Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FormerFrog

SI: Creation of AAC is one of the 10 Best Decisions of College Football's Last 10 Years

The only place I've noticed anyone use the "Power 6" term seriously is the AAC Board.  The media created "power 5" and now they have a media campaign to try and change that.  Aresco used to be a TV exec so he should understand this is doomed but he thinks that he can somehow change thousands of sportswriters minds in time for his tv deal.

My impression is that there are a series of articles in the papers of each respective American Athletic university with a President or Athletic Administrator pontificating about tv rights.

All the talking points are the same, but they don't reflect a negotiation that is as far along as where the Hair clearly has gotten with CBS and ESPN.

I'm a big proponent of jacking up the premium for Window 4.  It's win-win for the MW and the Pac 12 because there are four major networks and only two sellers (BYU fans hate late games too).

The American's value is completely different.  The American is probably the best value for NBC to pair with Notre Dame but it could also be a great value for CBS.  The overall impression after the Mountain West network morphed into CBS Sports is that CBS really doesn't take advantage of their properties.  CBS also actively is reducing SDSU's revenue by preventing them from maximizing their RSN deal with a Fox affiliate.

Overall, my impression of the American West posters is that they are good fans.  Not many American East posters around here but I've been to Florida...

23 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You don't have the history some of us have with AAC Board Fan, I can assure you of that. I spent a fair amount of time there when it appeared SDSU was headed to the nBE for football and although many of those guys were quite hospitable, just as many weren't. It would have been totally understandable for fans of the C7 to see SDSU and Boise as interlopers since those schools didn't play football and we weren't going to play basketball. But it wasn't those guys who disrespected us. I also don't remember fans of Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse being pissed at our coming. Instead it was fans of the lesser lights like Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis USF and UCF who felt it was beneath them to be in the same conference with us. Not content to having rid themselves of us, now they're bringing that shit here. And that's amplified by the P6 thing which is downright farcical. As posts from so many folks here have pointed out, the AAC is only marginally superior to the MWC now that we've lost three of our most valuable members and added - cough, cough - SJSU so the AAC is one helluva lost closer to being the MWC than it is to being the B12 and their commissioner is just as much a bumbling fool as is Craig Thompson but they're either too dense to have figured that out or too myopic to have tried.

With that I'll step down from the soapbox.

thats a lie, the aac fans have always been supportive of sdsu when sdsu was invited...they never felt we were too good...if anything tilll this very day it is sdsu fans who come to the AAC forums to trash tulane as being too good for them

some Cincy fans were like that but they are like that with everyone .. im not gonna lie we talked about how we didnt think sdsu football was gonna be good versus us, but not to the point we thought they shouldnt be invited, more of a glad you are here but you are going to be our bottom feeders..ive been on that forum forever and on the old espn blog and when sdsu was expected to join you are flat out making out how we treated ya'll

we joke about being too good for sdsu "now" becuase of fanhood (who stirs things up), the stadium situation and our love of trolling the g4, but if an actual invite was given most aac would be happy...

lastly you guys post more there than we post here...why are you acting like we just came here to tournament you, me and fanhood have made a frienemy situation and thats mostly from him trash talking on the AAC forums

45 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I don't think we get much more but I also don't think we get a reduction. (the MAC got a raise, so will the AAC)

I've already made my prediction: in 2019 the AAC announces we will extend our deal with ESPN. 165 Million over 6 years paying out 2.292 million per team per season. That will take the AAC to 2025 when all hell breaks loose.

