Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k5james

Season Ticket Sales

1 minute ago, Scooter said:

Cool story bro.

Go ahead and show me how great Nevada's student section is today.

Do you have 2,000 at games now instead of 1,000?  3,000 maybe?  That would be cool.

I wasn't finished with my post yet, Scooter. Scooter.....I always think of the green scooter I had when I was a kid when I see your name. Do you by any chance have a brother named Big Wheel? 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

No, can't be. You can't be that stupid. You've got to be joking about saying you're not joking! 

Alright, I'll do an imitation of your brilliance:

I, Nevada Convert, was at a CSU game at Hughes back in 2007 in Sonny's last season before Fairchild came in and saved CSU football. :)  You guys were playing a very bad FCS team, and you just barely beat them at the end. There was no one at this game, certainly no students there. The parking lot was so empty, the stadium management had to quickly put up flashing "OPEN" signs just outside the stadium. It was almost all player parents showing up and the stadium didn't want them turning around and leaving while thinking the game was canceled. 

So after seeing that miserable support from fans and students 10 years ago in that 1 game, I now know for sure that CSU has had extremely little support from their students in the last 10 years, and will continue to have extremely little support until I come out to another game and see otherwise. Got it? 

Very selective piece of evidence.  CSU went 9-3 that season, including 1-9 in their first 10.  Game #11 was Georgia Southern.  The team had given up and so had the fans, and nobody wanted to watch Georgia Southern in mid-November.  CSU was averaging the mid 20,000's at Hughes that year until the AFA loss.  After that the students had a case of "we suck and it's cold".  Not arguing your point about that particular game, but it sure as hell wasn't representative of CSU attendance.

10 hours ago, pokebball said:

Perhaps you should.  I've heard that CSU has the greatest student turnout and game-time experience in Div 1 football.

Gonna take that over from North Texas.  Two ponds ain't shit; have you even seen CSU's new stadium?

On 8/10/2017 at 8:15 PM, Headbutt said:

No, it can't.  That's why I refer to it as an alternative season ticket.  The general public is locked out of that seat whether it is used by a student or not.  My point is that while every student pays a fee, those seats are only available to the group that paid a fee.  I can't buy a seat in those sections no matter what.  Since a group owns those seats and no one else can get them, they are actual season tickets.  From a marketing standpoint they shouldn't be counted as such, but  from a ticket sales standpoint they should be recognized as part of the equation.  

CSU has sold over 15,000 season tickets, and in addition have made 10,500 season tickets available to students due to their purchase of student fees.  Therefore, there are 25,500 seats that are sold and are not available for purchase. That's 25,500 season tickets sold regardless of how many are used.  To qualify the process, we report 15,000 season tickets sold and then report actual usage of the 10,500 student season tickets.  That's the only honest way.  The halfwit mentality of comparing a MWC ticketing system to the approach used by Ohio State, Tennessee, etc. is just plumb stupid.  We do it our way, and they do it theirs.  CSU uses the same approach as WYO, UNLV, SDSU, Boise st.,Nevada, ....whatever.

This is a stupid discussion.  Those accusing CSU of using student tickets as part of their season ticket reporting know better and only make up a false objection out of jealousy.  Pretty sad to be jealous of a school that hasn't exactly ripped up national interest due to their attendance.  A significant reach to find something to cry about.

First of all you're the only person I've seen in the interwebs take this stupid position and argue it sideways. I get CSU has a great student section. But to suggest those tickets equate to season tickets isn't accurate. That's just not how it works but that's what you do... 

And it is a stupid discussion that you have regularly. I am not jealous of CSU. It sold 15k season tickets. If I'm going to be jealous of a program I'd set the bar higher. Think Boise or Fresno. 

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

First of all you're the only person I've seen in the interwebs take this stupid position and argue it sideways. I get CSU has a great student section. But to suggest those tickets equate to season tickets isn't accurate. That's just not how it works but that's what you do... 

