Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

MWC FB Coaches Rankings

58 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I think Bohl gets too much credit for having one good season. He took over a program that had been to two Bowl games in the last five years and the year he took over they were 1 game below .500. Three years after he took over they are now one game over .500, and he should be at the top of the list for that?

Ya know, Joe Glenn was a highly successful D-II and1-AA coach and had a much tougher rebuilding job (5 total wins the three years prior and no bowl games for 11 years) and led the Pokes to a Bowl win against UCLA in his 2nd year before the wheels falling back off.

Why don't we let this play out a little bit before we annoint Bohl the savior of anything.

This whole list is a short-term memory grouping. Bob Davie and Jeff Tedford have both had monumentally more FBS success than Craig Bohl. 

Bohl and Glenn have had remarkably similar first 3 seasons (wins per season) in Laramie. And you are correct that Glenn had a MUCH bigger/more difficult rebuild than Bohl. While all of the credit in the world should go to Bohl for landing Josh Allen (who still have a lot more to prove than most Cowboy fans will admit), I am curious if he can pull another good quarterback into Laramie after Allen.

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

3 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

This is a good point. Once upon a time Wells won MW coach of the year. Sanchez has won 7 games in two years at UNLV. 

Yeah, Sanchez hasn't done anything yet. Could change this year. They are gunna have a very good offense and play in the West where anyone can be 2nd best. 

2 minutes ago, Pokez said:

Bohl and Glenn have had remarkably similar first 3 seasons (wins per season) in Laramie. And you are correct that Glenn had a MUCH bigger/more difficult rebuild than Bohl. While all of the credit in the world should go to Bohl for landing Josh Allen (who still have a lot more to prove than most Cowboy fans will admit), I am curious if he can pull another good quarterback into Laramie after Allen.

Yeah, often times coaches get too much credit when they have success because they happen to land a good QB. In college that can mask a lot of deficiencies. It's not easy to find an early entry 1st round draft pick with no offers.

The Poke defense still has a long ways to go. Three years in, they are still one of the worst in the conference and has gotten worse every year since Bohl's first year. I keep hearing that they'll be better because "insert reason here*, but he should be judged by what he has actually done and not what he might do in the future. 

6 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, Sanchez hasn't done anything yet. Could change this year. They are gunna have a very good offense and play in the West where anyone can be 2nd best. 

Hell, they finished third last year in the West. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

I don't get the love people have for Bobo.  I mean he lost to Polian in the nobody gives a shit about us Bowl Game and lost because he mismanaged your final drive.  He just seems like an average coach.  With your new stadium you guys should be winning the SEC Mountain division. That should make recruiting to CSU easy and you're a good school too.  No reason you can't compete for the MWC championship every year (don't tell @BSUTOP25 I said all that). 

Bobo, in my opinion, is a bad hire. A below average head coach. He is a above average offensive coach in my opinion. His offenses have been decent at Georgia and CSU. JMac is a very good coach. The results speak for themselves. I will give him this year. An above average coach can easily win 10 games in this conference.

34 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, often times coaches get too much credit when they have success because they happen to land a good QB. In college that can mask a lot of deficiencies. It's not easy to find an early entry 1st round draft pick with no offers.

The Poke defense still has a long ways to go. Three years in, they are still one of the worst in the conference and has gotten worse every year since Bohl's first year. I keep hearing that they'll be better because "insert reason here*, but he should be judged by what he has actually done and not what he might do in the future. 

Bohl is 3-15 on the road. More than anything, that has to change quickly.

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

This is a good point. Once upon a time Wells won MW coach of the year. Sanchez has won 7 games in two years at UNLV. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Wells inherited a TON more than Sanchez did. And Sanchez was in such a hole when he started, the entire program (not just what you see on the field) has had to be overhauled. As rebel fans, we haven't expected much in his first couple of years, but I think you'll see an uptick on the field. I just hate that he kept Baer, although from what it sounds like, the defense has been a nice surprise in practice. We'll see what happens. 

5 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Wells inherited a TON more than Sanchez did. And Sanchez was in such a hole when he started, the entire program (not just what you see on the field) has had to be overhauled. As rebel fans, we haven't expected much in his first couple of years, but I think you'll see an uptick on the field. I just hate that he kept Baer, although from what it sounds like, the defense has been a nice surprise in practice. We'll see what happens. 

Wells isn't good, so that is a bad comparison. People were anointing him after his first two seasons and I kept saying "let it play out, let's see how he does when those NFL caliber LBs he inherited graduate." This will be his last year of he finishes like last year. My guess is he'll do just enough to get another year, but they'll be looking for another coach soon. 

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

I don't get the love people have for Bobo.  I mean he lost to Polian in the nobody gives a shit about us Bowl Game and lost because he mismanaged your final drive.  He just seems like an average coach.  With your new stadium you guys should be winning the SEC Mountain division. That should make recruiting to CSU easy and you're a good school too.  No reason you can't compete for the MWC championship every year (don't tell @BSUTOP25 I said all that). 

Not much love from me, and I agree with where you have him ranked (maybe one up). As a head coach that calls plays he's been a mess. I'm still holding out hope that he realizes what Mac did when he was at CSU--either be a play caller and go back to being a coordinator or be the head coach. CSU did much better when Mac let the OC and DC handle the plays and he managed them. That said, Bobo would have to leave the DC reins to Marty English (which he does to a large degree now since Bobo handles the offense). I'd like to see what Friend can do as the primary play caller. Another thread asked who could stop the CSU offense: My answer--Bobo's play calling. I've told friends that for me, this is Bobo's season to prove himself.

However, Bobo seems to be attracting some decent prospects who are, at the least, giving CSU 2nd looks during recruiting. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Wells isn't good, so that is a bad comparison. People were anointing him after his first two seasons and I kept saying "let it play out, let's see how he does when those NFL caliber LBs he inherited graduate." This will be his last year of he finishes like last year. My guess is he'll do just enough to get another year, but they'll be looking for another coach soon. 

Wells is by no means a good coach, IMO. Last year USU lost 4 games that were within one score. I get bad teams lose the close ones and good teams win the close ones, but he just as easily could've won 6 last year. I have a little hope because he has turned complete control of the offense over instead of calling his four vertical play every time. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Just now, AKram said:

Not much love from me, and I agree with where you have him ranked (maybe one up). As a head coach that calls plays he's been a mess. I'm still holding out hope that he realizes what Mac did when he was at CSU--either be a play caller and go back to being a coordinator or be the head coach. CSU did much better when Mac let the OC and DC handle the plays and he managed them. That said, Bobo would have to leave the DC reins to Marty English (which he does to a large degree now since Bobo handles the offense). I'd like to see what Friend can do as the primary play caller. Another thread asked who could stop the CSU offense: My answer--Bobo's play calling. I've told friends that for me, this is Bobo's season to prove himself.

However, Bobo seems to be attracting some decent prospects who are, at the least, giving CSU 2nd looks during recruiting. 

This is Wells problem. He's been calling plays for years and it has cost dearly. 

Just now, madmartigan said:

Wells is by no means a good coach, IMO. Last year USU lost 4 games that were within one score. I get bad teams lose the close ones and good teams win the close ones, but he just as easily could've won 6 last year. I have a little hope because he has turned complete control of the offense over instead of calling his four vertical play every time. 

That's a little true about coaching, but there is also randomness and luck involved. Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way and other times it bounces your way more than it should. Those things tend to even out over time. Maybe not 50/50, but the best coach in the world isn't going to win every close game and the worst isn't going to lose every one either. 

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

This is a pretty big year for Sanchez. I think quality depth is still the biggest issue. However, if the team can avoid injury, I do think they could bowl. The odds of that happening are slim though.

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

This is a pretty big year for Sanchez. I think quality depth is still the biggest issue. However, if the team can avoid injury, I do think they could bowl. The odds of that happening are slim though.

If Armani Rodgers lives up to his billing they could have the best offense in the West division. The problem is their defense could very well end up being the worst in the conference. That might be alright, though. Wyoming and Hawaii had successful seasons with that combination last year. 

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

If Armani Rodgers lives up to his billing they could have the best offense in the West division. The problem is their defense could very well end up being the worst in the conference. That might be alright, though. Wyoming and Hawaii had successful seasons with that combination last year. 

The good news about the defense is there isn't much drop off between the ones and twos. I actually think our defense will be the best yet under Sanchez. This was the side of the ball that needed to be totally rebuilt when he took over and it sounds like it is starting to come together finally.

Not the same depth for the offense, and we just lost our starting center to an ACL and it sounds like they are having a tough time with the replacement. I could see it taking some time for the offense to get going. Would be pretty ironic if it turns out to be the defense keeping us in games... at least early on.

Given what I've read from camp, I think we may take more lumps than expected OOC. By the time conference gets going, we could surprise (just based on under performing in OOC). Of course it's tough to tell much this early.

Speed and athleticism seem to be in good supply. Fundamentals and football IQ (lack of experience at the college level) is what is lacking. Sounds like we will be strong, fast, and prone to facepalms.

2 hours ago, AKram said:

Oh ye of little faith.  Bobo's offense was the top offense in MWC games last season.  Hard to argue that his playcalling is an issue.

31 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Oh ye of little faith.  Bobo's offense was the top offense in MWC games last season.  Hard to argue that his playcalling is an issue.

Maybe. But they weren't top in total yards (Boise), passing (Boise), rushing (New Mexico, go figure), or points (Wyo). CSU's 3rd down efficiency was 42.2% behind 5 teams. Yes, Stevens finished with the best QB rating but, yippee. Is all this on Bobo specifically? No, the players need to execute and, for a while, Stevens either over or underthrew his receivers (and I hope he's figured this problem out this season), but he's still the play caller. I won't back down on my hope that Bobo gives up the play calling and assumes a managerial head coach role. 

12 minutes ago, AKram said:

Maybe. But they weren't top in total yards (Boise), passing (Boise), rushing (New Mexico, go figure), or points (Wyo). CSU's 3rd down efficiency was 42.2% behind 5 teams. Yes, Stevens finished with the best QB rating but, yippee. Is all this on Bobo specifically? No, the players need to execute and, for a while, Stevens either over or underthrew his receivers (and I hope he's figured this problem out this season), but he's still the play caller. I won't back down on my hope that Bobo gives up the play calling and assumes a managerial head coach role. 

I repeat.

They had the top offense in MWC games. 1st in Total Yards, 1st in Yards Per Play, 2nd in Points Scored.

Bobo giving up playcalling and assuming a more managerial role is a legit argument. Bobo's playcalling is not.