Pretty reasonable.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 hours ago, pesik said:

how did i move the goal post..nowhere in this thread, nowhere in this forum have i claimed houston was the best aac team last year 

you claimed houston was the best AAC last year (not me) and then claimed the mwc was better becuase the mwc beat them...you inflated houston to make the win more prized, and then ignored any details of the game...i never moved any goal posts

2) no one ever claimed that our #6 or #7 teams were better than g5 champs..no one in the AAC ever claimed that kind of dominance..if the acc #7 was pinned against the mwc#1, acc #8 was pinned against c-usa #1 , acc #9 was pinned against the #1 AAC..i dont expect the acc to have a winning record with that, but that doesnt mean the acc isnt better 

3) and you can call it equal second rate bowls. but playing 10-2 wku (with top 25 votes) isnt the same as playing 6-6 utsa which is the disparity in our bowl games 

4) the big 10 the most power p5 conference has only had 1 winning bowl record the last 10 year..ONE!! bad bowl records means tougher bowls 

Uh, yes you did.  Your lack of self awareness is telling.  You want credit for what Houston did earlier in the year when they beat ranked teams, but you want to act like the bowl was different.  We get it, bowls might not be a good indication.  That said, it's still the same team.  You don't get to chest pound about what Houston did, and then discount later in the year.  If your league was great, you would beat G5 teams in bowl games.  Your league is mediocre, and you lose to G5 teams in droves in your bowl games.  If Houston can tool Oklahoma and Louisville like fine leather, you should be able to beat SDSU.  If you're truly on a P6 level, your 5th place team should beat Western Kentucky.  You aren't at that level, so you didn't.

And no, I don't claim Houston was the best AAC last year.  I said Houston beat two teams that were ranked highly and Houston was ranked much of the year, and SDSU trounced them.  There's nothing inaccurate about what I said. 

PS, I don't think South Florida was anything special.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

10 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Uh, yes you did.  Your lack of self awareness is telling.  You want credit for what Houston did earlier in the year when they beat ranked teams, but you want to act like the bowl was different.  We get it, bowls might not be a good indication.  That said, it's still the same team.  You don't get to chest pound about what Houston did, and then discount later in the year.  If your league was great, you would beat G5 teams in bowl games.  Your league is mediocre, and you lose to G5 teams in droves in your bowl games.  If Houston can tool Oklahoma and Louisville like fine leather, you should be able to beat SDSU.  If you're truly on a P6 level, your 5th place team should beat Western Kentucky.  You aren't at that level, so you didn't.

And no, I don't claim Houston was the best AAC last year.  I said Houston beat two teams that were ranked highly and Houston was ranked much of the year, and SDSU trounced them.  There's nothing inaccurate about what I said. 

PS, I don't think South Florida was anything special.

The pre-season hype for South Florida is predictable. They have a very good QB, and a lot of starters returning. However, their OOC schedule is atrocious. They play in a weaker AAC East Division, and they get two of three crossover games at Home. With all that being said, I think they slip up once OOC, and will lose one conference game. This will effectively eliminate them from the Access Bowl conversation. History has shown that statistically speaking, first year coaches lose a few games they should not.

Yes, Herman, and Larry Coker were a few exceptions. But by and large, teams slip a bit, even when the new coach inherits a veteran squad. 

15 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Pretty reasonable.

LMAO. The fact that you're over here on the edges of your chair over the AAC TV deal is hilarious. I am hearing much bigger numbers than that.

tumblr_md60lhlXgo1qcga5ro1_500.gif

The M_C needs to invest in their programs like the AAC has. The M_C needs to win some games and gain some semblance of relevance. 

The M_C has no history of popping a rating and winning championships. The AAC does. They'll get paid for it.

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

5 hours ago, fanhood said:

The pre-season hype for South Florida is predictable. They have a very good QB, and a lot of starters returning. However, their OOC schedule is atrocious. They play in a weaker AAC East Division, and they get two of three crossover games at Home. With all that being said, I think they slip up once OOC, and will lose one conference game. This will effectively eliminate them from the Access Bowl conversation. History has shown that statistically speaking, first year coaches lose a few games they should not.

Yes, Herman, and Larry Coker were a few exceptions. But by and large, teams slip a bit, even when the new coach inherits a veteran squad. 

I have USF going 10-2 but beating Memphis in the AAC title game.

I could see an 11-2 USF getting the Access Bowl. A lot will depend on how teams like Boise and SDSU perform.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, FormerFrog said:

LMAO. The fact that you're over here on the edges of your chair over the AAC TV deal is hilarious. I am hearing much bigger numbers than that.