And it is a stupid discussion that you have regularly. I am not jealous of CSU. It sold 15k season tickets. If I'm going to be jealous of a program I'd set the bar higher. Think Boise or Fresno. 

Ok, I'll bite.  I don't have the discussion regularly.

If one can muster the intellect to address the issue from a position a little bit higher than an ESPN capability, they'll see that I'm correct.  I have never maintained that student tickets should be counted the same as season tickets sold to the general public.  The first merely requires a student fee, the second requires creating a compelling reason for someone to want to part with their treasure.

My argument is not that they should be counted in the "season tickets sold" category, that would create an apples to oranges situation.  It is rather that a student ticket is a form of season ticket and absolutely can have an impact on the season ticket equation, and the overall revenue taken in.  Granted, it's nice for the AD to know exactly the revenue they are receiving from the students in advance, but there are times that some of those student seats could be sold to the general public and the students don't use them.  Hypothetical...If Wyo or Boise were in FC for an 8PM Halloween kickoff, we'd have several thousand empty seats in the student section and a very large number of individuals left lacking for a ticket.  Those "special" season tickets are very much a part of the revenue and attendance equation.

I'm merely suggesting that folks take a broader look at what student tickets really are, and how they impact the overall equation.  It was the mouth breathing 7-11 clerks on the board that couldn't handle the concept of looking at something in a light beyond a stat column that accused me of wanting to count student fee season tickets as general public season tickets.  Fortunately, there are quite a few on the board who are willing to exercise cogent thought and respond in that vein instead of just snorting, scratching themselves, and calling someone out for something they didn't say.

As for your CSU jealousy...don't care.  Deal with that on your own.

17 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

If one can muster the intellect to address the issue from a position a little bit higher than an ESPN capability, they'll see that I'm correct.  I have never maintained that student tickets should be counted the same as season tickets sold to the general public.  The first merely requires a student fee, the second requires creating a compelling reason for someone to want to part with their treasure.

My argument is not that they should be counted in the "season tickets sold" category, that would create an apples to oranges situation.  It is rather that a student ticket is a form of season ticket and absolutely can have an impact on the season ticket equation, and the overall revenue taken in.  Granted, it's nice for the AD to know exactly the revenue they are receiving from the students in advance, but there are times that some of those student seats could be sold to the general public and the students don't use them.  Hypothetical...If Wyo or Boise were in FC for an 8PM Halloween kickoff, we'd have several thousand empty seats in the student section and a very large number of individuals left lacking for a ticket.  Those "special" season tickets are very much a part of the revenue and attendance equation.

I'm merely suggesting that folks take a broader look at what student tickets really are, and how they impact the overall equation.  It was the mouth breathing 7-11 clerks on the board that couldn't handle the concept of looking at something in a light beyond a stat column that accused me of wanting to count student fee season tickets as general public season tickets.  Fortunately, there are quite a few on the board who are willing to exercise cogent thought and respond in that vein instead of just snorting, scratching themselves, and calling someone out for something they didn't say.

At CSU can a student ticket be validated and sold to the general public?  I know a lot of schools will allow students to validate their tickets for a cost and then sell them to the general public, opening up the ticket to anyone.  At some schools, kids don't ever go to games, they just make money off tickets.  

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

At CSU can a student ticket be validated and sold to the general public?  I know a lot of schools will allow students to validate their tickets for a cost and then sell them to the general public, opening up the ticket to anyone.  At some schools, kids don't ever go to games, they just make money off tickets.  

In the past, no as far as I'm aware.  Definitely going forward it won't work as the new process for students is to claim a ticket online which then is only available to them by presenting their student ID at the gate.  

I do like the system you are describing.  I'm not too concerned about some kid making a few bucks off a student season ticket if it didn't exclude another student from using it, but I am a fan of putting BITS.

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

There are a lot of these on this board.

I think someone stated once how well our student attendance was at games and the idiot patrol here (BSUtop25) and others that twisted, turned and reconstituted it into someone claiming that these counted as season tickets. 

