Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Las Vegas Reb

Even Jake Tapper knows what your university is named (UNR)

27 minutes ago, bigd said:

It has nothing to do with the city, it has to do with our branding as the flagship. Cal is not ashamed of the Berkeley name, Texas not ashamed of Austin, and Nebraska isn't of Lincoln. They are simply the state flagships and at least for athletic purposes use the state name for branding. I often call us UNR, it's our acronym and many people use it. But for athletic branding we are Nevada, I don't understand why it's so difficult for UNLV fans to grasp. 

Cal is the flagship school in CA? LOL 

Just now, calvegas04 said:

UCLA has something to say about that. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

Actually, no.  The name was changed, without our consultation when UNLV was created.  UNLV was originally supposed to be called Nevada State University but some regent suggested UNLV after the students of UNLV already voted on Nevada State University.  We went by UNR for athletics in the 70s but moved away from it back to our historical name.   

What I want to know is why UNLV fans care that we call ourselves and why they feel so threatened by us calling ourselves Nevada.  

Personally, I don't, I often call you guys Nevada, you were here long before we were. But I too, can't figure out why you guys hate 'UNR'...I love that we are UNLV,and would love to see you guys take pride in Reno as well. The only thing I can think of is that some of the folks up north seem to need something to 'one up' those of us down south..and if it makes them feel better, nevada it is. (with an occasional reno thrown in, after all, i am a rebel. :D)

UCLA fans don't have and never will have a problem with calling UC Berkeley "Cal" for athletics.  On behalf of UCLA fans I would say anyone who didn't get in to both Cal and UCLA has an issue but otherwise it came down to your preference.  It was too close to home for me to go to Cal.

In 1923 Cal and Nevada played a legendary 0-0 tie that gave Cal a disputed national championship based on Cal fans attempt to get the game to not count so they were undefeated because Nevada played at the College level while Cal played at the University level.  I'm pretty sure that invented the whole FBS / FCS schism originally.  The first Cal v Nevada football game was played in 1899.

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/cal/nv.shtml

Nevada continues to play competitively against Cal and using the same brand for three centuries is something UNLV should aspire too.  I remember the Runnin' Rebels but it turned out they were running drugs...

3 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Why two names for one university?

Because at a winter meeting with no Northern representatives the Southern regents decided to change the name.  No biggie but for marketing purposes we went back to the original name Nevada for athletics.  The only newspapers in the country that still call us UNR are in Las Vegas.  A sportscaster in Las Vegas that graduated from Nevada kept calling us Nevada instead of UNR in his broadcasts so they fired him.  So who's paranoid?     

3 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

UCLA fans don't have and never will have a problem with calling UC Berkeley "Cal" for athletics.  On behalf of UCLA fans I would say anyone who didn't get in to both Cal and UCLA has an issue but otherwise it came down to your preference.  It was too close to home for me to go to Cal.

In 1923 Cal and Nevada played a legendary 0-0 tie that gave Cal a disputed national championship based on Cal fans tried to pretend the game didn't count so they were undefeated because Nevada played at the College level while Cal played at the University level.  I'm pretty sure that invented the whole FBS / FCS schism originally.  The first Cal v Nevada football game was played in 1899.

Nevada continues to play competitively against Cal and using the same brand for three centuries is something UNLV should aspire too.  I remember the Runnin' Rebels but it turned out they were running drugs...

Thanks Professor Jerkoff. There's your fascination with UNLV fans again. 

3 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

In 1923 Cal and Nevada played a legendary 0-0 tie that gave Cal a disputed national championship based on Cal fans tried to pretend the game didn't count so they were undefeated because Nevada played at the College level while Cal played at the University level.  I'm pretty sure that invented the whole FBS / FCS schism originally.  The first Cal v Nevada football game was played in 1899.

i used to like you...:foottap:

what are you talking about, anyway?

18 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Personally, I don't, I often call you guys Nevada, you were here long before we were. But I too, can't figure out why you guys hate 'UNR'...I love that we are UNLV,and would love to see you guys take pride in Reno as well. The only thing I can think of is that some of the folks up north seem to need something to 'one up' those of us down south..and if it makes them feel better, nevada it is. (with an occasional reno thrown in, after all, i am a rebel. :D)

This is really astute and names something I have felt. Why Is UNR so insistent on wanting to be "Nevada" and distance themselves from Reno. as 4UNLV says, I love that we are UNLV and primarily ID'd with Las Vegas it is who we are. And as another poster brought up, this odd obsession by UNR to be called "Nevada" actually hurts them as people outside of Nevada are just going to think Las Vegas any time they think Nevada. It hinders you all from any type of brand recognition.