Who's on the edge of their seat?  I said I thought you'd get 2 million a team.  That's nothing special, and appropriate for a nothing special conference.

1 hour ago, FormerFrog said:

Again... Where are the national articles applauding THIS conference??

More importantly than all that... What's there to applaud?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/07/18/top-10-group-of-five-teams-boise-state-tcu-utah/486033001/

Here's an article from USA Today this past July 18, 2017 clearly stating that the best AAC team of the past decade was Houston in 2015, followed by UCF in 2013 and Navy in 2015 when looking at G5 teams.  Of course this list favors the MW because it looks at on the field performance.

The AAC peaks at #7.  The MW takes spots #1-#6  (although TCU is now in the Big 12 as FF keeps reminding everyone).

SDSU is fairly certain to place a top ten of the past decade and knock the AAC further down the list.

18 hours ago, pesik said:

thats a lie, the aac fans have always been supportive of sdsu when sdsu was invited...they never felt we were too good...if anything tilll this very day it is sdsu fans who come to the AAC forums to trash tulane as being too good for them

some Cincy fans were like that but they are like that with everyone .. im not gonna lie we talked about how we didnt think sdsu football was gonna be good versus us, but not to the point we thought they shouldnt be invited, more of a glad you are here but you are going to be our bottom feeders..ive been on that forum forever and on the old espn blog and when sdsu was expected to join you are flat out making out how we treated ya'll

we joke about being too good for sdsu "now" becuase of fanhood (who stirs things up), the stadium situation and our love of trolling the g4, but if an actual invite was given most aac would be happy...

lastly you guys post more there than we post here...why are you acting like we just came here to tournament you, me and fanhood have made a frienemy situation and thats mostly from him trash talking on the AAC forums

Who would that be? I have to admit I rarely even lurk on that board anymore. Maybe for five minutes every couple months. However, which Aztecs besides fanhood and the poster whose name is verboten here ever post there these days? The latter guy seems quite active but from what I've read he's also been quite respectful.

UC fans apparently haven't noticed that after a 3-year 33-7 (.697) run under Brian Kelly, they've gone 24-14 (.583) under Butch Jones and 29-22 (.568) under Tuberville. That despite upgrading their stadium and paying Tuberville a king's ransom and if Luke Fickell's one year as HC at Ohio State is any indication of his ability to run things, UC won't be doing any better going forward. As to fans of the other AAC schools, if I've misspoken about them (FoneyFrog excepted), mea culpa.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

I have USF going 10-2 but beating Memphis in the AAC title game.

I could see an 11-2 USF getting the Access Bowl. A lot will depend on how teams like Boise and SDSU perform.

Maybe, but a 11-2 SDSU, Boise, Wyo, CSU, La Tech, or WKU likely get in in front of them. The USF schedule is just bad, and all of those teams would have better wins than USF would. 

3 minutes ago, fanhood said:

Maybe, but a 11-2 SDSU, Boise, Wyo, CSU, La Tech, or WKU likely get in in front of them. The USF schedule is just bad, and all of those teams would have better wins than USF would. 

preseason ranking matter...usf has montain leads there...and before you say they dont in the cfp, look at the first cfp poll its mirrored trends of preseason expectations

Of course pre-season rankings matter and assuming USF takes care of business against the OOC dreck it plays, the Bulls figure to go into their final three toughest AAC games 9-0. Even if they lose one of those they shouldn't fall so far as to surrender the highest ranking of any G5 team.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, pesik said:

preseason ranking matter...usf has montain leads there...and before you say they dont in the cfp, look at the first cfp poll its mirrored trends of preseason expectations

I cannot refute your opinion based on minimal evidence, with another opinion based on minimal evidence, so lets just agree to disagree on this point. Glad you seem to agree that USF's schedule is atrocious.

