FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

I think an argument can be made that the 2009 WAC was on par or better than the current MWC (which at 12 is much too large for its revenue stream)

The 2009 WAC consisted of 9 members: Boise State, Fresno State, Hawai'i, Idaho, Louisiana Tech, Nevada, New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Utah State, with equal revenue distribution.

Boise State won the 2009 WAC title going 13–0, 8–0 in conference and were invited to play in the Fiesta Bowl, in which they defeated previously unbeaten TCU. Nevada, Fresno State, and Idaho also played in bowl games, the Hawaiʻi Bowl, New Mexico Bowl, and Humanitarian Bowl, respectively. Nevada lost to SMU and Fresno State lost to Wyoming, while Idaho beat Bowling Green.

That, my friends, is called efficiency. Let's also remember that the WAC had Chris Peterson leading its most decorated program.

Considering the current state of Idaho football, I would say they would be among the upper tier of the current WAC (if it still had all its former members). Louisiana Tech today is a solid program under Skip Holtz.

When you compare that with the awful OOC record of the current MWC (losing to Sunbelt and CUSA type programs OOC), it looks very good. Revenue is split fewer ways and it had more exciting football.

The current MWC made the same mistake the current CUSA did. It blew up too big. Compound the added fat with the disproportionate revenue distribution and its no wonder that the MWC teams struggle so bad.

• Like 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:36 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Those recruiting data are one more example of how GD stoopid Mike Aresco is. Had he not pushed for the addition of Too-lame and thereby set in motion a chain reaction that resulted in Boise and SDSU not jumping to the nBE, the MWC WOULD now be the western version of the MAC that FoneyFrog so often contends it is.

Of course, the numbnutz president of FoneyFrog's alma mater put the bug in Aresco's ear to do that.:hahaha:

It is what it is bro.

Aresco gave Tulane the tools to leapfrog Boise and SDSU when the next TV deal is announced.

You can blame Bob Kustra for that.

No way was NAVY going to give up monies to a school like Boise State. The Academy would rather give Tulane the advantages of being in a better conference.

Considering that Boise lost Chris Peterson soon after is making Navy/Aresco look like soothsayers.

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

Let's not forget... The WAC was also on the verge of adding BYU... in a Wichita/ND type Olympic sports deal.

Having a BYU would give that group a much more bigtime feel than the current MWC, sans Peterson

That would be a tight 10.

At that point, the MWC leftovers are probably trying to convince the Montanas or the Dakotas.

image11.png

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

Tulane deprived the BW of $4 million worth of Boise travel subs and extra tournament credits.  :angry:

At least our baseball coach came to his senses.  After the 2016 CWS he flew to New Orleans supposedly to interview for the Tulane job, and immediately turned around to go home without interviewing.   

18 minutes ago, FormerFrog said:

The MWC is poaching Wagner and Call State Fullerton these days...

Not saying these guys are bad players.. its just an observation.

Believe it or not, every conference has players being poached. The Texas S. Player from the terrible SWAC was being sought after by a ton of power conference teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardrater said:

Believe it or not, every conference has players being poached. The Texas S. Player from the terrible SWAC was being sought after by a ton of power conference teams.

Exactly.  With over 350 D1 schools I bet you can find at least one player every year who transferred out of a power conference to a mid or low major. 

Good for Corey Henson and good for Nevada.  I hope it works well for both parties.  I think the OP whiffed here in an obvious trolling attempt.

0.5/10 

Muss could havee loaded up on freshmen and finished last for a couple of years waiting for them to develop or go grab some transfers and start competing sooner..

It should be noted that he had no transfers on his first Nevada team.  Almost the whole team from Carter's last season returned and Muss filled his only two openings with freshmen.  Oliver and Drew..

I think he will grab 2 to 4 frosh this November..

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, Hugh Jiddump said:

WAC Football >  Manurepile West FB. You've brought us down to your level.

WAC Softball was >>>>>>>>>>> MW Softball, but SJS and CSUf's departue has completely reversed that.

THAT'S THE REAL ISSUE.

THIS PILE OF MANURE IS BASICALLY THE WAC...

BUT THE WAC WAS COMPACT... THE MWC JUST KEPT ADDING TEAMS ON TO THE MANURE PILE THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CONFERENCE UNDER THE MWC BANNER WORTH ANY MORE MONEY..