Given these things, it has always made me think this is really some type of desire to position yourself as the flagship school of Nevada when the demographics and population trends are not at all in your favor. 

On 8/13/2017 at 4:10 PM, calvegas04 said:

How so?  It's THE University of California, the oldest, the original, and for a long time the only, UC campus. It's also has the most prestige.  Too many hipsters and neckbeards, but still...

3 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

so 40 years old, and 20 years after they were on the team, but the 'runnin' rebels' were running drugs... :Clapping:

and btw, anything from the LA Times means nothing to me. the LA Times and your AD made up more BS than tarkanian himself could ever have even dreamed of. just sayin. i don't even know what it was in the article from them that you quoted that had anything to do with your 'running drugs' joke, unless you were referencing lloyd daniels arrest for buying? or did you just want to remind us all about the ncaa? it's cool, they ultimately got caught not being able to prove most of what they allegated (based on proven lies from your AD published in....you guessed it, the LA Times). and maxson actually turned out to be a big crook, lol.

it's all good.

3 hours ago, wolfan8431 said:

So if it's UCLA should Cal have been changed to UCB?  Why did Nevada become UNR because of UNLV?

wut? not even sure what you're asking me there, but did you not read my earlier post? i said you SHOULD be called nevada if that's what you want. you existed much earlier, i don't care what you call yourselves, and i don't even care if you want two names. but the post you just quoted actually had nothing to do with nevada, it was about unlv and ucla. my apologies.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

Should we start digging up Bruins with checkered histories now?

or john wooden. :ph34r:  but i don't want to hijack this awesome thread.

4 hours ago, Greedy Reb said:

This is really astute and names something I have felt. Why Is UNR so insistent on wanting to be "Nevada" and distance themselves from Reno. as 4UNLV says, I love that we are UNLV and primarily ID'd with Las Vegas it is who we are. And as another poster brought up, this odd obsession by UNR to be called "Nevada" actually hurts them as people outside of Nevada are just going to think Las Vegas any time they think Nevada. It hinders you all from any type of brand recognition.

Given these things, it has always made me think this is really some type of desire to position yourself as the flagship school of Nevada when the demographics and population trends are not at all in your favor. 

No positioning about it.  Nevada is the flagship school for the state, which is why it makes sense to brand itself as Nevada.  As for Vegas' size, that's a given.  That being said a state's flagship public doesn't necessarily have to be in the state's biggest city: Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Texas, Florida.  Is Cincinnati or Cleveland State every going to overtake Ohio State? No.  Is Wayne State ever going to overtake Michigan? No.  Is UW-Milwaukee ever going to overtake Madison? No.  Is Houston ever going to overtake Texas? No.  I could keep going.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

Just now, VandalPride97 said:

How so?  It's THE University of California, the oldest, the original, and for a long time the only, UC campus. It's also has the most prestige.  Too many hipsters and neckbeards, but still...

Yeah, this.  California presents a unique situation where demographics, size and the presence of two global class cities have allowed UCLA to rise to the very top rank of public universities.  There is still a bit of separation though between UCB and UCLA on everything from median SAT score to number of National Academy members on the faculty.  The gap between the two might be smaller than it was 30 years ago, but there's still a gap.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

15 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

No positioning about it.  Nevada is the flagship school for the state, which is why it makes sense to brand itself as Nevada.  As for Vegas' size, that's a given.  That being said a state's flagship public doesn't necessarily have to be in the state's biggest city: Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Texas, Florida.  Is Cincinnati or Cleveland State every going to overtake Ohio State? No.  Is Wayne State ever going to overtake Michigan? No.  Is UW-Milwaukee ever going to overtake Madison? No.  Is Houston ever going to overtake Texas? No.  I could keep going.

i think this  ^ ^ ^  might be what unlv fans mock 'nevada' about.

you'll figure it out. 

and btw, we don't care if you're the 'flagship', lol.

12 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

You missed my point. How could you be the flagship school of a state when most outside of the state don't even know you exist. When people hear "Nevada" they think UNLV. Nevada Wolfpack has almost zero brand recognition on a national stage. It just doesn't make sense not to try and distinguish yourselves by reppin' Reno. 

I'm not trying to argue just do find it odd you don't want to associate yourself with Reno, when the biggest base of population in the country and in our state are going to think UNLV when they think of universities in the state of Nevada.