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

5 minutes ago, Scooter said:

I think someone stated once how well our student attendance was at games and the idiot patrol here (BSUtop25) and others that twisted, turned and reconstituted it into someone claiming that these counted as season tickets. 

Well yes and no.  There are a lot of the 7-11's on here, but in fairness I seem to remember a RAM fan claiming our student season tickets as regular season tickets.  Of course, one stupid comment and somehow the mouth breathers attribute it to CSU group think.

11 hours ago, Scooter said:

Aww Scoots -- so happy you always take time to reference me. BTW, you should sport your rad game day gear at an airport one of these days. 

CSU_fan_undaunted_by_Rams__loss_to_Utah_

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 8/10/2017 at 5:43 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

So those seats will be counted in CSU official attendance numbers regardless if the students show up (the same way season tickets are treated)? Technically the entire student population at Wyo are season ticket holders due to student fees...

You guys have a great stadium and solid season ticket numbers, no need to go full retard with these "student season tickets".

No, they still have to scan them and only count if they show up. But I'm guessing most games are pretty much sold out for students. Even if it is only for a half for many of them... 

18 hours ago, Headbutt said:

In the past, no as far as I'm aware.  Definitely going forward it won't work as the new process for students is to claim a ticket online which then is only available to them by presenting their student ID at the gate.  

I do like the system you are describing.  I'm not too concerned about some kid making a few bucks off a student season ticket if it didn't exclude another student from using it, but I am a fan of putting BITS.

The new system will prevent it, but last year a student could go to the game, show their ID and get a ticket, then turn right around and go get another ticket until all of their friends had a ticket. They didn't need to show their ID to get into the stadium. 

7 hours ago, SLCPoke said:

Wait @Headbutt , CSU is at 15,000 season tickets and 10,000 are students?? WTF?

No He's saying 15,000 sold to the public so far.  10,500 set aside for students on top of regular sales.

NO, I'M NOT COUNTING STUDENTS IN THE TOTAL SOLD TO THE PUBLIC.  

59 minutes ago, jimjam said:

No He's saying 15,000 sold to the public so far.  10,500 set aside for students on top of regular sales.

NO, I'M NOT COUNTING STUDENTS IN THE TOTAL SOLD TO THE PUBLIC.  

Hahahaha I know. I was just being an ass

tetons1.jpg

On 8/7/2017 at 8:31 PM, badfish said:

The ex charger fans will wait for a few winning seasons and a lot more Aztec media attention before committing to season tickets. San Diegans need winners and relevance first.

A whopping 21K at the StubHub Center on Sunday for their first home game and the amount of talk about them among sports fans I speak to here in L.A. is absolute zero. I continue to think that when Dean dies - and he's 67 and looks older - that the Chargers could return to SD. I don't want them to but to say there's no chance of that is to be naive.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

A whopping 21K at the StubHub Center on Sunday for their first home game and the amount of talk about them among sports fans I speak to here in L.A. is absolute zero. I continue to think that when Dean dies - and he's 67 and looks older - that the Chargers could return to SD. I don't want them to but to say there's no chance of that is to be naive.

Sorry, no chance. Only if the team was sold, could this possibility ever exist.

On 8/11/2017 at 11:10 AM, Scooter said:

I've been to most of the stadiums in this league and including USU in 2015.  It looked like they had about 3-4,000 students at that game.

I've also been to UNLV, UNM, WYO, AF, UNR, Boise and Fresno.  None of these schools had very strong representation although wyo does ok when they are winning maybe 4-5,000.  Fresno looked like about 5,000 when i was there in 2015.

We all know about Hawaii, SJSU.  

SDSU might be the only school that has an argument.  

the entire east side of Hughes was reserve for students.  That area held about 10,000.  When we had a good opponent and were doing well we filled that area. Further, I've heard fans from USU and Nevada claim we have the best student section in the conference on this board. 

I'm very excited to see how the student section will be at the new stadium.  There's already been talk of giving out 12,000 student tix for the Oregon State game.

Seems about right for Fresno

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg