Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: Sophisticated men drink cocktails

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Yeah, I cant imagine making a 'cocktail' with any of these... I must be a rube.

Whiskies800.jpg

I don't like Scotch but I agree. Drink the good stuff neat or on the rocks. For mixed drinks, especially on the sweet side, save your money. Go basic with Seagrams or Beam; Costco vodka is great for mixing. 

3 hours ago, fearthefumanchu said:

Exquisite 

Thank you. The Aberlour 16 is the most recent add - goddamn nectar des dieux it is. Smooth, like Keith Stone. 

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

I don't like Scotch but I agree. Drink the good stuff neat or on the rocks. For mixed drinks, especially on the sweet side, save your money. Go basic with Seagrams or Beam; Costco vodka is great for mixing. 

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

BTW, nice statue. 

I've gotten to the point where if I'm out, I'll usually order whatever is available neat - I'm just as content to drink Jameson neat as I am a good scotch. And I couldn't agree more on the Kirkland products (excluding their premixed). Both the French and the American 6x distilled vodkas are permanent fixtures in the cabinet.

And thank you re: the statue. It's late Sukhothai, ca. late 14th-early 15th C. The two smaller flanking bronzes are actually a little older - that Kinnari to the right is rarer than hen's teeth. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I wish the costco's here carried liquor. I recently went to vegas, and bought several 1.75L of bourbon and a 750 of Lagavulin, all for about half of what you can buy them for here.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

3 minutes ago, Mano said:

I wish the costco's here carried liquor. I recently went to vegas, and bought several 1.75L of bourbon and a 750 of Lagavulin, all for about half of what you can buy them for here.

What was the Lagavulin priced at in Vegas? It was $55 at my local Costco, but they've recently jacked it up to $68ish. 

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

What was the Lagavulin priced at in Vegas? It was $55 at my local Costco, but they've recently jacked it up to $68ish. 

I believe it was 55, goes for over 90 here. Bullit and Larceny Bourbon and Crown Royal were all under 35 for 1.75L. Spent just under $200 for what would have cost almost $400 here.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

18 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Thank you. The Aberlour 16 is the most recent add - goddamn nectar des dieux it is. Smooth, like Keith Stone. 

I've gotten to the point where if I'm out, I'll usually order whatever is available neat - I'm just as content to drink Jameson neat as I am a good scotch. And I couldn't agree more on the Kirkland products (excluding their premixed). Both the French and the American 6x distilled vodkas are permanent fixtures in the cabinet.

And thank you re: the statue. It's late Sukhothai, ca. late 14th-early 15th C. The two smaller flanking bronzes are actually a little older - that Kinnari to the right is rarer than hen's teeth. 

Dang, those are older than Dre's mom. Nice.

35 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I noticed the same at ours. Was in the low 50s now high 60s. 

I really need to spend more time reading about how difficult it is for Mano, et al, to score decent spirits at decent prices - when I saw that $13 bump at Costco, I stopped at the 'Suggestion table' on the way out to write an angry note in red ink...

On 8/17/2017 at 10:04 AM, Slapdad said:

SF drinks more Fernet per capita, but it's Argentina's national drink (with coke, not a shot like in SF). It has enjoyed a cult-like resurgence in SF the past 20 years.....some hipster movement with bartenders is to blame. It tastes like cough syrup.

It's awful. But it gets you drunk

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

13 hours ago, Mano said:

I believe it was 55, goes for over 90 here. Bullit and Larceny Bourbon and Crown Royal were all under 35 for 1.75L. Spent just under $200 for what would have cost almost $400 here.

Lagavulin 16 goes for $100 here in NC, $90 when it's "on sale". Meanwhile I picked up two bottles for $100 at Costco when I was in California over Thanksgiving last years.