Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

POLL: Aside from monuments and statues, what do we do about art and literature?

Learn or Burn?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do we strike works of Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, Richard Wagner, 2 Live Crew, etc. from the public record or do we attempt to frame a constructive educational dialog around them in context? 

• BURN THAT SHIT. BURN, BURN, BURN!!!!!!
    • Attempt to frame a constructive educational dialog around them in context.
    • Other (explain below)

So along with the the question about monuments and statues that cause offense, what do you think we should do with art and literature that contains controversial content or that originated from an artist who held what is viewed today as unacceptable bigoted views? For instance, do we strike works of Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, Richard Wagner, 2 Live Crew, etc. from the public record or do we attempt to frame a constructive educational dialog around them in context? 

1608intellectua_00000000991.jpg

or

31077.jpg?1475161627

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Now this is a Grade A poll!

Thanks - I put a lot of thought into this one. Certainly portfolio worthy!

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Lol an educational dialogue about 2 live crew.

Don't judge until you see the syllabus. 

6 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Take this you authoritarian mofos!

+++++, those days were something else. Back when the left was the defender of free speech (or at least that's how I remember it!). I miss those days. The more they wanted to crack down on this kind of music, the more I wanted to buy it. 

9 minutes ago, renoskier said:

That's hilarious because of the audience.  What/where?

1990 or so, I think, because that is when that live album came out. But I'm not sure about where. Either way, it's fantastic.

Edit: Oh, it was Chicago. Not sure why those people were there, but the faces are priceless.

12 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

+++++, those days were something else. Back when the left was the defender of free speech (or at least that's how I remember it!). I miss those days. The more they wanted to crack down on this kind of music, the more I wanted to buy it. 

I loved 2 Live Crew back in the day. I actually went to see them in concert. One of the more interesting concerts I went to as a kid was Ice T and Body Count. Remember that?

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

The sampling is actually a pretty fun. I wonder if intentional?

Completely objective. 

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

I loved 2 Live Crew back in the day. I actually went to see them in concert. One of the more interesting concerts I went to as a kid was Ice T and Body Count. Remember that?

I definitely remember that. First, Ice T doing metal. Awesome. And Cop Killer was so +++++ing controversial. Man, I don't think people who are too young to remember that time can quite get a grasp of just how crazy the reaction was to that music.

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

1990 or so, I think, because that is when that live album came out. But I'm not sure about where. Either way, it's fantastic.

Edit: Oh, it was Chicago. Not sure why those people were there, but the faces are priceless.

Back when Tipper Gore was persecuting a perfectly good rap group. 

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Back when Tipper Gore was persecuting a perfectly good rap group. 

Yep. Tipper was the devil. There was a bunch of politician wives as I remember, both GOP and the Dems, generally being censorship douchebags.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yep. Tipper was the devil. There was a bunch of politician wives as I remember, both GOP and the Dems, generally being censorship douchebags.

Yep. I remember feeling like a total badass when I bought CDs with the parental advisory warning on the label! :D