Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

Wash Post Mountain West Preview - "Lopsided" MW

16 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Washoe gets all the run off from Lake Tahoe.  When California is dry, Washoe still waters their lawns.

If you look at a topographic map, the nevada side of the sierras is steep while the California side is gradual with much more area to it....California gets much more  runoff than Nevada/Washoe County does. Reno is in a desert and has had watering restrictions since the late 70's. 

6 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

In the fall of 2016 every lawn in Spanish Springs was extremely well watered; shocking to people from the Bay Area at the time.

If anything, that's because people have learned to grow and water lawns with much less water in Nevada. Reno had been in a desert forever and, as I said, there have been watering restrictions in place since at least the 70's. That's every year, not just during drought years. 

4 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

I have to disagree regarding Brennan v Tedford because I've probably watched more Cal football than you.  Tedford had run dominant offenses at Cal that weren't very sophisticated and I don't think he can recruit the offensive lineman that he could at Cal.  Plus, SDSU already does what Tedford would like to do way better.

Both Nevada and SJSU think upside which is a very 'Moneyball' way to hire a coach.  I think this reflects that both schools are located in tech industry dominant economies; if you haven't been to Washoe county since Tesla construction started then you don't realize how quickly northwestern Nevada is going the way of San Jose in the 80s.  The rationale for hiring for upside at low dollars is that the best case scenario is really to get a young coach who does a great job rather than an old coach who does a good job.  The financial consequences are also much lower hiring someone new to the position if you are looking for the biggest upside.

Downside hires are with the idea that the previous experience at a higher level will be applied with enough of the fire that got that person to the high place in the first place.  However, often the experience comes at a higher price.  If the person is too comfortable because they get a high dollar contract and they don't have the fire then the university really gets no benefit because at least a younger coach who is bad isn't expensive to fire.

Brennan grew up in Mountain View and is not going to be able to leave without success at SJSU.  He's got just as much to prove as any Spartan football player so if his team can pick up his work ethic then the Spartans are in a good place.  A spread offense compensates size with speed, especially in the hurry up Oregon style that Brennan is instituting. There are already a number of Spartans competed for SJSU's men's track team this spring.  Brennan is smart enough to have a style that isn't already being used in the division and compliments the track team.

Gonna tuck this one away for later...especially based on the follow-up of blithering ignorance shown below! This is gonna be a fun season...

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

Washoe gets all the run off from Lake Tahoe.  When California is dry, Washoe still waters their lawns.

2 hours ago, Slapdad said:

If you look at a topographic map, the nevada side of the sierras is steep while the California side is gradual with much more area to it....California gets much more  runoff than Nevada/Washoe County does. Reno is in a desert and has had watering restrictions since the late 70's. 

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

In the fall of 2016 every lawn in Spanish Springs was extremely well watered; shocking to people from the Bay Area at the time.

2 hours ago, Slapdad said:

If anything, that's because people have learned to grow and water lawns with much less water in Nevada. Reno had been in a desert forever and, as I said, there have been watering restrictions in place since at least the 70's. That's every year, not just during drought years. 

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

3 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

6,223 ft is natural rim. 6,229.1 is the outlet dam at Tahoe City. 6.1 feet of storage for Washoe County. While that is a crap ton of water -- excess is released to Prosser, Stampede and Boca Reservoirs. 

BTW, when the lake falls below 6,223 feet there is no runoff. Happens all the time. 

On 8/17/2017 at 10:35 AM, Bruininthebay said:

I have to disagree regarding Brennan v Tedford because I've probably watched more Cal football than you.  Tedford had run dominant offenses at Cal that weren't very sophisticated and I don't think he can recruit the offensive lineman that he could at Cal.  Plus, SDSU already does what Tedford would like to do way better.

Both Nevada and SJSU think upside which is a very 'Moneyball' way to hire a coach.  I think this reflects that both schools are located in tech industry dominant economies; if you haven't been to Washoe county since Tesla construction started then you don't realize how quickly northwestern Nevada is going the way of San Jose in the 80s.  The rationale for hiring for upside at low dollars is that the best case scenario is really to get a young coach who does a great job rather than an old coach who does a good job.  The financial consequences are also much lower hiring someone new to the position if you are looking for the biggest upside.

Downside hires are with the idea that the previous experience at a higher level will be applied with enough of the fire that got that person to the high place in the first place.  However, often the experience comes at a higher price.  If the person is too comfortable because they get a high dollar contract and they don't have the fire then the university really gets no benefit because at least a younger coach who is bad isn't expensive to fire.

Brennan grew up in Mountain View and is not going to be able to leave without success at SJSU.  He's got just as much to prove as any Spartan football player so if his team can pick up his work ethic then the Spartans are in a good place.  A spread offense compensates size with speed, especially in the hurry up Oregon style that Brennan is instituting. There are already a number of Spartans competed for SJSU's men's track team this spring.  Brennan is smart enough to have a style that isn't already being used in the division and compliments the track team.

Soooooo...about this post?

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

Just now, Slapdad said:

FSU fans digging up the archives these days. Haha!

I finally got one right, I am gonna enjoy it...

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

45 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I love that to-the-point post about Tahoe!

He's really got his shyte together...knows everything about nothing.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

8 hours ago, Dogs4Me said:

Soooooo...about this post?

I usually give Long winded posters the benefit of the doubt. I mean, if you invest that much time into posting, you must know something, right? This dude got everything wrong. Everything. Amazing. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

1 hour ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

I usually give Long winded posters the benefit of the doubt. I mean, if you invest that much time into posting, you must know something, right? This dude got everything wrong. Everything. Amazing. 

Yeah, he has been curiously absent too...

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

32 minutes ago, Dogs4Me said:

Yeah, he has been curiously absent too...

Can’t wait for the freshman, injury, and “wait until he gets his guys” excuses. Let’s just ignore getting blown out by 30+ points in every conference game while visibly regressing throughout the season. Standard first year coach excuses totally explain Brennan’s season. Just look at Tedford and how much he’s struggling with the “cupboard empty”..... oh, wait. He filled that shit with his nutsack. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg