Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

KUDO's Baltimore...

Move them to a military museum or something.  That's where they belong. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

17 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Move them to a military museum or something.  That's where they belong. 

i am actually in favor of leaving them there, but putting up a new plaque

there's a slave auction block in downtown fredericksburg, va.  i think it's a very chilling and efficacious reminder of what once went down.  wonderful teaching opportunity for my children.

Just now, AndroidAggie said:

there's a slave auction block in downtown fredericksburg, va.  i think it's a very chilling and efficacious reminder of what once went down.  wonderful teaching opportunity for my children.

I really don't care about confederate statues one way or the other. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Meanwhile, here in the great state of North Carolina, the legislature passed a law a few years ago stating that they are the only ones that can approve the removal of those statues. 

:facepalm: 

14 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

There's been some discussion in Richmond VA with the same thought, add historical context etc.

I've seen that auction block too, it is quite chilling.

15 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

I care about preserving history.  If we've got to take it down, then it does definitely belong in a museum.

I think some of these statues were cast by famous artists, so an argument could be made that artistic value alone is worth keeping them somewhere.

48 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I don't know how to copy and paste on my phone but I love that last night, Baltimore guickly and rather quietly removed all of their statues and monuments honoring Confederate traitors and losers.

#meltthemdown 

I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm generally against memorials anyway ... but just curious if you'd be in support of removing this one as well, being that the perp incarcerated hundreds of thousands of Asian Americans? 

fdr-memorial-statue-credit-stefan-fussan

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

8 minutes ago, SFtoVA said:

There's been some discussion in Richmond VA with the same thought, add historical context etc.

I took a tour in the Confederate White House in Richmond.  It even had a flush toilet and the slaves had to carry away the flushings in a bucket below.  I wonder what they'll do with that building now.

Just now, retrofade said:

Yep, and that lady was arrested yesterday... a couple of others as well.

I actually walked by that very statue two weeks ago when my wife and I were in downtown for dinner.

I doubt she's beating herself up too much over her arrest. Meanwhile, that statue is gone.

Just now, aztech said:

I took a tour in the Confederate White House in Richmond.  I wonder what they'll do with that now.

Nothing would be my guess. I think that's privately owned, not public property.

Being a west coast native growing up all I knew of the Civil War was what I read about. After taking a trip to the east coast for the first time years ago, specifically, Charleston, South Carolina, gave me a new angle on the war. Seeing an actual slave auction site brought home the reality of what happened. I don't think these things should go away. The same goes for concentration camps in Germany and Poland. They are a living reminder of mans inhumanity to man and what can happen if we allow government to go way too far. History is sometimes good and sometimes bad. You can't erase what you don't like. You use it as a reminder to not let it happen again.

Our ugly past with slavery should remain visible and not be forgotten. However, statues of lee and stonewall Jackson and the like absolutely do not belong in front of public buildings, particularly courthouses. Imagine being black and accused of a crime you didn't commit. You go to have your day in court and prove your innocence, and in front of the courthouse is a statue of a man who killed people to keep your ancestors in chains. You're supposed to marvel at the wonderful historical monument before an all-white prosecution team tries to prove to the all-white jury that you're a criminal? Come the hell on. Put them in a museum in an exhibit called "Traitorous Goons" and be done with it.

1 minute ago, Rebelbacker said:

Being a west coast native growing up all I knew of the Civil War was what I read about. After taking a trip to the east coast for the first time years ago, specifically, Charleston, South Carolina, gave me a new angle on the war. Seeing an actual slave auction site brought home the reality of what happened. I don't think these things should go away. The same goes for concentration camps in Germany and Poland. They are a living reminder of mans inhumanity to man and what can happen if we allow government to go way too far. History is sometimes good and sometimes bad. You can't erase what you don't like. You use it as a reminder to not let it happen again.

I don't think anyone is trying to "erase" anything. There's a difference between memorials, historic locations (concentration camps, Gettysburg, Ft. Sumter, etc), and monuments dedicated to individuals on public property, often with the purpose to intimidate or scare minorities in the area.

I would actually be pretty down with these monuments being moved to more appropriate locations where they can be used in context without the hero-worship association.

14 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm generally against memorials anyway ... but just curious if you'd be in support of removing this one as well, being that the perp incarcerated hundreds of thousands of Asian Americans? 

There's no way that tiny dog is guilty of that. How could he even pull that off? ;)

11 minutes ago, SFtoVA said:

I don't think anyone is trying to "erase" anything. There's a difference between memorials, historic locations (concentration camps, Gettysburg, Ft. Sumter, etc), and monuments dedicated to individuals on public property, often with the purpose to intimidate or scare minorities in the area.

I would actually be pretty down with these monuments being moved to more appropriate locations where they can be used in context without the hero-worship association.

This is my thought. I don't see anyone saying anything about erasing history and scrubbing historic sites or anything like that except from the people protesting the removal of these statues(well there may be a small misguided minority that would like to but not the vast majority of people wanting the monuments taken down). There is a difference between civil war battle sites/slave auction sites/graveyards/museums/other historic stes and majestic monuments erected to honor the leaders of the confederacy. Move the statues into a museum and be done with it and history is preserved.

33 minutes ago, SFtoVA said:

that would be amazing, (and I think unlikely),  for Richmond to pull off.

Monument Ave has about 10 HUGE statues of Confederate generals and Jeff Davis.

Also have one there of native son Arthur Ashe.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

12 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Our ugly past with slavery should remain visible and not be forgotten. However, statues of lee and stonewall Jackson and the like absolutely do not belong in front of public buildings, particularly courthouses. Imagine being black and accused of a crime you didn't commit. You go to have your day in court and prove your innocence, and in front of the courthouse is a statue of a man who killed people to keep your ancestors in chains. You're supposed to marvel at the wonderful historical monument before an all-white prosecution team tries to prove to the all-white jury that you're a criminal? Come the hell on. Put them in a museum in an exhibit called "Traitorous Goons" and be done with it.

Really? "All white prosecution team and jury"? Are all defense attorneys minorities for minority defendants or are there some white people that aren't racist that can defend a minority too?

As for a statue does anyone really think that deeply about a statue outside buildings? When I see a statue of FDR I don't say there is the racist guy that interned Japanese-Americans for no good reason. I don't think about it because a statue has no bearing on my life today. It is a remembrance of history.