Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Baskteball is off to Costa Rica

On 8/19/2017 at 11:54 PM, kingpotato said:

Nicaragua is way more hot than Costa Rica. Plus Nicaragua doesn't get near the tourism dollars so it's way more poor and waaay less air conditioning.

What are you basing that on? I've been to both....they have very similar climates. Most months, their average temperature is within a degree or two of each other most months. 

Just now, Slapdad said:

What are you basing that on? I've been to both....they have very similar climates. Most months, their average temperature is within a degree or two of each other most months. 

Basing it on being in both 4 months ago. Many of the backpackers coming through were planning on on staying in Nicaragua longer but couldn't stand the heat. That was the general consensus of everyone down there that had been to both. While I did forget to take my doppler radar with me, it was noticeably more hot. Whether that was humidity or whatever. It was hotter.

17 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

6 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Basing it on being in both 4 months ago. Many of the backpackers coming through were planning on on staying in Nicaragua longer but couldn't stand the heat. That was the general consensus of everyone down there that had been to both. While I did forget to take my doppler radar with me, it was noticeably more hot. Whether that was humidity or whatever. It was hotter.

Isn't much more of Costa Rica at higher elevation than Nicaragua? In Costa Rica folks spend a lot more time in higher/drier climates. 

This surprised me: highest point in Nicaragua 6909, in Costa Rica 12533!!

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Isn't much more of Costa Rica at higher elevation than Nicaragua? In Costa Rica folks spend a lot more time in higher/drier climates. 

I don't know. I really was just going off of how it was where I went. I didn't spend much time inland or in the mountains. I was mostly Pacific coast. It was the dry season in CR where they don't have a drop of rain for 4 months on that side of the country. Not sure if that makes a difference.

42 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Nicaragua has mountains, but mostly lies between the mountains that stretch from Guatemala through Honduras, then Nicaragua flattens out before mountains start up again through Costa Rica and Panama. Most of the tourism in Central America centers around the coastal cities unless you're going for Mayan ruins or hiking....otherwise its mostly surfing, diving and beaches. If you're at similar elevations and distance from the coast, the temperatures from Mexico to Panama are pretty similar.