Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

White Nationalist Rally in Virginia

15 minutes ago, toonkee said:

My favorite sandwich is fritos, tuna and pickles. No mayo. Butter on the bread and a little pepper in the tuna. It really works.

Either it inexplicably works or you're pregnant.

15 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Helen Jewett is an interesting case. Her (their) letters were beautiful and expressive and captivated New York City. Make no mistake, however, she was educated.....much more so than most women of the day. She was an orphan and raised by a prominent judge, who gave her an excellent education and she was, by all accounts, very intelligent. I think one thing you (we) need to keep in mind is that the world literacy rate has dramatically changed what we see as the quality of written communication. In 1800, the world literacy rate was 12%. The only people writing and, thus, the only examples of written communication from that era are by those with the highest educations.....the 12%'ers if you will. Today, the world literacy rate is 85% and there are more opportunities for the bottom half of those "literate" people to have their writing seen by other people. It's not that the top 12% write any less eloquently, but rather the bottom 88% have made huge strides. When people lament the "good old days", they often forget the negatives that were left behind. 

This is a great post. But it feels like it kinda undermines me a little bit. So my ruling is BULLCRAP! @Posturedoc has my back. Those who can't write shouldn't. Use your hands to communicate you bloody savages.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

This is a great post. But it feels like it kinda undermines me a little bit. So my ruling is BULLCRAP! @Posturedoc has my back. Those who can't write shouldn't. Use your hands to communicate you bloody savages.

M-FINGER.jpg

7 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Let's get a few things straight here. First, any post that undermines you is a great post. Second, it wasn't really aimed at you. Third, my second point is not true. 

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

Let's get a few things straight here. First, any post that undermines you is a great post. Second, it wasn't really aimed at you. Third, my second point is not true. 

tenor.gif

When the Astros lose in the ALDS, you will remember these transgressions.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 8/17/2017 at 11:08 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

I would disagree. What are decent folk united on? Uniformly in their grief and regret that an innocent person was killed and many people maimed in a terrorist act, and also that white nationalism is disgusting. We've seen in this thread that the unity frays concerning the overall condemnation of direct action violence. Quite a few decent people have advocated punching indecent people for simply holding repugnant beliefs.

Racism is not a scab. What we are seeing is only a lesion symptomatic of the larger disease within our existence, one that we as a species are born with and we as a nation actively cultured for far too long. The antibody is the marketplace of ideas, which can only work if the violence is condemned and avoided. It's a slower cure, much slower than most would hope, and certain to take longer than we as individuals have to live. But violence is no cure at all. Ripping the scab won't prevent future lesions, and may help cause an infection far worse to our system than the current situation.

I would agree strongly with this point.  We as a nation need to re-establish the ability to have civil discourse of ideas.   I have largely avoided this thread as it seemed to be anything but that discourse.   I think this post does a pretty good job of expressing the point....

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/19/after-charlottesville-americans-should-settle-our-differences-with-talk-not-violence.html

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

tenor.gif

When the Astros lose in the ALDS, you will remember these transgressions.

I'm an Angels fan first, so I'll assume that's who your whodoo Voodoo doll is aimed at. If so, thanks!! Though I do think it would be awesome if the Astros won it all. Jeff Bagwell hasn't groped anyone behind home plate this year, Tal's hill had been removed from the outfield and Nolan Ryan's meat products are having a banner year....everything is falling into place!

6 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

I'm an Angels fan first, so I'll assume that's who your whodoo Voodoo doll is aimed at. If so, thanks!! Though I do think it would be awesome if the Astros won it all. Jeff Bagwell hasn't groped anyone behind home plate this year, Tal's hill had been removed from the outfield and Nolan Ryan's meat products are having a banner year....everything is falling into place!

Jeff-Bagwell-Boob-Grab.jpg

Ha, I totally missed this when it happen. Bags grabbing funbags.

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Jeff-Bagwell-Boob-Grab.jpg

Ha, I totally missed this when it happen. Bags grabbing funbags.

He's done that to me too, so I keep track of that rascal. 

On 8/18/2017 at 9:08 AM, Slapdad said:

Helen Jewett is an interesting case. Her (their) letters were beautiful and expressive and captivated New York City. Make no mistake, however, she was educated.....much more so than most women of the day. She was an orphan and raised by a prominent judge, who gave her an excellent education and she was, by all accounts, very intelligent. I think one thing you (we) need to keep in mind is that the world literacy rate has dramatically changed what we see as the quality of written communication. In 1800, the world literacy rate was 12%. The only people writing and, thus, the only examples of written communication from that era are by those with the highest educations.....the 12%'ers if you will. Today, the world literacy rate is 85% and there are more opportunities for the bottom half of those "literate" people to have their writing seen by other people. It's not that the top 12% write any less eloquently, but rather the bottom 88% have made huge strides. When people lament the "good old days", they often forget the negatives that were left behind. 

The U.S.as a population had a much higher literacy rate though

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

The U.S.as a population had a much higher literacy rate though

That hardly matters. The point remains the same.

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

Was at the O's Angel's game last night in Camden Yards. So awesome. 

Holy cow, what a game. Every run via home run and Machado had a day for the ages at the plate. Trout and Valbuena both with two HR's tonight too. 

8 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Holy cow, what a game. Every run via home run and Machado had a day for the ages at the plate. Trout and Valbuena both with two HR's tonight too. 

It really was. We stayed across the street from the park and all of us were just talking about it the whole night 

12 hours ago, Slapdad said:

That hardly matters. The point remains the same.

No it doesn't. We're comparing America to old America. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 8/18/2017 at 8:05 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Man, I was just starting to feel a little optimistic with the above...

On 8/18/2017 at 8:17 AM, retrofade said:

At it's most base...

Jefferson didn't fight in a war to keep the economic system that was slavery in place. Lee was not one of the founders of this country; he wasn't one of the biggest contributors to the Declaration of Independence, he didn't help to found our system of government, and he wasn't a President. 

On 8/18/2017 at 9:01 AM, renoskier said:

Have enough folks adequately addressed your question?

no..... Jefferson helped write a document that established that slaves 3/5 of a man...protected generations of slavery...., owned slaves. 

Instead of tearing things down, perhaps those who wish to destroy hisotry should put up their own statues. 

10 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

no..... Jefferson helped write a document that established that slaves 3/5 of a man...protected generations of slavery...., owned slaves. 

Instead of tearing things down, perhaps those who wish to destroy hisotry should put up their own statues. 

No he didn't. Jefferson was in France when that document was written. Jefferson wrote the document that stated all men are created equal.