Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: Sophisticated men drink cocktails

Don't get me wrong, I love beer but nothing puts me in a good mood like a cocktail. Recently I've been drinking caipirinhas. I also appreciate a good martini (a real one) as well as a Paris Pernod. What about you all, any preferred cocktails? @Wyovanian and @VandalPride97, you both seem to be men of refined sophistication. 

Caipirinha 

caipirinha-072816.jpg

Vesper Martini 

Dukes_vespamartini.jpg?format=1500w

Pernod of Paris

20110616-pernod.jpg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I am mainly a beer guy but if I'm drinking liquor I'm having a scotch or an old fashioned. An old fashioned can vary so much from place to place and different people make them different ways but if you get a good one they are hard to beat. Need the fancy maraschino cherries(Luxardo). If I'm drinking during the day I enjoy a Moscow Mule(even though I prefer them with Rye Whiskey instead of Vodka so that probably isn't considered a Moscow mule.

I really enjoy caipirinhas as well but never have them very often. I do have a bottle of Cacha at home though so maybe I need to make myself one more often.

Purple Jesus

Grape Koolaid and Everclear

Drink it and you'll see God.

...on the rocks, with one of those little umbrellas if you're going to be a snob about it.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 minutes ago, phxpoke said:

You whiskey drinkers should give Wyoming Whiskey a try. Very smooth.

Wyomingwhiskey.com

I've tried it.  It's not for me.  If you want something really smooth try Glen Moray scotch.  For me it's probably the smoothest of all scotch whiskeys I've tried.

If you guys are ever in Casper, hit up Backwards Distillery. They have cocktails galore in a speakeasy-style bar, all using their own liquors. Capirinhas, moscow mules, old fashioneds...

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I love a good caipirinha....likewise with a mojito....in the summer. Not always easy to find cachaca, but the bigger liquor stores have it. I also like whiskey/bourbon/scotch, either neat or on the rocks, and have been drinking Firestone and Robertson whiskey lately. Gin & tonic and martini's (dirty and otherwise) are a favorite too. A few years ago, a buddy met me in a bar and I was drinking a gin (Sipsmith) & tonic and he remarked "nice drink ma'am". I looked at him with his vodka cranberry and laughed as did the bartender, who let him know that a gin and tonic was exponentially more masculine than a vodka cranberry. That started what became one of the best bar discussions ever. The entire bar got involved as people debated the manliness of each of the major liquors (Scotch/whiskey/bourbon, Vodka, Gin, Rum and tequila). 

Why do i get the feeling hipsters are about to ruin booze the same way the ruined beer.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

22 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Why do i get the feeling hipsters are about to ruin booze the same way the ruined beer.

Hmm...

We're getting more local beers and of better quality than before. We are getting more local liquors and of better quality than before. It seems like instead of "ruining" anything by hipsters, it's Xer capitalists who are bringing our alcohol industry slowly, painfully, back to where it was before prohibition, when the Lost Generation ruined booze and beer both.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

34 minutes ago, FSpoopypants said:

I prefer Highland or Speyside scotch. My go-to is Macallan. If you're new to scotch or averse to peat, try Aberlour 12. Very mild and almost sweet.

I like McCallan. For scotch, my current go to is Balvenie, Lagavulin when I feel like spending a bit more. Both peatier than the McCallan, especially the Lagavulin, which is an Islay.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

6 minutes ago, Mano said:

I like McCallan. For scotch, my current go to is Balvenie, Lagavulin when I feel like spending a bit more. Both peatier than the McCallan, especially the Lagavulin, which is an Islay.

I'm slowly learning to appreciate the peat flavor. I'll pickup a bottle of the Balvenie next time I'm at Bevmo and give it a try.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love beer but nothing puts me in a good mood like a cocktail. Recently I've been drinking caipirinhas. I also appreciate a good martini (a real one) as well as a Paris Pernod. What about you all, any preferred cocktails? @Wyovanian and @VandalPride97, you both seem to be men of refined sophistication. 

Caipirinha 

caipirinha-072816.jpg

Vesper Martini 

Dukes_vespamartini.jpg?format=1500w

Pernod of Paris

20110616-pernod.jpg

That looks like a Manhattan with an orange rind rather than a Vesper, but all good choices.

I make a house grenadine (pomegranate syrup) at my bar that I use for a Ward 8 cocktail. Egg white dry shake, fresh lemon juice, fresh orange juice, grenadine, and 2 oz of bourbon. Delicious for anyone who likes a good whiskey cocktail. But my go-to will always be an old fashioned, usually with Buffalo Trace bourbon.

I think, therefore I'm.

20 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

That looks like a Manhattan with an orange rind rather than a Vesper, but all good choices.

I make a house grenadine (pomegranate syrup) at my bar that I use for a Ward 8 cocktail. Egg white dry shake, fresh lemon juice, fresh orange juice, grenadine, and 2 oz of bourbon. Delicious for anyone who likes a good whiskey cocktail. But my go-to will always be an old fashioned, usually with Buffalo Trace bourbon.

That martini sir, is from Duke's Bar  in London.

https://www.dukeshotel.com/dukes-bar/

https://londonunveiled.com/2015/10/24/dukes-bar/

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I’m a purist.  I usually go with a vodka martini or a bourbon.  If I’m having a cocktail, it’s usually an old fashioned or a Campari with soda.  If I’m in the tropics, I go with a mojito or some foo-foo drink I wouldn’t be caught dead with in the states.

I also make limoncello, which is damn good after a big meal.  Sometimes, I'll mix it with some soda for a light summer drink.