Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Rethinking the War on Salt

Just now, Boise fan said:

I don't mind salt, but that pepper - it's gotta go! 

Salt N Pepa

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

25 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Japanese cuisine is incredibly high in salt, the Japanese enjoy very high longevity and low obesity rates. Pretty sure salt is only a problem when someone already has a bunch of other health issues.

Not only is salt not a problem, it's a problem when you're deficient in it.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2269368-rethinking-the-war-on-salt/

Not sure that anyone cares, but it annoys me when people say that salt is bad.

Processed carbohydrates and consuming meat from sick animals, that is a problem. Too much salt just adds to the problem or "pours salt in the wound" when you are doing the other two. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, Boise fan said:

I don't mind salt, but that pepper - it's gotta go! 

Some serious racial undertones in this post.

I kid, I kid ... ;) 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Japanese cuisine is incredibly high in salt, yet the Japanese enjoy very high longevity and low obesity rates. Pretty sure salt is only a problem when someone already has a bunch of other health issues.

Doesn't eating so much seafood offset the salt intake?  For example fish in itself is healthy for you, but they serve it with soy sauce.

1 hour ago, aztech said:

Doesn't eating so much seafood offset the salt intake?  For example fish in itself is healthy for you, but they serve it with soy sauce.

I don't know about offset, but traditional Japanese diet is very healthy, and the seafood certainly contributes. Some of the typical basic ingredients like soy sauce, mirin, dashi etc. are high in sodium and part of pretty much any meal. I'm no nutritionist, but I'd bet the average Japanese person has reached the FDA recommended daily teaspoon of salt by lunchtime. ;) 

While we're talking of nutritional enemies: Japanese cuisine is low in fat, red meat, and dairy products but relatively high in carbs. French cuisine is high in fat, red meat, and dairy products. Both countries consume ample amounts of alcohol. Both countries enjoy long lifespans. I think the bottom line is as simple as: Don't eat a ton of processed shit, and don't eat massive portions. (Also eat fish and veggies.)

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

I don't know about offset, but traditional Japanese diet is very healthy, and the seafood certainly contributes. Some of the typical basic ingredients like soy sauce, mirin, dashi etc. are high in sodium and part of pretty much any meal. I'm no nutritionist, but I'd bet the average Japanese person has reached the FDA recommended daily teaspoon of salt by lunchtime. ;) 

While we're talking of nutritional enemies: Japanese cuisine is low in fat, red meat, and dairy products but relatively high in carbs. French cuisine is high in fat, red meat, and dairy products. Both countries consume ample amounts of alcohol. Both countries enjoy long lifespans. I think the bottom line is as simple as: Don't eat a ton of processed shit, and don't eat massive portions. (Also eat fish and veggies.)

Yep. Eat real food (mostly plants) and avoid stuff that is sold with more than two/three ingredients if you can. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 8/16/2017 at 6:36 PM, ph90702 said:

By salt, in case anyone didn't already know, I'm talking about real salt.  Not table salt, which is bleached and has a ton of nasty chemicals.

Am I the only one who uses Redmond Real Salt?

Potassium chloride is "real salt".   You should eat a handful of that.

Don't take above comment seriously.  I am not responsible for stupid people who eat "real salt".

16 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Potassium chloride is "real salt".   You should eat a handful of that.

Don't take above comment seriously.  I am not responsible for stupid people who eat "real salt".

Why would you eat fertilizer?

3 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

What you can eat and can't eat seems to change every couple of years.  I think the best advice is there is no bad food, just bad quantities.

That's not true.  Nobody has ever said that something like Cheetos are good for you.  Also, it's the establishment who keeps changing their views.  Principles based people, like the paleors, have been very consistent in their message.  It's no different than politics.

On 8/16/2017 at 6:36 PM, ph90702 said:

By salt, in case anyone didn't already know, I'm talking about real salt.  Not table salt, which is bleached and has a ton of nasty chemicals.

Am I the only one who uses Redmond Real Salt?

Eh. The stuff that's added to table salt is pretty harmless. In many regions of the world, you definitely want iodized salt. Iodine deficiency is no fun.

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

That's not true.  Nobody has ever said that something like Cheetos are good for you.  Also, it's the establishment who keeps changing their views.  Principles based people, like the paleors, have been very consistent in their message.  It's no different than politics.

Unless Cheetos are all you have to eat, in which case Cheetos are very good for you.

6 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Eh. The stuff that's added to table salt is pretty harmless. In many regions of the world, you definitely want iodized salt. Iodine deficiency is no fun.

That's why they added iodine to salt in the US.  Around WW1, there were a lot of men with iodine deficiency.  However, you can get iodine from other foods.  Seafood, sea and green vegetables, potatoes, and eggs are good sources.