Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

MWC FB Coaches Rankings

21 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

There have been plenty of first year QB's that produced right away. Your QB, would be an example. Rypien another. Kellen went undefeated regular season his first year. It's not that rare. 

Our QB had thrown passes in meaningful games before he became the starter.  It's not the same.  It is very rare.

1 minute ago, k5james said:

You also padded it with 63 against a FCS team and 69 in a multiple overtime game...

So we have two examples of underperforming, two examples of overperforming. Sounds like a legit average to me?

16 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

There have been plenty of first year QB's that produced right away. Your QB, would be an example. Rypien another. Kellen went undefeated regular season his first year. It's not that rare. 

It is rare at a program like UNLV, though. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

Dude, a QB who can execute a forward pass is rare at UNLV lol. A QB of the pedigree of an Armani Rogers is a once in a century type rarity at UNLV.

2 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

It's very rare for a red shirt or true freshman to come in and lead a high powered offense at ANY program not just UNLV.

36 minutes ago, k5james said:

It's very rare for a red shirt or true freshman to come in and lead a high powered offense at ANY program not just UNLV.

Kellen Moore, Brett Rypien, Jake Browning, Josh Rosen, Chuckie Keaton. That's just recently. And it doesn't take much to put up numbers against the very weak defenses in the MW. 

2 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Kellen Moore, Brett Rypien, Jake Browning, Josh Rosen, Chuckie Keaton. That's just recently. And it doesn't take much to put up numbers against the very weak defenses in the MW

That's the key. Outside of SDSU, there isn't a team in the West that has a defense. I mean AT ALL. If Armani and our receivers can stay healthy and we get a center who doesn't F up the exchange (apparently that's a thing right now), I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Armani put up a good year after a few games to settle in.

That said, I'm not gonna be at all surprised if he has a few WTF games. However, I do think he will have a few games where he looks like one of the best QB's in the MWC. I think with our run game, he isn't going to be asked to do too much this season. Just enough to keep the defense honest.

15 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Mac did a great job of turning the culture of CSU FB around, but he was a below average recruiter.  Prior to Mac, Fairchild was a terrible coach but an A+ recruiter.  Mac made his bones on Fair's recruits, and then left Bobo a pretty empty cupboard.  Especially on defense.

So we're criticizing a guy who's learning to be a HC, and doing it without the necessary talent.  Yet, he hasn't missed a bowl game yet.  If you doubt my comments regarding talent, take a look at how young our starters are at so many positions.  Take a look at how many freshmen have played in each year of Bobo's tenure.

Yes, Will Friend needs to man up and learn to call plays.  From all public reports Bobo is calling them because Friend doesn't want the duty, not because Bobo won't delegate it.  Friend has a hell of an offense, he needs to start running it.  Still, it's hardly a disaster.

Bobo at 5th in the conference?  I'm OK with that.  He's better than that IMO, but he hasn't proven it yet.  Hopefully this year.

I didn't know that about Friend. I hadn't seen those reports, but if so, then I totally agree with you that he needs to step up and start calling plays. 

I think Bobo is doing a really decent job with the recruits he's bringing in and those that are even giving CSU looks. 

As to the empty cupboard, I agree and that's why I'm using this year as my year to gauge Bobo's ability to manage (not coach) a team. He's got to get them ready for the big games as well as the cupcakes we should win. He's got to instill a killer instinct in the team, one that doesn't let off the gas and plays hard every single down. He's got to manage the game itself and not waste plays like he's done in the past. He's got players he's brought in and feels he can win with so let's see what he can do.

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

That's how most coaches are fired. After a good run the program had grown stale and had started regressing. That's the real reason. 

Just:stop: Rocky went 4-8 in his final season but the year before he was 9-4 with UNM's first bowl win ever.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

That's the key. Outside of SDSU, there isn't a team in the West that has a defense. I mean AT ALL. If Armani and our receivers can stay healthy and we get a center who doesn't F up the exchange (apparently that's a thing right now), I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Armani put up a good year after a few games to settle in.

That said, I'm not gonna be at all surprised if he has a few WTF games. However, I do think he will have a few games where he looks like one of the best QB's in the MWC. I think with our run game, he isn't going to be asked to do too much this season. Just enough to keep the defense honest.

This is blasphemy.  Josh Allen is the top 4 quarterbacks in the MWC. Rogers can only hope and pray he can hold a candle to Josh Allen.

Just now, HoosierRebel said:

This is blasphemy.  Josh Allen is the top 4 quarterbacks in the MWC. Rogers can only hope and pray he can hold a candle to Josh Allen.

I did say "one of." His Excellency, Josh Allen, will always BE the best.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I'll let you go to the trouble to identify the guilty but some of us then warned that DeRuyter might have mortgaged the future by bringing in such a large amount of JC transfers.

It was't even that. He was an absolutely putrid coach. Worst I've ever seen, and it isnt close.

This coming from a Raiders fan. 

Kellen Moore, Brett Rypien, Jake Browning, Josh Rosen, Chuckie Keaton. That's just recently. And it doesn't take much to put up numbers against the very weak defenses in the MW. 

Tell that to UNLV's mega offense.

They scored 7, 10, 24, 41 and 45 vs the weak west.

37 minutes ago, k5james said:

Tell that to UNLV's mega offense.

They scored 7, 10, 24, 41 and 45 vs the weak west.

Even with that, they had the 3rd best offense in the West, return more than the two ahead of them, and add some Key pieces. One of which has already produced.

That's why it's possible that if Rodgers is decent (not great), they might have the best offense considering that even with some very subpar games and massive QB struggles they weren't far from that last season. 

Even with that, they had the 3rd best offense in the West, return more than the two ahead of them, and add some Key pieces. One of which has already produced.

That's why it's possible that if Rodgers is decent (not great), they might have the best offense considering that even with some very subpar games and massive QB struggles they weren't far from that last season. 

Oops, my bad. They were actually the 2nd best in the conference last year. My apologies.

Edit: division that should read. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Dre said:

Gotta love it when a complete moron does your work for you. 

@LaradiseCowboy putting his two-digit IQ on full display for all to see. REALLY giving chimps like @GoState99755 and @Nevada Convert a run for their money as head simpleton around here

I'm curious, when you have a chance clear any obstructions from your moms mouth, I would be curious to know what she thinks about your last post.

kat.jpg

18 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Oops, my bad. They were actually the 2nd best in the conference last year. My apologies. 

Which is pretty incredible considering much of that was done with 2 backup QB's and no starting WR's. Talk about an indictment on the West Division defenses.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

Which is pretty incredible considering much of that was done with 2 backup QB's and no starting WR's. Talk about an indictment on the West Division defenses.

That was supposed to say division, but yeah, their running game was pretty potent.