhat disappointing. But the massive temperature drop in a really really short period of time was really cool. 

I was really glad I was able to see this. What an awesome site that was, thank you Wyoming! 

IMG_1048.JPG

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

19 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Walked out to the parking lot where the nerd brigade had a whole setup working; pinhole thingy; reverse binocular thingy; eclipse glasses thingy; dude with some sort of gizmo on his  cell phone thingy. Saw it at about 60%.  took all of 5 minutes of my life and zero dollars. That's good enough for me.

#holycrappeoplegetworkedupoverweirdshit

Lol.

At totality it was like another world. Huge temperature drop, sunset every horizon, purple silver spectrum, the third contract making the "diamond" and the darkness just... Ending as it erupted, the eerie silence, crickets chirping, the antelope buck tried to bed down his does, shadows were all wrong, saw Venus high in the sky.

Saying you saw it at  60 percent is like going to a pee wee  football game and then wondering why the super bowl is a big deal

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

47 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Lol.

At totality it was like another world. Huge temperature drop, sunset every horizon, purple silver spectrum, the third contract making the "diamond" and the darkness just... Ending as it erupted, the eerie silence, crickets chirping, the antelope buck tried to bed down his does, shadows were all wrong, saw Venus high in the sky.

Saying you saw it at  60 percent is like going to a pee wee  football game and then wondering why the super bowl is a big deal

The dual sunset was amazing.  Temp dropped about 20 degrees.  And the light as it was getting dark was WEIRD.  Unlike any other light I have seen.  Hard to describe.  Not like twilight at all.....just....different.

There were about 500 people crammed onto this little pass above Idaho City.  As it started to get dark, everybody just got quiet, started speaking in hushed voices.  You could feel the tension in the air.  Then when totality hit.  BOOM.  We were all cheering and whistling for 30 seconds then just dead silence as we watched the last minute and a half or so.  

9 hours ago, happycamper said:

Lol.

Image result for you tell em

10 hours ago, retrofade said:

Yep, it was somewhat disappointing. But the massive temperature drop in a really really short period of time was really cool. 

That's true. Felt like it dropped 10 degrees in a matter of a couple of minutes. 

tetons1.jpg

Left Casper at 1PM and was going to take back roads through Laramie, but came across "multiple accidents on 487" warning sign.  Doubled back to i25 made it to Douglas where I waited for 2 hours to let mass break up and ended up taking Highway 85 down to Northern CO.  All in 13 f'ing hours to get to west Denver from Casper.  Could've NEVER imagined the the amount of cars trying to get back home.  Impact was literally unfathomable.  Never want to see another person again, but i thought the the total eclipse was quite the experience.