Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Big 10 may revise fcs football scheduling restrictions

There has been some outcry from some Big 10 schools since that rule was enacted by the league. I think the pressure to relax it or change finally came down on the league especially I think possibly cost wise where in some cases it is cheaper for schools to bring in a I-AA team to their stadium instead of let's say someone from the Sun Belt or MWC

43 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

There has been some outcry from some Big 10 schools since that rule was enacted by the league. I think the pressure to relax it or change finally came down on the league especially I think possibly cost wise where in some cases it is cheaper for schools to bring in a I-AA team to their stadium instead of let's say someone from the Sun Belt or MWC

No way in hell should money be the issue here...consider that the B10 and its institutions are filthy rich. If anything this is a conscious strategy to prevent legitimizing regional competition (i.e.MAC/AAC) through increased direct competition caused by the rule change. Specifically, that rule probably wasn't in the best interest of programs like Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, and Rutgers.

On 7/20/2017 at 1:19 PM, AztecSU said:

No way in hell should money be the issue here...consider that the B10 and its institutions are filthy rich. If anything this is a conscious strategy to prevent legitimizing regional competition (i.e.MAC/AAC) through increased direct competition caused by the rule change. Specifically, that rule probably wasn't in the best interest of programs like Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, and Rutgers.

Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St and Wisconsin also didn't like the rule when it was passed. However everything in College Football comes down to money now. 

9 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St and Wisconsin also didn't like the rule when it was passed. However everything in College Football comes down to money now. 

When you perennially schedule 7 and 8 home games a rule change like this impacts long term ability to keep that up. Which explains the complaints from those 4.

6 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

When you perennially schedule 7 and 8 home games a rule change like this impacts long term ability to keep that up. Which explains the complaints from those 4.

For whichever reason for the schools in Big 10, either money or other means, a lot of schools weren't happy with the no more FCS teams rule. Now stepping back, kind of looks like a good idea for a way to get FCS teams off the schedule because they believe that will improve their schedules but in working reality and money wise probably not a big wise move.