Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Early recruiting results really looking up.

Boise is plugging along. Nothing special as far as this class goes, yet, but that does seem to be the difference between Harsin and Pete. Pete liked to get his commits early and hold on to them, Harsin tends to usually land his more high profile recruits later in the process.

It does seem like the rest of the conference is doing well, though. In particular, SDSU and Colorado State both landed a monster recruit. High level P5 caliber. Fresno is doing really well also. Could be a banner paper recruiting year.

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Boise is plugging along. Nothing special as far as this class goes, yet, but that does seem to be the difference between Harsin and Pete. Pete liked to get his commits early and hold on to them, Harsin tends to usually land his more high profile recruits later in the process.

It does seem like the rest of the conference is doing well, though. In particular, SDSU and Colorado State both landed a monster recruit. High level P5 caliber. Fresno is doing really well also. Could be a banner paper recruiting year.

I just posted this same thing in the Boise thread before seeing this.

Some FS fans are in full meltdown mode over recruiting, but I think JT and crew will see an increase in interest once their style of FB is displayed. My feeling is that your FB season is your best recruiting tool...it showcases your program and style. My hope is that the season will bring FS a stronger grade of recruits.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

5 hours ago, Dogs4Me said:

Some FS fans are in full meltdown mode over recruiting, but I think JT and crew will see an increase in interest once their style of FB is displayed. My feeling is that your FB season is your best recruiting tool...it showcases your program and style. My hope is that the season will bring FS a stronger grade of recruits.

It's probably going to take a year or two.  Kids have short attention spans and the HS seniors this year know FSU as a losing program.  You guys are going to need to have a decent year (which I think you will) and then be in a bowl next year to really get momentum rolling.  You can't expect to go from 0 to 100 in one year.

15 hours ago, Dogs4Me said:

I think Harry is the only one having a meltdown lol. The guy needs another hobby. 

Fresno should recruit well. Back in the WAC days they were to only team that seemed to give Boise a run for their money recruiting ranking wise. Hawai'i is another one that should do well.

2 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

UNLV is also recruiting well (for UNLV). I think we have 7 recruits and 5 of them are ranked 3 star by one service or another.

UNLV has done surprisingly well under Sanchez. 

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

UNLV has done surprisingly well under Sanchez. 

Agreed. He has done a very good job of improving the talent on the roster and he has improved the product on the field. If we could get a solid QB and a pass rush we could be in the mix with SDSU in the West.

26 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

Agreed. He has done a very good job of improving the talent on the roster and he has improved the product on the field. If we could get a solid QB and a pass rush we could be in the mix with SDSU in the West.

I think Gabe McCoy is going to be a breakout player on defense.  He looked good in the limited action he had last year, and he'll start this year.

On 7/27/2017 at 0:48 PM, kingpotato said:

RAMS have pulled in a 4* WR and a 3* CB.  Beyond that we have all 2* and unrateds.  We're probably not going to kill it in the rankings this year.  However, Bobo has shown me that he can get the guys.  I'm going to not worry about the rankings and just see what we end up with.  Bobo is either getting some diamonds under the radar, or he's mailing it in knowing that an SEC job is imminent.  I really, really don't think it's the latter.  He hasn't earned that promotion yet.

15 hours ago, Headbutt said:

RAMS have pulled in a 4* WR and a 3* CB.  Beyond that we have all 2* and unrateds.  We're probably not going to kill it in the rankings this year.  However, Bobo has shown me that he can get the guys.  I'm going to not worry about the rankings and just see what we end up with.  Bobo is either getting some diamonds under the radar, or he's mailing it in knowing that an SEC job is imminent.  I really, really don't think it's the latter.  He hasn't earned that promotion yet.

Has he?  Gallup, a JC guy, is the only guy he's shown he can get to me so far.  Has anybody else from his first two classes made an impact?

On 7/29/2017 at 3:50 PM, HoosierRebel said:

I don't think you guys are even in the same area code defensively.  Have a long way to go IMHO.

54 minutes ago, k5james said:

I don't think you guys are even in the same area code defensively.  Have a long way to go IMHO.

Our linebackers have been solid, but our pass rush has been so bad it puts a lot or pressure on the rest of the D.  If we could get a pass rush it would help the rest of the D, especially the secondary.

With that said, SDSU definitely has a stout defense. If we picked up a pass rush we would still be behind SDSU on defense, but our offense will have a lot of weapons over the next few years. 

Guest RoscoesDad

Next year will be the first year I have ever had to worry about UNLV hanging onto their commitments.  One of the thing about getting on some under radar kids is that if they have good SR years, they will likely be decommits unless the program absolutely blows up this year.  If we have another year with no bowl game, I'd be shocked if we are able to keep many of the guys on our list now.

1 hour ago, k5james said:

Has he?  Gallup, a JC guy, is the only guy he's shown he can get to me so far.  Has anybody else from his first two classes made an impact?

QB Collin Hill, WR Detrich Clark, DB Anthony Hawkins, RB Marvin Kinsey, DB Jordan Fogel, OL Colby Meeks,  OL Paul Thurston, DE Toby Mcbride, and many more.  All young  and all clearly more talented than the players they have come in to replace.  Bobo hasn't been here long enough to see all the results.  His first class was mostly honoring Mac's commits, but there's no question he has upgraded the roster talent since he's been here.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

QB Collin Hill, WR Detrich Clark, DB Anthony Hawkins, RB Marvin Kinsey, DB Jordan Fogel, OL Colby Meeks,  OL Paul Thurston, DE Toby Mcbride, and many more.  All young  and all clearly more talented than the players they have come in to replace.  Bobo hasn't been here long enough to see all the results.  His first class was mostly honoring Mac's commits, but there's no question he has upgraded the roster talent since he's been here.

You listed a lot of names but have any really had an impact on the field?

30 minutes ago, k5james said:

You listed a lot of names but have any really had an impact on the field?

That's pretty unfair. He has only been there two years. A coaches first class is usually a makeshift group put together in a short amount of time. So he really only has had a chance for trFR and RSFR to make an impact. He is doing well according to the services and beating out some pretty good football schools for some players.

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

That's pretty unfair. He has only been there two years. A coaches first class is usually a makeshift group put together in a short amount of time. So he really only has had a chance for trFR and RSFR to make an impact. He is doing well according to the services and beating out some pretty good football schools for some players.

I'm not the one who said, "Bobo has shown me he can get the guys." after mentioning that stars don't matter.

I was just asking what was he basing that on.