Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

USA Today - Is the [AAC] better than the Mountain West? Deeper, perhaps, if not by much ... Maybe not in 2017.

2 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

So when USU play's @ Wisconsin on ESPN this season those numbers will show that USU is a great T.V. draw ?

Absolutely!  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

55 minutes ago, since1670 said:

TOTAL VIEWERS - 2016 REGULAR SEASON GAMES (Total national/rated games in parenthesis):
LISTED IN THE MILLIONS OF VIEWERS 

16.189 - Houston (9)

MWC
4.165 - Boise State (7)
2.917 - Hawaii (2)
2.733 - Nevada (2)
2.509 - Colorado State (6)
1.864 - Wyoming (4)
1.060 - Utah State (4)
0.857 - San Jose State (2)
0.782 - New Mexico (2)
0.763 - UNLV (1)
0.672 - Air Force (3)
0.435 - Fresno State (1)
0.199 - San Diego State (1)

There are many other metrics such as attendance, budgets, recruiting, populations, exposure,

basketball, academics, ... that indicates major differences.

Some of the MWC schools should be hoping to join the AAC.

And people wonder why SDSU fans want to leave this place. What a poorly thought out tv deal. It prevents the top performers outside of Boise from having too many national TV games. Ensuring the conference retains its "one-team" perception. 

As a result SDSU had all its games televised but only the Fri game against San Jose on ESPN2 was rateable during the regular season. 

18 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

The deal was negotiated without SDSU or Boise state included.  CBS paid for a ten team mountain west without either in it so CBS basically got SDSU's rights without paying anything which was the consequence of buying into Aresco's BS.  

Aresco or Hair?

SDSU wasn't leveraged because of Hirschman (the "Newman!" of SDSU presidents) buying into Aresco.  The Hair should get an incomplete for the last deal unless you evaluate it on the basis of what a ten team Mountain West is worth imho.

CBS has f-ed with SDSU's Fox RSN deal big time.  My impression is that the Hair is 'the wig' for CSU (both California State and Colorado State) right now in terms of leveraging TV rights and he seems to always be on the talking points that those schools would want.  Boise continues to speak for itself to a degree but they can't really say that going 'lone wolf' was as lucrative as sticking together has been for the typical FBS conference and the MW hasn't yet tried that approach.

Certainly Thompson benefits from the Pac 12 looking to keep more content for the Pac 12 network in their next negotiations because ESPN has a greater need to save a little money versus the Pac 12 in terms of Window 4 than it did the last time around too.  I also think that ESPN's speculated over the top service will need live content from the west coast too and the Pac 12 isn't inclined to give those rights up based on the speculation in the media (way too soon obviously).

I defer any and all analysis of MW vs AAC to @FormerFrog . The guy is astute in these matters, eh @Jack Bauer ?

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

" I'm willing to guess the bulk of Houston's viewers came from their game vs Oklahoma and their fans tuning into that game. "

5.7 mill came from the OU  game. UH almost matched the MWC without it.

IMO, there are MWC schools that could have significantly higher exposure and viewers if they were in the AAC.

2 hours ago, since1670 said:

TOTAL VIEWERS - 2016 REGULAR SEASON GAMES (Total national/rated games in parenthesis):

16.189 - Houston (9)

MWC
4.165 - Boise State (7)
2.917 - Hawaii (2)
2.733 - Nevada (2)
1.864 - Wyoming (4)
1.060 - Utah State (4)
0.782 - New Mexico (2)
0.763 - UNLV (1)
0.672 - Air Force (3)
0.435 - Fresno State (1)

There are many other metrics such as attendance, budgets, recruiting, populations, exposure,

http://noconow.co/2tN5RfE  At 2:00 MW commisioner the Hair Craig Thompson states on the record that current partners CBS and ESPN offered and the MW turned down a contract to license their media rights.

If the American's ratings are so great, why can't Aresco go on the record?  ESPN is part of the current offer to the MW and Thompson thinks that he'll end up with Disney.  This interview is pre-BAMTech acquisition by Disney too.

At least the MW can be assured that TV revenues will at least be the same.  The American does not yet have any assurance that they aren't Conference USA in broadcasters eyes despite the best Houston team in any sport since Phi Slama Jama

Guest Dr. Dre
1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

And people wonder why SDSU fans want to leave this place. 

We're SO gone. LOTS of public trashing of our current situation in the MWC

3 hours ago, since1670 said:

16.189 - Houston (9)

MWC
4.165 - Boise State (7)
2.917 - Hawaii (2)
2.733 - Nevada (2)
1.864 - Wyoming (4)
1.060 - Utah State (4)
0.782 - New Mexico (2)
0.763 - UNLV (1)
0.672 - Air Force (3)
0.435 - Fresno State (1)

Relevant Points:

1. That SDSU game with the 199 rating was at SDSU which obviously reduced the number of Aztecs who would have watched it.

2. That game was against San Jose State which obviously also reduced the number of fans who would have watched it.

3. Most significantly, it was broadcast on ESPNU. The following are the numbers for every Pea6 game broadcast on ESPNU in 2016:

Memphis-Too-lame 185

USF-Memphis 169

USF-Cincinnati 144

Navy-SMU 121

Cincinnati-UCF 112

Temple-UCF 100

Too-lame-Tulsa 69 (that one was particularly a blowjob)

Even Memphis-P5 Northwestern 145

https://www.statista.com/statistics/615796/college-football-tv-ratings/

4. You, sir, are a total dumbass.

Boom goes the dynamite.

58 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

I wonder if the PAC network could buy the MWC TV rights. 

I'm in favor of the Pac 12 not playing any FCS games.  Obviously that would benefit the Mountain West with more home and home agreements and would benefit the Pac 12 because there would be nine more games worth watching every year - probably five or six of them home games too.

The downside of owning your own conference network is you have to pay the bills.  Sorry but there is a single payment made for road games and we keep everything else.

53 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

I'm in favor of the Pac 12 not playing any FCS games.  Obviously that would benefit the Mountain West with more home and home agreements and would benefit the Pac 12 because there would be nine more games worth watching every year - probably five or six of them home games too.

The downside of owning your own conference network is you have to pay the bills.  Sorry but there is a single payment made for road games and we keep everything else.

Not just. It also would shut bspn out of the west. 

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

19 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

I wonder if the PAC network could buy the MWC TV rights. 

The PAC network should worry more about getting their own games on TV...

If you pay for Direct TV, you deserve to not get the Pac 12 network.  Dish is like half the price now and has a comparable DVR but everyone got it so long ago they are afraid to switch.  

I get Pac 12 network with my Sling TV bundle which is pretty good 

Wow, so Stadium is totally free Huh?  Watching the dollars roll in?