41 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Who would that be? I have to admit I rarely even lurk on that board anymore. Maybe for five minutes every couple months. However, which Aztecs besides fanhood and the poster whose name is verboten here ever post there these days? The latter guy seems quite active but from what I've read he's also been quite respectful.

UC fans apparently haven't noticed that after a 3-year 33-7 (.697) run under Brian Kelly, they've gone 24-14 (.583) under Butch Jones and 29-22 (.568) under Tuberville. That despite upgrading their stadium and paying Tuberville a king's ransom and if Luke Fickell's one year as HC at Ohio State is any indication of his ability to run things, UC won't be doing any better going forward. As to fans of the other AAC schools, if I've misspoken about them (FoneyFrog excepted), mea culpa.

define respectful, fanhood regularly calls us delusional and undermines every single team in the AAC and regularly mocks...but i dont think the poster there mind ....but  everytime sdsu losses we make threads trash talking sdsu becuase of him lol

but we actually have quite some sdsu posters SDSU-Alum2003 , dshawfan, Badfish, SteveAztec they dont post often and mostly only on sdsu related stuff (like the trash taking sdsu threads)

23 minutes ago, pesik said:

define respectful, fanhood regularly calls us delusional and undermines every single team in the AAC and regularly mocks...but i dont think the poster there mind ....but  everytime sdsu losses we make threads trash talking sdsu becuase of him lol

but we actually have quite some sdsu posters SDSU-Alum2003 , dshawfan, Badfish, SteveAztec they dont post often and mostly only on sdsu related stuff (like the trash taking sdsu threads)

Ha! Wait, what? Is it disrespectful to point to the fact that guaranteed contracts are what is hurting ESPN, when people irrationally claim the AAC will get $8 million a year? Is it disrespectful to call people delusional, when they claim the "Access Bowl is ours" after only going to it once in three years? Is it disrespectful to point to the MW record of 5-5 (or 6-5 depending on how you look at it) against the AAC, when people claim the AAC is a better football conference? If so, you sir, are indeed delusional when it comes to this topic. You should not take that as disrespect. My best friends and I appreciate when we constructively point out each others flaws. Good night.

The record is 6 and 5 @fanhood

2-0 in Bowl games

Mountain West is (6-5) against American Athletic

Average score: Mountain West  30.3  -  American Athletic  30.3

In bowl games: Mountain West is (2-0) against American Athletic
                 Average score: Mountain West  38.0  -  American Athletic  8.5

Per decade
             W     L     T   Win %    PFPG    PAPG
  2010's     6     5     0    54.5    30.3    30.3

Per year
             W     L     T   Win %    PFPG    PAPG
    2016     2     2     0    50.0    28.3    29.3
    2015     1     2     0    33.3    24.7    26.7
    2014     2     1     0    66.7    31.3    28.3
    2013     1     0     0   100.0    52.0    51.0

All games
2016/12/17  San Diego St   34  -  Houston        10     !! Las Vegas Bowl !! 
2016/10/01  Air Force      28  -  Navy           14                          
2016/09/24  Fresno St      41  -  Tulsa          48  OT                      
2016/09/03  San Jose St    10  -  Tulsa          45                          
2015/12/24  San Diego St   42  -  Cincinnati      7     !! Hawaii Bowl !!    
2015/10/03  Air Force      11  -  Navy           33                          
2015/09/12  New Mexico     21  -  Tulsa          40                          
2014/10/04  Colorado St    42  -  Tulsa          17                          
2014/09/20  UNLV           14  -  Houston        47                          
2014/09/13  Boise St       38  -  Connecticut    21                          
2013/08/29  Fresno St      52  -  Rutgers        51  OT   

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/mountainwest/americanathletic.shtml

2 hours ago, pesik said:

So there are just five Aztecs who post on the AAC board anymore and only one of them trashes your conference and then mainly only on SDSU-related topics. Doesn't sound all that heinous to me and certainly nothing akin to the FoneyFrog UCF guy who trolls so regularly and pathetically here. I suspect it wouldn't be all that difficult to guess which moniker he posts on over there.

Boom goes the dynamite.