Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

White Nationalist Rally in Virginia

False equivalence is the tool that Trump supporters/flat earthers/science deniers, etc. constantly use in order to justify their behavior, thoughts and actions.

Antifa is as bad as the Nazis...

Science is just another religion...

Trump says and does the same stuff everybody else did...

My opinion is worth the same as experts...

The funny thing is when they use this argument all they're really saying is "oh, yeah well you're just as bad as me and a hypocrite like me."

18 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I wasn't calling for removing anyone, it was the statues. Otherwise I was responding to the statement:  "Let them have a peaceful protest without getting in their face and calling them Nazis."

my apologies, I don't really see why this thread has gone so far. I think everyone agrees that there are bad apples in every group and bad groups in every society. Interestingly enough, I walked through Lee Park a year ago when my daughter and I went to tour UVa for college. Big stain for a cool town.

6 minutes ago, toonkee said:

False equivalence is the tool that Trump supporters/flat earthers/science deniers, etc. constantly use in order to justify their behavior, thoughts and actions.

Antifa is as bad as the Nazis...

Science is just another religion...

Trump says and does the same stuff everybody else did...

My opinion is worth the same as experts...

The funny thing is when they use this argument all they're really saying is "oh, yeah well you're just as bad as me and a hypocrite like me."

I have zero issue with the mostly peaceful counter protesters. I have an issue with the NAZI, KKK, Skinhead, Nationalists, and ANTIFA. There is no false equivalency in that stance. All of the above mentioned groups are the same evil bastards. If they all suddenly died the world would be a much better place.

25 minutes ago, Rocket said:

The truth is some people are more than willing to defend, fabricate, lie, smear, alin the name of racism. Why else would anybody try to create a false equivalancy between the Nazi's/KKK/white supremacists and the peaceful protestors? I just cant support that. Sorry. Free speech my ass.

Yeah, in this issue, I don't get it either. You may have some thoughts that may/may-not sway opinions one way or the other, or provide more insight. Granted I live in Virginia, so I've probably been a little more heated than I normally would have. Maybe. I hate Nazis, KKK, white supremacists, and Confederate leadership. There's good people here though, would hate to think we chased someone away.

8 minutes ago, sean327 said:

I have zero issue with the mostly peaceful counter protesters. I have an issue with the NAZI, KKK, Skinhead, Nationalists, and ANTIFA. There is no false equivalency in that stance. All of the above mentioned groups are the same evil bastards. If they all suddenly died the world would be a much better place.

But the presence of a few Antifa types is being used to brand all counterdemonstrators as violent extreme leftists and that is far from true.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

20 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Yes, equating Antifa with Nazis is false.

Both may show up at "protests" from time to time and cause some trouble but only one gassed Jews and all that other stuff.

I'm not calling you a Nazi sympathizer, by the way, and I'm not saying Antifa are righteous angels. I'm just saying one is much, much worse than the other and it trivializes Nazism, Hitler and genocide when the two are equated or called two sides of the same coin. 

5 hours ago, easybronc said:

He was not a traitor in Virginia.  Maybe thats why his statue is in Charlottesville and not Boston.

Just as all of West Point graduates today, he had pledged allegiance to the United States of America not the State of Virginia.  He was a phucking traitor....and a loser to boot. Who erects statues to losers?

51 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Meh. If evil bastards dying made the world a better place Afghanistan would be the Garden of Eden. 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Just as all of West Point graduates today, he had pledged allegiance to the United States of America not the State of Virginia.  He was a plucking traitor....and a loser to boot. Who erects statues to losers?

losers?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

56 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

But the presence of a few Antifa types is being used to brand all counterdemonstrators as violent extreme leftists and that is far from true.

I'm not branding the peaceful counter demonstrators. I'm calling out the violent assholes on both sides. The NAZI clowns and their minions showed up looking for a fight. ANTIFA showed up to fight. The counter protesters got caught in the middle of a shitstorm not of their making. 

I think everybody needs to take a step back from this thread and take a deep breath

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Maybe it's my Marine mentality, but I see both groups as enemies. Both groups are domestic enemies in my view. Some people just need killing, and both groups fall into this category.

26 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I watched the whole thing and +++++ him. Anyone who still supports him after today is a nazi sympathizer at best. 

Oh boy. It must've been a good speech.

47 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Just as all of West Point graduates today, he had pledged allegiance to the United States of America not the State of Virginia.  He was a plucking traitor....and a loser to boot. Who erects statues to losers?

George Washington got his military training from the British  as did many of the Continental Army officers.  Traitors.

As I read through this thread, I've looked up several things out of curiosity. For one, I was curious about hate groups, their numbers as opposed to historical numbers and their location and stumbled upon this link: Hate map When you view the map with all the hate groups listed, there certainly is a concentration of them in the south, as I would expect. However, what surprised me was looking at them individually and really, the biggest number in the south was the black separatist groups and (not surprisingly) the KKK. Outside of that, hate groups were pretty evenly spread out across the country.