LETS BE HONEST... HAVING WYOMING INSTEAD OF IDAHO OR NMSU REALLY DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THE MANURE PILE IS JUST TOO DAMN HIGH TO SUPPORT WITH CRAPPY MEDIA DEALS.

• Haha 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, jdgaucho said:

Tulane deprived the BW of $4 million worth of Boise travel subs and extra tournament credits.  :angry:

At least our baseball coach came to his senses.  After the 2016 CWS he flew to New Orleans supposedly to interview for the Tulane job, and immediately turned around to go home without interviewing.   

LOL. I don't know what he was thinking... The AAC was the #4 baseball conference (AND ADDS a tradition rich Wichita State team, with gorgeous stadium)

Mark my words, Tulane will be better in football and basketball than most of the MWC in short order..

The Wave are already out recruiting the entire MWC in football.

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

On 8/20/2017 at 3:53 PM, FormerFrog said:

I think an argument can be made that the 2009 WAC was on par or better than the current MWC (which at 12 is much too large for its revenue stream)

The 2009 WAC consisted of 9 members: Boise State, Fresno State, Hawai'i, Idaho, Louisiana Tech, Nevada, New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Utah State, with equal revenue distribution.

Boise State won the 2009 WAC title going 13–0, 8–0 in conference and were invited to play in the Fiesta Bowl, in which they defeated previously unbeaten TCU. Nevada, Fresno State, and Idaho also played in bowl games, the Hawaiʻi Bowl, New Mexico Bowl, and Humanitarian Bowl, respectively. Nevada lost to SMU and Fresno State lost to Wyoming, while Idaho beat Bowling Green.

That, my friends, is called efficiency. Let's also remember that the WAC had Chris Peterson leading its most decorated program.

Considering the current state of Idaho football, I would say they would be among the upper tier of the current WAC (if it still had all its former members). Louisiana Tech today is a solid program under Skip Holtz.

When you compare that with the awful OOC record of the current MWC (losing to Sunbelt and CUSA type programs OOC), it looks very good. Revenue is split fewer ways and it had more exciting football.

The current MWC made the same mistake the current CUSA did. It blew up too big. Compound the added fat with the disproportionate revenue distribution and its no wonder that the MWC teams struggle so bad.

Frog, it appears to me you're getting desparate

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:48 AM, nvspuds said:

Muss could havee loaded up on freshmen and finished last for a couple of years waiting for them to develop or go grab some transfers and start competing sooner..

It should be noted that he had no transfers on his first Nevada team.  Almost the whole team from Carter's last season returned and Muss filled his only two openings with freshmen.  Oliver and Drew..

I think he will grab 2 to 4 frosh this November..

NEVADA IS SNIFFING AROUND SJSU'S BRANDON CLARKE!! LMAO

SO MUCH FOR CONFERENCE LOYALTY.

CHECK CLARKES TWITTER FOLLOWERS. NEVADA COACHES HAVE STARTED FOLLOWING HIM, AND HE HASN'T EVEN LEFT THE SJSU CAMPUS.

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

8 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Frog, it appears to me you're getting desparate

Nahh..

Just making the point that you can change around the membership and choose just about any 9-10 teams in the West and it would be worth more than a 12 team group (like what the MWC has become).

CUSA has this same issue. It outgrew its revenue stream.

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

3 minutes ago, FormerFrog said:

Nahh..

Just making the point that you can change around the membership and choose just about any 9-10 teams in the West and it would be worth more than a 12 team group (like what the MWC has become).

CUSA has this same issue. It outgrew its revenue stream.

ignoring all of the other changes that have occurred?  failed logic

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Its the age old question. Do you care how your conference mates do as long as you're winning? Many dont.

I'd argue that individual success at the expense of your mates is the only real way to succeed here.

That "Survival of the fittest" mentality is about 1 thing. Getting the conference autobid, by hook or by crook.

should it be that way? Is it wrong for Nevada to pursue SJSUs best player before he leaves campus? Was it wrong for Bob Kustra to demand the biggest slice of revenue pie, at the expense of the struggling teams like SJSU (who are getting hit from all directions).

I say no. I say the writing is on the wall and these admins know that by pushing down their mates they can forward their individual goals.

But will that MWC mentality help get a bigger TV deal?

To that I also say no. The brand has simply eroded too much.

The MWC brass knows they are beyond that point. They hope by promoting a hunger games competition they can perhaps put a strong representative in the NCAA pool.

Discuss.

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif