Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Las Vegas Reb

Even Jake Tapper knows what your university is named (UNR)

12 minutes ago, Greedy Reb said:

You missed my point. How could you be the flagship school of a state when most outside of the state don't even know you exist. When people hear "Nevada" they think UNLV. Nevada Wolfpack has almost zero brand recognition on a national stage. It just doesn't make sense not to try and distinguish yourselves by reppin' Reno. 

I'm not trying to argue just do find it odd you don't want to associate yourself with Reno, when the biggest base of population in the country and in our state are going to think UNLV when they think of universities in the state of Nevada. 

Respectfully disagree.  I think anyone but the most casual observer knows the difference between Nevada and UNLV.  UNLV might have a bit of a brand edge due to basketball, but otherwise I think it's fairly obvious.

This topic always brings the funnies. People get so worked up about it.

As for me, I don't care what they call themselves. The reason I call them UNR is because, growing up in Vegas, I never separated the school from the athletic program. I always heard both called UNR and so that's what I call them. I honestly mean no disrespect to them by it, I just don't see the need to call the same University two different names. :shrug:

42 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

This topic always brings the funnies. People get so worked up about it.

As for me, I don't care what they call themselves. The reason I call them UNR is because, growing up in Vegas, I never separated the school from the athletic program. I always heard both called UNR and so that's what I call them. I honestly mean no disrespect to them by it, I just don't see the need to call the same University two different names. :shrug:

it's mainly people prodding reno about their city and renoites getting ultra defensive about it.. so much so they'd prefer you refer to their city university by the state's name...

... but still proud of reno.... but preference for state name... but not embarrassed of our city!

31 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

it's mainly people prodding reno about their city and renoites getting ultra defensive about it.. so much so they'd prefer you refer to their city university by the state's name...

... but still proud of reno.... but preference for state name... but not embarrassed of our city!

It has nothing to do with embarrassment of our city. Just that typically flagships go by the state name for national athletic branding purposes. There's no doubt that UNLV has a strong national brand, so I don't understand why Rebel fans get so worked up about it.

Reno is a much better place to live by most measurable standards (crime, education, traffic, access to outdoors, etc). We surely aren't embarrassed of it. Unfortunately downtown does have some seedy areas which many tourists see, but there are many beautiful areas. 

2 minutes ago, bigd said:

It has nothing to do with embarrassment of our city. Just that typically flagships go by the state name for national athletic branding purposes. There's no doubt that UNLV has a strong national brand, so I don't understand why Rebel fans get so worked up about it.

Reno is a much better place to live by most measurable standards (crime, education, traffic, access to outdoors, etc). We surely aren't embarrassed of it. Unfortunately downtown does have some seedy areas which many tourists see, but there are many beautiful areas. 

37 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

it's mainly people prodding reno about their city and renoites getting ultra defensive about it..

46 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

Honestly, I haven't lived in Reno since I was 18 years old and do call it UNR because that's what I grew up with.  I'm just stating why it makes sense for the school to attempt to use Nevada to brand themselves.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

52 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

it's mainly people prodding reno about their city and renoites getting ultra defensive about it..

Fair enough, we have this identical thread multiple times a year and many of the Vegas fans get just as defensive about us identifying as Nevada. We could go in circles forever, but I don't think Nebraska fans are ashamed of Lincoln or Cal fans are ashamed of Berkeley, it's simply the branding our universities use for athletics. 

I'll be the first to admit that Reno often has a less than stellar reputation (though that is changing), but going by Nevada has nothing to do with being embarrassed of Reno. We just like to be called by our birth name...

I rarely see Nevada fans getting angry at people calling us Reno or UNR. More often I see Vegas fans (and you're a main culprit TK) pointing the issue out when a national outlet does call us Nevada.

17 minutes ago, bigd said:

Fair enough, we have this identical thread multiple times a year and many of the Vegas fans get just as defensive about us identifying as Nevada. We could go in circles forever, but I don't think Nebraska fans are ashamed of Lincoln or Cal fans are ashamed of Berkeley, it's simply the branding our universities use for athletics. 

I'll be the first to admit that Reno often has a less than stellar reputation (though that is changing), but going by Nevada has nothing to do with being embarrassed of Reno. We just like to be called by our birth name...

I rarely see Nevada fans getting angry at people calling us Reno or UNR. More often I see Vegas fans (and you're a main culprit TK) pointing the issue out when a national outlet does call us Nevada.

it's august

i love when renoites get defensive of their city and nomenclature. like i already said, call yourself whatever you want. i'll continue to call ya'll whatever i want. i don't think i've ever said anything about a "national outlet" calling reno - nevada, i challenge you to find such a claim. i don't watch reno sports, i don't follow college football. the name "nevada" doesn't resonate with me unless it's mispronounced. i don't think i have ever cared that reno prefers to go by their more?less? prestigious state name.

i just enjoy rustling the jimmers. you know your fredettes are rustled when you constantly have to respond with how your jimmers aren't fredetted 

On 8/13/2017 at 10:03 AM, mugtang said:

Actually, no.  The name was changed, without our consultation when UNLV was created.  UNLV was originally supposed to be called Nevada State University but some regent suggested UNLV after the students of UNLV already voted on Nevada State University.  We went by UNR for athletics in the 70s but moved away from it back to our historical name.   

What I want to know is why UNLV fans care that we call ourselves and why they feel so threatened by us calling ourselves Nevada.  

Because most can't spell Nevada. 

1 hour ago, TK_05 said:

it's august

i love when renoites get defensive of their city and nomenclature. like i already said, call yourself whatever you want. i'll continue to call ya'll whatever i want. i don't think i've ever said anything about a "national outlet" calling reno - nevada, i challenge you to find such a claim. i don't watch reno sports, i don't follow college football. the name "nevada" doesn't resonate with me unless it's mispronounced. i don't think i have ever cared that reno prefers to go by their more?less? prestigious state name.

i just enjoy rustling the jimmers. you know your fredettes are rustled when you constantly have to respond with how your jimmers aren't fredetted 

Haha can't argue with this, multiple times on this thread I made a decision not to respond, but then I just couldn't help myself.

So ready for football season.